I have more money than I tought I would have so I decided that I was going to buy myself a very nice guitar, Hey what the hell we only have one life to live...

I have some questions about american stratocasters, I realized that there is the standard and vintage guitars, what's the difference ?

Because I kinda really like to yellow-ish mapple, oh and I want a rosewood fretboard.

What's the difference between vintage and standard and between all the vintages ?
The Standards are your basic model of Strat. The Americans (hell, the Mexicans are pretty nice too) are pretty good quality, and I think they'd be a guitar to last you. The Vintage models are based off of Strats from various different years, mostly pre-CBS ones. Each Vintage has some different features. Usually you'll get different pickups, neck shape, and finishes. As for which one you want, I think the only way is to try them, and figure out which one is best. Also, check out the Fender website and look at the specs.
^^ Exactly, do not forget that headstock size is also a factor in the vintage series.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Yeah, usually the 70's Strats have a much bigger headstock. I think it's 70's...

But consider this. A standard runs about... say $900-$1000ish and a Vintage could run you like $1200, but with that extra $200 plus, you could easily swap your pups or tuners or buy some pedals to modify your tone to your exact preferences, whereas spending it all on a Vintage would leave you with that exact guitar (not saying that's bad, those are sexy).
Are the pickups in the vintage really better ? Like massive improvement ? Because I love the aged look of the vintage, man it's sexy. I think they have a use one ( very good condition ) 3 tone sunburst, vintage of course for 1079.99 $ at the music store in my city.

For the gear, I have pretty much all I need.
Last edited by TinyJimbo at Jul 31, 2008,
They aren't really better, just different. Different eras have hotter pickups, and soforth.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Hmm, at that price I'd consider it then. But why have a pre-aged guitar when your guitar can age along with you? NOW that's companionship, right there, that is. *looks around* Yep... sure is.

It's all up to you... either choice is a good one.
^^ You are thinking of Relic'd guitars. The Fender Vintage series just takes the guitar's qualities of that era. It's as if you bought a 2007 Strat, it would have features such as S1 Switching, but a 2008 would have modern saddles, and a thinner finish. The vintage series just makes it easier to get features from that era.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke