Poll: should heath ledger be nominated for an academy award?
Poll Options
View poll results: should heath ledger be nominated for an academy award?
yes
436 81%
no
53 10%
maybe
47 9%
Voters: 536.
Page 1 of 4
i was thinking about putting this in the batman thread, but this is more about heath i think.

i think he should at least be nominated for best actor. whether he deserves to win will still remain to be seen, but his performance of the joker was one of the best i have ever seen. this has nothing to do about his death either, when i watched the film i completely forgot he died he was so good. i really don't know of any performance so far this year that could top his, so i think he deserves to be nominated.
i agree
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
I honestly dont care...
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Of course, but I don't really see the difference since well he's....dead....
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
I believe that sex is the most beautiful, natural, and wholesome thing that money can buy.
his performance was phenomenal.
i loved it.

yes, he should be nominated
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I honestly dont care...
I don't know why you clicked on this thread and posted this, then.....

Anyways, I think it was nomination worthy, but I'm not sure it was worth the win. I don't think he was THAT good. People are making it seem like he did a Gregory Peck performance. I thought he did great, but when people say it's the greatest movie of all time, with the greatest acting performances, I can't help but think it's ridiculously overrated.
Looking at his amazing performance in The Dark Knight, I don't think there is any question as to whether or not he should be nominated. And as for him being dead, I don't think that matters, seeing as awards are meant to commend for a job well done. Why should it matter if he is dead or not?
Quote by The Madcap

Anyways, I think it was nomination worthy, but I'm not sure it was worth the win. I don't think he was THAT good. People are making it seem like he did a Gregory Peck performance. I thought he did great, but when people say it's the greatest movie of all time, with the greatest acting performances, I can't help but think it's ridiculously overrated.

exactly what i think
I think the Joker is hot
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
No. He shouldn't.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by The Madcap

My thoughts exactly. Was he good? Yeah. But most of my friends refuse to believe that any of the reason his performance is thought of so highly is because he died. Should he be nominated? Yes. Should he win? Depends on the competition.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I honestly dont care...

this. C'mon people. He's gone. Just because his last film was great doesn't mean we should dig him up, stuff him, and put him in a museum with a medal around his neck.
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Metal_Hed_23, will you marry me?

Quote by drewfromutah
If she takes her pill properly and you still pill out or use a condom, just quit having sex altogether. The damn pill was built so that you can ride bareback and film your own creampie movies afterwards.
Quote by Van Halen Man
Of course, but I don't really see the difference since well he's....dead....

dude. come on. jimi hendrix is dead and he's stll being extremely overrated!!!yeah he's awesome but everyone treats him like god. if he's dead why can't keath get credit for being an awesome actor?even in death people remember.
He'll win the award just for dying. I won't comment on his acting, I haven't seen the Dark Knight.
Quote by The Madcap

see i somewhat agree with you and of course respect your opinion

however i think people that break out of thier box and do something completely different than roles they are normally put into and nail it deserve it.

granted i havn't followed his whole career but i saw a knights tale and assume most of his roles are somewhat similiar. so for someone to break out of the regular box and play a phsyco killer and nail it, i think that is good talent and possible for one.

tbh i don't really know right now any other actors that have done that recently??

does any one else?
Quote by Metal_Hed_23
this. C'mon people. He's gone. Just because his last film was great doesn't mean we should dig him up, stuff him, and put him in a museum with a medal around his neck.
I don't think whether or not he's dead has anything to do with it. The award title is "Best Supporting Actor" and they're supposed to identify who that was. It's not called "Best Supporting Actor who's still alive".
He will win it.

poor guy though,
at least he went out in style,
with clown facepaint and a suit that never goes out of style.

I would've wear that suit to prom if I had it.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Yeah he should. Everyone who went to see it didn't think he was great because he was dead, but because of his performance. Based on that, yeah he deserves it.
Not once during the entire movie did I see a shred of Heath through that face paint. He completely disappeared in that role, and his laugh made me shit bricks. Dead or not, I think he at least deserves a nomination. Winning one is a whole different thing. That's a question that will be answered when we see the other nominees.
He did a phenominal job at his role. The rest of the acting was pretty campy imo. He made the movie as good as it was. He should get the academy award for best actor, but the movie didn't do much to deserve anything itself.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Quote by lbc_sublime

however i think people that break out of thier box and do something completely different than roles they are normally put into and nail it deserve it.

granted i havn't followed his whole career but i saw a knights tale and assume most of his roles are somewhat similiar. so for someone to break out of the regular box and play a phsyco killer and nail it, i think that is good talent and possible for one.

tbh i don't really know right now any other actors that have done that recently??

does any one else?

i wasn't supportive of Ledger winning any awards before, but i'll admit this post is making me think...
Quote by lbc_sublime

does any one else?

yeah, i see what you're saying. jim carrey might be an example if you've watched "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" which i think is his best performance, even though it's a non-comedic role. i couldn't believe joel was the same guy as lloyd from dumb and dumber.
Excellent performance, but unfortunately he is dead, so I think it should go to the next person. Perhaps an honorary memorial or award to the family. I'll probably get flamed but oh well.
Quote by happytimeharry
Not once during the entire movie did I see a shred of Heath through that face paint. He completely disappeared in that role, and his laugh made me shit bricks. Dead or not, I think he at least deserves a nomination. Winning one is a whole different thing. That's a question that will be answered when we see the other nominees.

+1

Jack my swag
No kidding, happytimeharry, when I left the theater I was like 'wait, that was Heath Ledger? Really?'
Hasn't someone already been awarded an Academy Award posthumously?

And I think his performance was better than any other actor could have done for the part. Doesn't mean he was the best of the year (although it was extremely good)
**** no. He's dead. Give the honor to someone who's alive.
That's like putting Adolf Hitler's ghost on trial for crimes against humanity or putting Johnny Unitas on the NFL All-Star team.
Quote by original=punk
Hasn't someone already been awarded an Academy Award posthumously?

Yeah, there's been a few posthumous nominations and wins.

Quote by dannay

So even if the other nominees are complete shit compared to Ledger, one of them should get it simply because they are physically able to accept it? That is complete bullshit. The award should go to the person who truly deserves it, living or not. If one of the others is truly better then so be it, but it should NOT be passed on to someone else if they really didn't earn it.
Yeah, I was worried that everyone was hyping up his acting because of his death, but honestly, he did the best acting job I've seen this summer, probably nomination worthy, yes.
Haven't all of his recent roles been pretty diverse and well acted?
Quote by Metorical
Looking at his amazing performance in The Dark Knight, I don't think there is any question as to whether or not he should be nominated. And as for him being dead, I don't think that matters, seeing as awards are meant to commend for a job well done. Why should it matter if he is dead or not?

They're meant to be. The Oscars in particular have a penchant for favouring actors playing, for example, disabled roles and the such.
I think he deserves it, but if he wins there's gunna be a legion of douches who say he only won it because he died
Quote by dannay
That's like putting Adolf Hitler's ghost on trial for crimes against humanity or putting Johnny Unitas on the NFL All-Star team.

That, wasn't a very smart comment (in my opinion). People receive posthumous awards quite often. After seeing the movie, i can honestly say i've never seen an actor disappear into a role like that and help to create a character that almost makes you love him — the whole movie, you keep thinking you want to see more of the Joker. A lot of people may not know this, but i read that he actually approached Nolan about the role, after seeing the first film and thinking about a way to portray the Joker. Then he spent nearly a month perfecting the mannerisms and voice (one different from the 1989 Joker by Jack) and laugh, (attempting) to catch up on the comic history of the Joker and so on and so forth. Anybody who steps out of his box, creates and dedicates himself to a role, and then NAILS that performance completely deserves that honor. It's what the Academy Awards *used* to be about. A nomination is the least they could do.
Quote by snow blind
I think he deserves it, but if he wins there's gunna be a legion of douches who say he only won it because he died

It's not douchery if there's the distinct possiblity that Heath's death gets him the award over someone who delivered an equally fantastic performance and still has the ability to breathe.

Quote by happytimeharry
Yeah, there's been a few posthumous nominations and wins.

Only one actor has won an academy award posthumously, back in 1976. Peter Finch.

Including that in my first point- 1976 was the year when Taxi Driver was released. Robert de Niro was sweeping up the awards for best actor with a 3 mile wide broom. Peter Finch dies in the Oscar run up. Peter Finch won the best actor Oscar.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by dannay

Or how the Sex Pistols were inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame even though they were broken up. Who gives a crap?

But the next time the award recipient has two broken hands so he can't grab the award, I'll be sure to have them call you to decide of s/he can actually get the award.
He probably should

But my rating scale goes as follows

if brandon lee got an academy award Then yes

if brandon lee didnt then no

Because i feel like this whole thing is crow all over again
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Quote by The Madcap
I don't think whether or not he's dead has anything to do with it. The award title is "Best Supporting Actor" and they're supposed to identify who that was. It's not called "Best Supporting Actor who's still alive".

Anthony Hopkins Won Lead for Silence Of The Lambs when he was only in it for something like 15 minutes.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Only one actor has won an academy award posthumously, back in 1972. Peter Finch.

I was talking about the Oscars in general, not just actor.
Quote by myself101
Anthony Hopkins Won Lead for Silence Of The Lambs when he was only in it for something like 15 minutes.

the very first scene that you see him when jodie foster wants to talk to him in his cell, i literally got shivers through my whole body.
Page 1 of 4