Music by Korn? I know they're known for using the low B string (guitar and bass)
You can take any 4 string song and play it on a 5 string- rearrang the fingering of songs you like so you include the low B. Remember, the main advantage of having a low B is not for those lower notes- it's the fact that you can have more notes in a single hand position. It'll help you become a more economic bassist (in regards to movement). The less your hand moves, the better it is for your stamina.
Most songs by Fingereleven are good.
They all use 5-strings basslines.
You stole my Overture
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You can take any 4 string song and play it on a 5 string

Now that you mention it, I'm not a fan of alternate tuning so usually I play a drop D song using the B string. This depends on the fingering pattern of the song but generally it's easy for me.
yeah korn uses 5string basses and 7string guitars but there detuned so the B=A the E=D and so on...korn rulz
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by pwrmax
Now that you mention it, I'm not a fan of alternate tuning so usually I play a drop D song using the B string. This depends on the fingering pattern of the song but generally it's easy for me.

Yet impossible for other songs, which is why thinking that a low B eliminates the need for drop D tuning is pretty naive.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yet impossible for other songs, which is why thinking that a low B eliminates the need for drop D tuning is pretty naive.

By all means the low B is not a replacement for drop D but it can be helpful when the gauge of your strings doesn't handle drop D too well. I usually only do it for slow and heavy songs and anything that I have the dexterity to play with a 5th string.
Any song from Fortress by Protest the Hero (Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb) and all of Between the Buried and Me (G#-C#-F#-B-E).
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by Ranxston
Any song from Fortress by Protest the Hero (Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb) and all of Between the Buried and Me (G#-C#-F#-B-E).

+10
Great bands and great bassists
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
Quote by deathnote29
+10
Great bands and great bassists

saw both bands live and both were beast, BTBAM the bass was a little low but besides that awesome.

so how do you do this on a 5 string?
down tune the to d, and the b to a? or just e to d? or what?
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
you could probably tune the 5th string B to a D
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
you could probably tune the 5th string B to a D

making the tuning go
d
e
a
d
g
that looks a little retarded to me...
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by Jake the Peg
so how do you do this on a 5 string?
down tune the to d, and the b to a? or just e to d? or what?

You just drop the E to a D. If you're playing a song written in drop D there's no need to drop the B.

And to whoever said uptune the B to a D... just no. FAR too much tension on the neck.
FAR too much tension on the neck

in sonsie's sig:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
clearly not.
lol hey i was just spitballing there cut me some slack
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
chill my brother i was jus messin.
lol koool

but if anyone ask i really do know all
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
no, seriously, how much did you pay MetalBass 77 to discrace himself in this way?