ok...

READ:

here goes. I have this Fender Twin. I don't play with it. It needs some fixing. I think maybe with some work, it could be a good amp. I will not put celestions in it. needs new tubes and speakers and I play all styles ranging from metal, shred, bluegrass, blues, and jazz.

I AM NOT trading it for an MG. AND I AM NOT getting ripped off by the store owner. I'll keep it and fix it up. Then if I want a different amp, I'll have a good twin..and a different amp.

Thanks again.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Aug 1, 2008,
the guy at your shop is an ass for trying to coax you into trading a fender twin for a marshall MG.

stay away from him.

i'm not sure what year yours is, but i'm assuming it's easily worth $700+
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Aug 1, 2008,
Dude...

A Fender Twin for a Marshall MG...

Dude...

It's a process, not an event.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
the guy at your shop is an ass for trying to coax you into trading a fender twin for a marshall MG.

stay away from him.

i'm not sure what year yours is, but i'm assuming it's easily worth $700+

Yeah, i was thinking with brand new speakers and tubes in it..I could get at least 700 out of it. I just need someone to buy it
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
Yeah, i was thinking with brand new speakers and tubes in it..I could get at least 700 out of it. I just need someone to buy it

you'd be better off just leaving it stock. if you put greenbacks in it, they will probably blow because together they'd have 50w power rating, while the twin is 85-100watts.

if you put vintage 30s in... it would sound very spikey, trebley, and thin. not a good match for a twin.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
so..what should I do about the speakers? what about..Eminence?

if i left it stock, it'd sound like crap because the speakers sound like crap because they're blown.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
did you ask if he would buy it outright with no trade??? if so thats an option as well could use the money and buy w/e brand you wanted then
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Quote by AnthonyG
did you ask if he would buy it outright with no trade??? if so thats an option as well could use the money and buy w/e brand you wanted then

he won't buy it. trade only. he runs a music store..he's not going to want to pay ME for a broken down amp.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
A guy has a vintage store and doesn't have anything good? Like a Mesa or Peavey?

The Fender twin is an amazing amazing amp, widely regarded as having one of the greatest clean tones in history. Of course Fender still makes it, its a classic, and runs for about $1500 new. If you'd rather play a Peavey, I'm sorry but you are tone deaf. Also, do not ruin a perfectly good Fender twin with vintage 30s. Get a good pedal, re-cone the speakers or replace them with Jensons or eminence.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by al112987
A guy has a vintage store and doesn't have anything good? Like a Mesa or Peavey?

The Fender twin is an amazing amazing amp, widely regarded as having one of the greatest clean tones in history. Of course Fender still makes it, its a classic, and runs for about $1500 new. If you'd rather play a Peavey, I'm sorry but you are tone deaf. Also, do not ruin a perfectly good Fender twin with vintage 30s. Get a good pedal, re-cone the speakers or replace them with Jensons or eminence.

I know they have great clean tones. I've played em at guitar center..with a strat. But I play Ibanez guitars and I don't do clean much. I need something aggressive that has a good bite to it, but can also clean up when I want it to. I've played Peaveys and Mesas and they both sound amazing for the style I play.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
I know they have great clean tones. I've played em at guitar center..with a strat. But I play Ibanez guitars and I don't do clean much. I need something aggressive that has a good bite to it, but can also clean up when I want it to. I've played Peaveys and Mesas and they both sound amazing for the style I play.

Yea I would just sell it on eBay or craigslist or whatever. What would be your budget for a new amp? Just the money you get off selling this one?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Yea I would just sell it on eBay or craigslist or whatever. What would be your budget for a new amp? Just the money you get off selling this one?

Nope..12-1500.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
O M G !

*cough*

Edit: OK so re-read. What is it about the Twin you liked the most and what do you feel it is missing? Is this your only Amp resource? Sorry, do you own an OD pedal?

And what else can you tell us about the Vox amps they have...that might work?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
O M G !

*cough*

Edit: OK so re-read. What is it about the Twin you liked the most and what do you feel it is missing? Is this your only Amp resource? Sorry, do you own an OD pedal?

And what else can you tell us about the Vox amps they have...that might work?

I've never played my twin with my guitar and my pedal.

I have a digitech rp80 and a digitech GNX3. I can make all kinds of sounds with it, and it sounds decent.

However..If I DO fix up the twin and I can get it to sound the way I want..I'd consider buying individual stomp boxes because I want to get into stomp boxes anyway. They sound better than multi-pedals. Maybe a tube screamer, or the satchurator.

what'd be a good setup for the Twin? I'd need a delay pedal, a good OD/Dist, and a Chorus. I know boss makes good delay and chorus, but there are gobs of distortion pedals out there..which one would sound best with a twin?
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Aug 1, 2008,
Just get the freaking speakers reconed dude, you aren't going to find something that will sound better, unless you pay a LOT more (aka blues)
Is this even a 2x12 combo?
Quote by calebrocker
I've never played my twin with my guitar and my pedal.

I have a digitech rp80 and a digitech GNX3. I can make all kinds of sounds with it, and it sounds compromised.

However..If I DO fix up the twin and I can get it to sound the way I want..I'd consider buying individual stomp boxes because I want to get into stomp boxes anyway. They sound better than multi-pedals. Maybe a tube screamer, or the satchurator.

what'd be a good setup for the Twin? I'd need a delay pedal, a good OD/Dist, and a Chorus. I know boss makes a good delay, but there are gobs of distortion pedals out there..which one would sound best with a twin?

Fix'd.

As far as distortion goes, for straight up distortion, i'd go maxon SD-9. I would suggest against chorus though, because it won't sound the best going through the front of the amp. I'm betting it doesn't have a FX loop.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by kool98769
Just get the freaking speakers reconed dude, you aren't going to find something that will sound better, unless you pay a LOT more (aka blues)
Is this even a 2x12 combo?

yes, it's a Fender Twin 2x12 combo. I think it's 95 watts. It's old I got it second hand and the guy who had it before me played LOADS of shows with it and never changed the tubes or fixed the speakers. It's been through a lot.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
yes, it's a Fender Twin 2x12 combo. I think it's 95 watts. It's old I got it second hand and the guy who had it before me played LOADS of shows with it and never changed the tubes or fixed the speakers. It's been through a lot.

I see.
The speakers and tubes probably didn't really need replacing.
Speakers can last many many years, and they were probably old tubes, which were made to last 20 or so years back then.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
yeah, but now it sounds gravely when I play it. it's hard to describe.

want me to put up a recording up so you guys can hear it to see exactly what it needs? I'll do it at different volumes, effects, channels. I just know this amp's worth a lot and it'd be a good idea to keep it.

I'd be willing to spend my birthday morning recording my crap amp for you guys
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
If you really want to get rid of it that bad, hell, I'll buy it for $700.

I'm a Marshall kind of guy, but even I would not turn down a twin at that price.
u know what im gunna buy a triple recto and trade it for that new line 6 bass amp series they just made
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by al112987
If you really want to get rid of it that bad, hell, I'll buy it for $700.

I'm a Marshall kind of guy, but even I would not turn down a twin at that price.

I'm not selling it. I'm keeping it.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!