Poll: How long have you been playing guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: How long have you been playing guitar?
Under 6 months
17 8%
Between 6 months and 1 year
26 12%
1 - 2 years
53 25%
2 - 3 years
48 23%
3 - 4 years
19 9%
4 - 5 years
18 9%
5 - 7 years
14 7%
7 - 10 years
4 2%
10 - 20 years
4 2%
20+ years
8 4%
Voters: 211.
Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone. I just want to see the demographics here. Just curious. You can pick the date when you got your first guitar or when you started taking guitar seriously; whatever you think is the closest representation of your "playing age" (for lack of better term.)
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I'm a ****ing infant...next March I might qualify for Toddler...

over 1.5 years...March will be 2...yay...I'm already better than I thought I'd be at 2 years...still suck tho...lol
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Since Sept. 06...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
4-5 years on and off, just got serious again in January
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
1-2 years for me.. I'm better than a lot of people who say they've been playing around the same time. But i still suck
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
2 years for me. Yep I've got a long way to go...
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
at least 15- 18 years off and on
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Almost 5 years. Probably more seriously for about 2 and a half.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
i find it interesting that most people are 1-2 years. thats what i fall into as well but a big chunk of people are 1-2 years, and i think it's because after people learn the ropes, they either A) quit, or B) don't bother wasting there time on these forums. lolz...
I got my first guitar for my 10th birthday, and I'm 30 now, so over 20 years. Haven't exactly spent hours every day playing though. Sometimes i just pick up one of my guitars and knock out a few chords or riffs. I have to pick one up every day, at least pluck a note or two.
Lets see....

I got my FIRST guitar when I was 7, (an old nylon string Yamaha, cost around $70), took jazz guitar lessons for a year and quit. Then started again when I was in middle school, got my first electric guitar (Squier Strat pack FTW!) at xmas time when I was in the 7th grade. So... lets see, I was 13 at that time. I will be 21 this November, so a few months shy of 8 years now. And in that time, I have owned four guitars, three amplifiers, and have lost more pedals than I currently own.

And after all this time, I still suck, LOL.
Just started in like the middle of july :P i have no idea about them but i can play some rock songs
the most accurate guess would be somewhere in the region of 7-10 years.. although i can't really remember when i started, i just know that i still like that old classical guitar i started on
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
2 years 7 months.

I'm only 11.

I'd consider myself decent.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
About 5 years...with a year and half hiatus...eh I'm okay now, definitely much better before I lost interest and took the break.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

A bit over 8 years
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
it has been 4 years since i bought my first acoustic guitar

however, i feel like i have only been seriously playing for 2 years.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by Necropeth91
9 years on and off. Seriously for about 2.

exactly the same here.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
So approximately 50% of the people on UG have played for 1-3 years. Interesting.
An actually interesting demographic poll? No WAI!!!

From the moment I got a guitar 5 years
Time playing maybe 3 ish

But about a year ago I really started play with a serious mindset, so I picked 1-2 years.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
about 3 years, but I am better than I thought I would ever get... I'm not saying I am great, but I really enjoy what I play and I think guitar is just fascinating.

boobs.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
I bought my acoustic in February, but didn't even really pick it up and start playing seriously til beginng of April. So almost 4 months at about 2-3 hours a day...

I have a long way to go.
Got my first acoustic about 4 years ago when I was in college but didn't take it seriously and oh man that instrument was a certified piece of junk haha. In the past year or so since I purchased worthy guitar is when I actually got more into playing. So 4 years if counting my first guitar, but really only 1 serious year of playing. And I'm happy with how far I've come just teaching myself.
I have been playing seriously since I've been here.

By seriously I mean I really wanted to learn chords, read Tab, understand how everything works, etc.

I googled Guitar Tabs and found this site. Lol. Now I'm addicted and can't let go. It's all good and I'm learning a lot.
A little over a year and I'm very happy with my abilites so far. Nothing incredable but I'm a lot better than I expected I'd be now.
Quote by the1
Nearly 5 years but I don't sit down and practise I just rock out lol

Haha, same here. I should probably start to some real practicing (like with a metronome and stuff.) But i just improvise and learn zeppelin and van halen songs.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Page 1 of 2