whats the easiest way to remember the note names on a guitar? i know the actual NAMES i just don't know what x fret on y string is without struggling. i'm trying to memorize most of them to recognize chord names yadda yadda yadda...

is it purely trial and error or is there some trick with the fret markers or something?
here's an easy way for part of the neck, 5th fret 6th string is A then 7th fret is B, next string 3rd fret is C, 5th fret is D, 7th is E and that pattern continues for a while, up till the second string
well, repetition is the foundation of retaining knowledge, so just constantly remind yourself of what notes you are playing. Every time you play something, say the note. The plus about this is that along with helping your playing mentally it also trains your ear. Hope I helped. Good Luck
There are a couple of ways you can learn the notes on the neck, it just depends which way works best for you. One way is to learn them chromatically up and down each string, one string at a time, another way is to learn the first five on each string, then the next five on each string. Another way which a lot of people I've spoken to seem to prefer is to start with A and then locate all the A's on the fretboard, then all the B's...then the C's, and then after you've done that move onto the sharps/flats, if you've genuinely retained the other notes' positions then doing that would be relatively easy.

I'm sure there are other methods as well, but they're just three I can think of.
Quote by foofighter4ever
well, repetition is the foundation of retaining knowledge, so just constantly remind yourself of what notes you are playing. Every time you play something, say the note. The plus about this is that along with helping your playing mentally it also trains your ear. Hope I helped. Good Luck

this works, at least it has for people i know, i did it for a while and it helped me, but then i got out of the habit, like with practicing, but im going to start doing this more often, itll be good for me
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Working with octaves (all As or Gs and so on) would be a good start. After that then find the 3rds and later the 5ths. There you'll have triads which are basic chords.

Another method I know of is to memorize the notes on the 5th and the 6th strings and then locate the octaves to them.