hey there, I am a proud owner of a Fender Roc Pro 700 Hybrid amp. Cleans SS but spectacular, Tube driven 12AX7, which also sounds wonderful. now it's a combo, and has one 12 inch speaker, kind of rattly.

I recently got an offer of a very old Faux Tweed 2X12 cab for 50 bucks. good deal? drop two new speakers in from like warehouseguitarspeakers or something, spray paint ugly covering or something, because i don't care much about looks, just black instead of TV yellow or something..

then wire the cab in parallel. put the combo amp on top, then wire it so that i have 3 12 inch speakers in parallel.

is this a good idea? I'm usually good with this stuff, but its 1 am, i've had a very long day and can't think corectly. remind me of why i shouldn't do this.

thank you!
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
bump after almost two days...?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Wiring speakers in sets of three can be a mess. What are the impedances of each speaker? If all three are the same, then I wouldn't advise it. You'd most likely get a total impedance that is too low for your amp if you wired them in parallel or too high if you wire them in series. I think you'd be better off with just the 2x12.
you're right, i forgot the whole 3's thing...i knew i was forgetting something. I'm looking to run a total of 8 ohm load coming from the amp.

I guess i should do a 2X12. Just leave an old speaker in the combo on top for show or something.

i know it probably won't make sound difference, maybe it'd be worse. because i think it's like 65 watts RMS. That'd be divided into two right, so like, only 30 some watts per speaker. But It'd eliminate rattle from the combo and all too..

or is my mind playing tricks on me here...something i'm forgetting..

EDIT: for bad grammar.
Quote by Invader Jim
Last edited by THE Saint Jimmy at Aug 3, 2008,
You won't know about the sound until you try it. You could leave the speaker in your combo in case you ever want to just take the combo somewhere and not take the cab. Or you could build a head enclosure for your amp and take it out of the combo.
hmm good thinking. I'd probably keep the combo working, and just add a 1/4" stereo jack with wires running to the PCB. Just disconnect the speaker wires normally. and if i wanted to use it as a combo, don't plug anything into that output, and connect speaker wires.

I'm just thinking, the RMS would be divided into the two speakers right...so like if it's 65 watts RMS, it'd be a load of 32.5 watts per speaker. And i need to find a way to wire two speakers to an 8 ohm load.

Thank Cedric!
Quote by Invader Jim
To achieve an 8-ohm load:
If your speakers are 16 ohms each, wire them in parallel.
If they are 4 ohms each, wire them in series.
If they are 8 ohms each, you are out of luck.

Glad I could help a little.