Page 1 of 2
Why do people get all pissy when a singer uses effects to enhance and or add cool effects to their voice yet it's perfectly okay for the guitarist to have a zillion different effects that makes their guitar sound like every species of animal on the western hemisphere?
This man has a point. It still stands that I hate the sounds of vocal effects though.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
I like it when Matt Bellamy adds distortion to his voice. It works out well generally.
Because vocals are meant to be organic, like an acoustic guitar, unlike electric guitars which have always been open to new sounds.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I can do a select number of eastern hemisphere animals too, I'd have you know.

Regardless, I generally hate most vocal effects.
What about a reverb, or a delay?
I hear that on a lot of vocals, and it sounds great.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
What about a reverb, or a delay?
I hear that on a lot of vocals, and it sounds great.

I think reverb is more of a subtle effect. Although some people even object to that.
I don't mind it. Matt Bellamy pulls it off pretty well.
45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
I have thought this very same thing, my friend, and I can't come up with a solid answer. Because I do usually think it sounds dumb when they use vocal effects, but I don't know why.
I don't particularly like effects on anything. A little flanger, phaser, or wah is okay on anything, but I dislike most other things.
I don't know if they do but Jane's Addiction sound like they use effects on their vocals and it sounds amazing and unique.
Quote by tona_107
you guys are evil. this will change your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRkNWYIEE3Q

to be honest i only listen to good music so i haven't heard vocal effects being abused.

Uh oh, pretentious alert.

Now I have to pretend like I hated that song, just to get back at you.
Quote by thsrayas
Because vocals are meant to be organic, like an acoustic guitar, unlike electric guitars which have always been open to new sounds.

Glad to see someone gets it. It is the same reason why acoustic instruments generally sound horrible when effects are added to them, they aren't meant for that.
Layne Staley ftw
Quote by RU Experienced?
I love ham, I'm gay!!!

Buy fresh sliced deli ham and stop being a bitch. Also, never microwave ham ever, it's in strict violation of ham law.
Quote by NathanWolff
I don't know if they do but Jane's Addiction sound like they use effects on their vocals and it sounds amazing and unique.

I think I remember hearing a while ago that Perry uses reverb on his vocals. I could be wrong though, I just vaguely remember hearing something like that.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by Fender_M1A
Glad to see someone gets it. It is the same reason why acoustic instruments generally sound horrible when effects are added to them, they aren't meant for that.

If instruments were still being used for what they were "meant" to do we'd have even more regression in the field of music.
Quote by Brain245
Uh oh, pretentious alert.

Now I have to pretend like I hated that song, just to get back at you.

the pit REALLY can't take a joke.
No one's mentioned Peter Frampton yet?
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
Quote by Munchlaxatives
No one's mentioned Peter Frampton yet?

That's a talkbox. Does that really count? It's really a guitar and vocal effect at once.
Quote by tona_107
the pit REALLY can't take a joke.

I think the fact that you can't DELIVER a joke correctly is the problem.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

Effects are awesome.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by bigwillie
I think the fact that you can't DELIVER a joke correctly is the problem.

ha HA.
i think that off hand remarks thickly coated in a layer of sarcasm and not meant to be LOL funny, are a little to complex for the likes of yourself.
Quote by solid_moose

Effects are awesome.

I agree. Fro's are indeed awesome.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
If it sounds good, there is no reason it shouldn't be implemented.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
I'd be shocked if almost every rock singer didn't use reverb in almost every song. Reverb and sometimes delay sound awesome.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by tona_107
ha HA.
i think that off hand remarks thickly coated in a layer of sarcasm and not meant to be LOL funny, are a little to complex for the likes of yourself.

Saying "I never listen to bad music" in a "sarcastic" manner is neither funny nor complex. It's, quite simply, pretty fucking stupid. You need humor and sarcasm lessons desperately.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

As long as it sounds good, go hog wild. What I love about music is that the boundaries of what is right/wrong are constantly broken. I would love to hear more vocal effects being used in a creative way.
For me, I like when the singer using the vocal effects can actually sing instead of using the effect to mask his/her inability to produce a good sounding note.
My Rig:
Ibanez RVX 220DX
Vox Valvetronix 30watt
I dont use effects period, I think they're just flat out useless.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

It's just the effects that are like "cheating".

Effects like delay, distortion, reverb etc are okay but those auto-tune effects are ****.
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
Quote by valennic
I dont use effects period, I think they're just flat out useless.

Still want that wah pedal?
Quote by guitarnoobie
Still want that wah pedal?

*shrugs*

I dont know yet, I'm getting her a gift, I decided she was more important to me than I was.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
*shrugs*

I dont know yet, I'm getting her a gift, I decided she was more important to me than I was.

Well the reason I asked was because you said you don't like using effects. Or maybe you were referring to vocal effects?
Page 1 of 2