Okay so here's the deal. Since today is my birthday, I will probably receive around 150$. I was thinking about getting something for my guitar, like a pedal.

Thing is I'm wondering which one I should get. The only one I can think of is a metal distortion pedal, but I don't know. I use a GAX70 and MG15. My gear is crap, so I don't know if getting a pedal is worth it.

Leave your opinions

Edit: Forgot to mention I play mostly metal.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

effects can help mask crappy gear (i use a metal master when i play with my marshall ms2 9v amp)

i don't like the metal master much personally, but some people love it. if you want a good distortion pedal i'd go with a boss ds-1 or similar. you want something fun to play with i'd go with a digitech rp series. in my opinion the best way to get a good metal distortion is using plain amp distortion, and if your amp isn't ballsy enough, add in an overdrive pedal on light gain. or you can build 15 badass custom pedals yourself for the price of anything you can buy
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Isn't that a bit cheap tho. I'll have around 150-175$ so I can afford something better.

I've checked delay pedals too and they seem interesting. Like the Boss DD-3.

Any other ideas on what I should get?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

You might be able to upgrade to a better amp at that price actually, especially if you look used.

I'm not familiar with the lower wattage metal amps though.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Well I'll be buying a costier amp in a few weeks so I should probably wait, rather then buying another cheap amp.

Looking into pedals, would the Boss MT-2 or DD-3 be a good idea? Which one is a better pick as first pedal of my kit?

There's also the DigiTech DeathMetal. Any of these would be a good pick?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Aug 1, 2008,
Save the money towards a better amp. The prospect of having new gear is exciting but a better amp will benefit you more in the long run.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by Leper_Messiah_
Save the money towards a better amp. The prospect of having new gear is exciting but a better amp will benefit you more in the long run.

I think I already mentionned that I'd be getting a good amp in a few weeks. Saving up isn't an alternative; it's my bday gift. 150$=about a week, so it's really not a problem.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6
I think I already mentionned that I'd be getting a good amp in a few weeks. Saving up isn't an alternative; it's my bday gift. 150$=about a week, so it's really not a problem.

ok, in that case what amp are you considering? it would be better to buy something to match the new amp than the old if possible.

The Metal Zone and Death Metal pedals are not highly regarded.

Alot of people on here recommend the EHX Metal Muff, but im not sure of its U.S price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339

$89 here for a metal muff
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by Leper_Messiah_
ok, in that case what amp are you considering? it would be better to buy something to match the new amp than the old if possible.

The Metal Zone and Death Metal pedals are not highly regarded.

Alot of people on here recommend the EHX Metal Muff, but im not sure of its U.S price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339

$89 here for a metal muff

Next amp will probably be a B-52 112, unsure yet tho.

As your pedals I just spent minutes reading through topics and I've seen quite a lot of flaming against the MT-2.

I've also seen the OS-2. Is it any useful for what I wanna play, and as a first pedal?

Also take in consideration it would be my first pedal, so obviously some choices are gonna be useless. What I play is mostly metal, and I want a Children of Bodom Lead sound. I know my current amp restricts me, but I'm still looking forward to start my pedal kit. And as much as it's my first pedal, I would like if it could follow me for a while, if you get what I mean. I don't wanna buy a pedal I'll get rid of in a few months.

I have to say; these are even more confusing then guitars and amps when you don't know anything about them. I need some help and I'm grateful for your time.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Aug 1, 2008,
I've got an MG15, and an mt2. I love my mt2, it's obv a hell of a lot better than the mg's distortion, and I can get a whole range of different tones from it.

If you're considering the m2t, just go and try it out, because obviously there's alot of people who dislike it, and then there's others like myself who love it. It's all down to personal preference.

EDIT: EHX Metal Muff would most likely be better than the mt2, due to it's high regard here and the fact it costs more. It's still in your price range though, I think. You should try them both out and see what you like better.

Hope any of that was helpful
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Last edited by CrazehSteve at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by CrazehSteve
I've got an MG15, and an mt2. I love my mt2, it's obv a hell of a lot better than the mg's distortion, and I can get a whole range of different tones from it.

If you're considering the m2t, just go and try it out, because obviously there's alot of people who dislike it, and then there's others like myself who love it. It's all down to personal preference.

EDIT: EHX Metal Muff would most likely be better than the mt2, due to it's high regard here and the fact it costs more. It's still in your price range though, I think. You should try them both out and see what you like better.

Hope any of that was helpful

metal muff is the same price as the mt-2 but awhole lot better!
Quote by mmjohn
metal muff is the same price as the mt-2 but awhole lot better!

Ah! I was too lazy to research it this morning

Well then it's purely up to the TS's preference, but I'd say both of those pedals would give you the kind of leads you're looking for
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Well if your getting a b52 your not gong to need any more gain really. A delay pedal could be a good idea, a touch of delay can really thicken out leads. Or perhaps something universally useful like an EQ pedal?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
^ Yeah, I wouldn't get a distortion or overdrive until trying out the one on the amp.

You never know, the amp might have all the distortion you want...or not. However I would try that in person before going for a pedal.

A delay would be pretty useful though, i'd go with that as well.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

The reason I wanted a MT-2; it seemed like the most logical choice... until I searched a bit on UG.

Between the MT-2 and metal muff, right onw I'd probably go with the metal muff, since it seems to be the best.

Nonethless, I AM planning to try them out before buying. I'm not the kind of person who will buy something just cause people say it's good or better. You know, if my fav is the MT-2, then that'll be my choice.

I thought delays would be a little useless at first, compared to a dist pedal. But after feedback, I think it's actually not that useless. I'll make sure to try out the DD-3.

As for EQ pedals, I'm still pretty clueless on what they are for. I do get the Equalizer thing, but since I haven't heard much about them, I dunno what's the sound possiblities of it. Perhaps someone could explain?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

An eq pedal will help you get a broader variety of tones out of your amplifier by boosting some frequencies and dampening other frequencies. They can also help dial out annoying hum from a high-gain amplifier. You could boost the mids for a lead sound, scoop them for a numetal sound, tighten the bass if it is flabby, etc.

I think eqs are awesome, but if you are just starting out, you might have more fun with a delay pedal until you come to appreciate what an eq pedal can do for your sound.

Another really fun pedal to play with is a wah pedal ...
I have a digitech RP250 multi-effects pedal and it turned my crappy $60 amp into pretty decent one. however if you're planning on getting a good amp then invest in several high-quality, individual effect pedals over time, rather than just getting one medium-quality multi-effects pedal.
my friend has the boss metalzone and he got what he was looking for, but yes, you should try them in the store first. and bring your guitar so you know what the pedal sounds like with YOUR guitar, and also make sure it sounds good on your specified type of amp.
Quote by alexanderm
I have a digitech RP250 multi-effects pedal and it turned my crappy $60 amp into pretty decent one. however if you're planning on getting a good amp then invest in several high-quality, individual effect pedals over time, rather than just getting one medium-quality multi-effects pedal.
my friend has the boss metalzone and he got what he was looking for, but yes, you should try them in the store first. and bring your guitar so you know what the pedal sounds like with YOUR guitar, and also make sure it sounds good on your specified type of amp.

That's one of the reason I'm looking for a pedal. As crappy as my amp is, a new pedal could get me a better sound, until I get my new amp. Don't get me wrong tho, I want a pedal that's gonna follow me with my new gear.

As for bringing my guitar, I will most likely do it, as there is another thing on my mind right now... I think the intonation is off and I'll get it checked. I'm actually not sure if it's the intonation, but there's definatly something wrong. Specially with my 3rd string. On that subject; how much does it cost to get a guitar adjusted(action or intonation, w/e)?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Jhachey22
i suggets getting a wah. they are fun and versatile.

I considered a wah, but for later. I wouldn't use it a lot right now.

Currently looking at gearwires on pedals, the DD-3 looks like a lot of fun. The EQ seem a bit useful, altho I'd probably just consider it when I have a better amp.

As for the MT-2, it looks pretty fun. Looks like the metal muff will be pretty nice
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

A regular setup shouldn't run you more than about 25 bucks....you could get it done for less, but I wouldn't spend more than 25 on it.
Quote by aberrant
A regular setup shouldn't run you more than about 25 bucks....you could get it done for less, but I wouldn't spend more than 25 on it.

Do you have to leave your guitar, or does the guy just do it in a few minutes in front of you and it's done?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

for $150 get a Krank distortus maximus
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
Quote by Spike6sic6
Do you have to leave your guitar, or does the guy just do it in a few minutes in front of you and it's done?

They did a free set up when I bought my Epi. Les Paul, it took maybe 10 or 15 minutes at most.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
They did a free set up when I bought my Epi. Les Paul, it took maybe 10 or 15 minutes at most.

Ok so you do come back with your guitar. Since I might buy a pedal, it would be boring to not have a guitar to play with.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.