Page 1 of 2
OK, I've been playing for 10 years and I've NEVER broken a string!

I was wondering why certain players go through so many strings?

Is it something to do with playing style? Changing tuning frequently? Not replacing strings often enough? Something else?
You've never broken a string in Ten Years?!?!?!?! You must have like... SUPER STRINGS. I'd broken my first strings in the first year.
having a locking trem system increases the risk if you pull the bar up too extremely. Break them while stretching them maybe, im not sure really I never break them either.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Thats impossible man, I break strings every month or two. You change them every week or what??
TEAR IT DOWN - new EP out now!
Czech death/deathcore/metalcore band
Visit our profile, listen to the new stuff and download for free, if you like it! - songs here!

Visit my youtube profile for some awesome solos - Kiwara's YT
Professionals often change strings every day, if not every couple days to ensure keeping a good sound.

Broken strings can be caused by tuning it too tight, that's for sure. I'm a bassist, and usually take it real easy on my strings so I can't offer much more than that. Sorry.
Well I have to admit I broke one on my acoustic, but that was only cos I hadn't replaced the strings in more than 2 years and it starting fraying at the tuners

I tend to replace my strings every 2-3 months now, but never used to change them more than once a year.
Quote by OrangePossum
Professionals often change strings every day, if not every couple days to ensure keeping a good sound.

No wander so many don't use locking trems....
From a lot of bending coupled with not changing strings often enough.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
No wander so many don't use locking trems....

Tons do! But you see, they don't change them; they get someother person to do that for them.

I always break them by bending to high, I mean, I can do that with brand new strings and everything...
Cam Sampbell's my hero
ive only broke 2 strings, but they were really old so it was to be expected, however i had a friend who liked to lift his Tele up by the thin e string, just to show that it was lighter than my les paul, it went wrong for him quite a few times
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by dan ramP
ive only broke 2 strings, but they were really old so it was to be expected, however i had a friend who liked to lift his Tele up by the thin e string, just to show that it was lighter than my les paul, it went wrong for him quite a few times

Jesus Christ! Now that's how to abuse your strings! I've lifted my squier by its tremolo bar before but I wouldn't dare do it be a string.

On topic, I've never broken a string, but I've only been playing since april-ish.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I've only broken strings by bending too much and tuning too high.Oh ya,and old strings too.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Ive been playing for about a year or so, and Ive yet to break a string. I change strings about once a month, always clean then after playing, and keep the nut lubed. I really dig into the strings as well.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
I used to break strings (fairly) regularly, maybe once or twice a month when I was gigging more.

I then went back to working on my technique and also changed the way I hold my pick, I've now not broken a string for about 9 or 10 months.
3 Words. Extreme Pull Ups.

Lol I've broken 5 strings in the past 3 months from being a dickhead on the whammy :P
GEAR:

Ibanez JEM 555 Steve Vai Signature x2 (Black + White)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom II
Ovation CP247

Vox VT120+
Boss GT-10
Digitech Distortion Factory
I've only ever broken 2 strings, it was always my high E, but I think that had something to do with me being a total noob at tuning in my first months of guitar.
Haven't broken one since
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

There is something eerily depressing about a guitar with only five strings

to be on topic, I break them (usually hgih e) when I bend too far
GEAR

VOX AC15 / AC4
Fender MIM Sunburst Strat
epiphone les paul custom in white
Yamaha FG730s
The Tweak-O fuzz pedal
strings sometimes just break. I don't know why, but I think it's metal fatigue.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Kiwara
Thats impossible man, I break strings every month or two. You change them every week or what??

You probably use a lighter gauge thats easier to break. I havent broken one since October.
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
You probably use a lighter gauge thats easier to break. I havent broken one since October.

Yeah, string gauge is matters a lot too. It's really hard to break a string from a set heavier than 0.010. All my broken strings were from 0.009 set, if I'm not mistaken.
I would break strings like crazy when I used to gig. I'd get too into it and pick really hard and use extreme pressure with my left hand on the fretboard. I even once cut the bottom of my hand with the high E string and bleed on stage, everyone was freaking out on me.

Also, I was always breaking the A strings on my guitars when I was using Elixar's, they felt nice and smooth but just couldn't take the abuse.
Quote by Martin Scott
I find throwing my guitar into an erupting volcano breaks the strings.

Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Hmm I think I've only broke 2 strings in my year playing once becaue it was old, and the next was a funny one, the string was about 2-3 months old and I did a really big o'le bend on the high e string and it snapped wraped around my wrist and then the broken end went thrugh my finger skin on my fretting hand, hand to have my dad pull it out with plyers, it got lodged pretty good it was deffinatly weird.

but since I changed to D'addios, and DR Dimebags(Regular DR's don't feel and slick) I haven't broken a string and they last a long time.
Quote by ShredGod George
yup, he does play an ibanez
a log with 6 pieces of yarn would be solid competition for it

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Kick it in the dick.

Snakes have dicks, right?
I've broken the high E a few times. Usually because of bending. I think I broke one by tuning it up too soon after restringing.
I havnt broken a string yet though I have only been playing for about 3 months and I try not to do anything im not ready for but my friend has good stories and even a few scars from broken strings.
I've only broken probably 3 strings back when I was starting.
Quote by UNIe
Yeah, string gauge is matters a lot too. It's really hard to break a string from a set heavier than 0.010. All my broken strings were from 0.009 set, if I'm not mistaken.

0.009? Isn't that like hair thickness?
Last edited by Horlicks at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by OrangePossum

Broken strings can be caused by tuning it too tight, that's for sure. I'm a bassist, and usually take it real easy on my strings so I can't offer much more than that. Sorry.

you are seriously wooried about breaking strings as a bassist?
im sure its POSSIBLE
but ive never seen a bassist break a string, youd have to like stand on the bass and do squats with a string id think, that or leave string on for years in a well filled with dirt and sh*t<- literal
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by mju4t
There is something eerily depressing about a guitar with only five strings

to be on topic, I break them (usually hgih e) when I bend too far

i love when strings break, its like it makes it a whole new instrument, new chord possibilities, new tunins enhance this even more, its fun!!!!!!
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by electricdeath
Hmm I think I've only broke 2 strings in my year playing once becaue it was old, and the next was a funny one, the string was about 2-3 months old and I did a really big o'le bend on the high e string and it snapped wraped around my wrist and then the broken end went thrugh my finger skin on my fretting hand, hand to have my dad pull it out with plyers, it got lodged pretty good it was deffinatly weird

this has happened to me too, but it went through my fingernail, and was sticking out the side of my finger, id been up for three days and it scared the hell out of me
at first i felt it hit me, i was like "ow...", then i tried to move my hand and it got caught, and i was like "oh, its wrapped around my finger", then i looked closer, and was like, "oh its in my finger"
"sh*t."
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by highlordmugfug
im sure its POSSIBLE
but ive never seen a bassist break a string, youd have to like stand on the bass and do squats with a string id think, that or leave string on for years in a well filled with dirt and sh*t<- literal

Ive done it many times. I did it through tuning mistakes, and once I even got a faulty string, one of the strands of the string was already broken, so when I tried to tune it it just wouldn't tune. When a bass string breaks, its nothing extreme, it just flops around.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by highlordmugfug
im sure its POSSIBLE

This time I saw gig during which the bass player managed to break the E string. He wasn't even being brutal on it, it just flat out broke.
Quote by highlordmugfug
this has happened to me too, but it went through my fingernail, and was sticking out the side of my finger, id been up for three days and it scared the hell out of me
at first i felt it hit me, i was like "ow...", then i tried to move my hand and it got caught, and i was like "oh, its wrapped around my finger", then i looked closer, and was like, "oh its in my finger"
"sh*t."

*looks at guitar with suspicious look*

mine likes me, so I'm not worried

the worst I've had was I broke the B and High E string at the same time, made an awesome sound.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
well lets say with normal tunings and strings that dont suck
how often would it happen then?
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
there was a time period where i broke 3 g-strings within a month. as you can imagine, i was pretty frustrated, not by the fact that i had to replace them, but that i had 3 packs of strings without the g-string. haha, doh!
Page 1 of 2