That'll be me then, hold on!

Edit - I think it looks like a fantastic idea! Only thing is, alot of people play things differently so expect a new level of arguing in tab threads about the "correct" way to do it.
I think it is a great idea but like Jackolas said everyone plays stuff differently like I play an A chord using my index finger only as my fingers are too big to cram 3 of them into the space of one fret.

I like the idea of it for solos though as I have never gotten the hang of using my pinky (coz im too lazy to bother) so it would be good to see when to use it. Only thing is it would take 3 times longer to write out a TAB but still a great new idea!!
Quote by kingkill_33
I think it is a great idea but like Jackolas said everyone plays stuff differently like I play an A chord using my index finger only as my fingers are too big to cram 3 of them into the space of one fret.

I thought I was the only one

It's a grand idea, mate, really. Even if some people will argue, it will help the more unexperienced people, and if they aren't comfortable with the finger positions you've put down, they learn to use other positions, so you're helping them learn either way!
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by kingkill_33

I like the idea of it for solos though as I have never gotten the hang of using my pinky (coz im too lazy to bother) so it would be good to see when to use it. Only thing is it would take 3 times longer to write out a TAB but still a great new idea!!

Yeah it is a pretty good idea, but as said in this post, people do play things differently.

I play the A chord using my middle, ring, and pinky finger to make sure I don't mute the A or e. But as far as I'm aware, most people use their index, middle and ring fingers, which I find very hard. Doing it the way I do also makes it easier to go to a bar chord, so I like it.
Quote by sonicmelon
Hi,

This is my first post!

I was wondering if I could get everyone's input on my article about something I call Prismtabbing. Check it out at:

http://www.sonicmelonproductions.com/SMP/Melon-Tech/562BF320-FD48-4EAC-BC2F-3C8DD4A9CD33.html

I would definitely like to hear everyone's opinions and ideas. Especially great guitarists!

Thanks,

Tom

Dude... awesome.

+15

You also get a cookie.

Put this in your sig NAOW!
UG Republican

Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.

Quote by xyz66
YES!!!

And I enjoy Katy Perry's music.

I swear to god nobody better sig this or else imma kill them
Not a bad idea, however there's already a system for doing just that, just put the numbers 1234 above the tab.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
*moved*
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Nice...thanks everyone for their opinions. A concern was brought up about a color for the thumb since it's used occasionally. I think of it as a 5th finger in guitar since it'll be the least used of all of the fingers. SO to keep things in ABC order "technically" I looked up colors that begin with Z. There's only one. It's call Zinnwaldite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinnwaldite_%28color%29

It's in the brown family, but looks like a flesh tone. I like the bit about AT&T and telephones. What do ya'll think? It's unrelated to any of the others and sits well on a white or black background. The other way to go would be to find a color that contrasts with the others that comes before blue alphabetically. Keep 'em comin.
I think an idea would be to give tabs that use Primstab a black background as it's much clearer to see the bright colors popping out of the black as opposed to the white. Also I believe it is easier to see blue on a black background than yellow on a white one. Same goes for Zinnwaldite.

Also look at this test I made (or the part where you describe which finger=which color):

Look at the sharp contrast blue on black compared to yellow on white.

A problem with this solution would be that there would have to be a way to color the background of a certain text black (easily possible with HTML), but this option (and HTML in general) is (probably) not available on most tab sites.

I believe a problem with Zinnwaldite would be that it (obviously) isn't commonly used much, if at all. I do support the ABC ranking though. Solutions to this problem: None so far, other possibilities coming after "yellow" would be "yellow (RYB)" (just a yellow based on a certain color-display model, and looks like a gold, thus being called "gold" - in other words it still doesn't "come after" yellow), or yellow-green (easily confused with green, of course).
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Last edited by asfastasdark at Aug 4, 2008,
Thanks for your input. I totally agree with what you have to say. If you checked out part 3 of the article I decided on going to the black background. So we're definitely on the same page. If you have anymore ideas than please let me know. Your opinion is valued highly.

Thanks!

Tom