I want to learn blues fingerstyle, I would say im an intermediate finger picking player, but I want to start blues from scratch.

Can anyone reccomend any books they have used to learn from?
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosphy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven
Bump!
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosphy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven
Two VERY good ones I bought about 25yrs ago for starting off from scratch to pro. standard are 'Masters of Instrumental blues guitar' by Donald Garwood by OAK publication [TAB and notes plus sight reading] and the 'Blues Bag' [ TAB and notes plus sight reading] by Happy Traum by Consolidated music Publishers. Still available [google it]? I don't know but I will sell both for $20 US each plus $10 postage [ from Australia]. I have learned all the stuff in them and don't need them anymore. Fantastic blues foundation. Learn these and your seriously on your way. The noted advice is great!

Great books that are probably out of print but they won't be cheap if they are still in print, that's for sure.

Mississippi John Hurt [double thumbing ...oh my god], Mance Liscomb, Frank Stokes, Leadbelly etc, etc. Really fantastic stuff that will make a good blues player out of anybody [if you have feel for blues of course, as your buggered otherwise]. Blues is pain. If you have no pain you have nothing to say in blues. I've had 3 marriages and a few junkie siblings, so I can really sing the blues nowadays, just like the old boys did for different reasons I suppose in their day. I used to sing a lot of country and western and bluegrass ...now I mostly sing the blues I guess. I'm 57yrs old now and see nothing but blues ahead of me and that's what I mostly play. I wish I was !8yrs. old again. I'd be playing something completely different.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 4, 2008,