It seems every single amp review I find anyware for something $1000 au or less has a huge issue. Valveking is poorly made, DSL no too loud with not enough something or nother. Laney VC30 has no gain!

Is there any amp that in that kind of price range with no real flaws i should be worried about?
Classic rock with a tube crunch, to metal, If I ever need over the top OD I have the GT-8 and I know introducting the SS pedal into the Tubes will not produce the worlds best results but I don't think I will be recording any groundbreaking material (yet )

I what to have at least 25-30 watts and used isnt a prob
Quote by lefthandman9876
vc 30 and a dist pedal

On the clean channel.
OD on clean with the VC series = good enough for me.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I want an amp that I can get the tones I need without diminishing the tone with effects. ALot to ask but im sure there out there.
i have the dsl 50, and it's plenty loud with a 2x12 1936 cab, i use a solid metal distortion pedal, but if you want so sound clips of the on board channels, plus a version with a pedal in front just p.m me, i'll do them tomorrow (Brisbane time) and send them to you.
Thanks but im ok, ive heard clips before. Looks good but out of my price range and never up for sale.
What produces the best overall clean and distorted tone, an LC30 or a VC30? On Paul Gilbert's "Get Out of My Yard" instructional DVD, what amp is his using when he plays "The Curse of Castle Dragon" and "Radiator" cause that tone is pretty sweet.

Oh and on the gain level of these amps, could they handle John Petrucci like gain? But regardless of gain level, they wouldn't sound like a Mesa cause they are British voiced of course. But could switching tubes make them amp sound more American like?
Quote by Lrn2shrd69
What produces the best overall clean and distorted tone, an LC30 or a VC30? On Paul Gilbert's "Get Out of My Yard" instructional DVD, what amp is his using when he plays "The Curse of Castle Dragon" and "Radiator" cause that tone is pretty sweet.

Oh and on the gain level of these amps, could they handle John Petrucci like gain? But regardless of gain level, they wouldn't sound like a Mesa cause they are British voiced of course. But could switching tubes make them amp sound more American like?

They use el84. You can't really swap them tubes to get an "American" voicing.
And an el84 is used in some Mesas, so it's the amps that gets the tone in this case - and the LC series is more "American", and the VC is more "British".

EDIT: VC has best cleans.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Aug 1, 2008,
the VC is generally considered better than the LC

the cleans and light/medium OD smoke anything the LC has to offer tbh

that said it still wont do metal 100% convincingly. it can do anything upto hard rock, sounds similar to a JCM800 when cranked . and if you want the odd little bit of old metallica onn the side it'll be fine, but its not a metal amp

oh, TS: please tell me youre not playing a 61 reissue through an MG10
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Different styles of music have different needs from an amp. Some types of music need lots of low end which is where blackface fender amps and solid state amps are handy. Some types of music need lots of high end which is where the plexi comes in handy. If you use lots of distortion then you need and amp with good midrange control and you need something the is going to filter out the highest frequecies and the lowest frequecies so that your tone can keep it's focuse.

So to have an amp that does everything it has to have a lot of treble, midrange, and bass, witout having a lot of treble midrange or bass.

Can you see the problem? So if you want an amp that does everything that mean you have to comprimise on everything. Comprimising everything means it won't do anything well. This is why modeling amps get such a bad rap. They do everything and they do it well enough for a beginner but the tone quality isn't something that will excite experianced players. For the best tone you have to get perpose built amps and if you want to play all styles of music then you will need more than 1 amp.
Not taking any online orders.
Im am, with a little old bass amp as well. It is a tradgedy. And I am near the 1k mark at the moment and looking forward to puting it thorugh something a little more "real" I suppose.

If I get a 100w tube head and cab will I be able to play it quite enough to play

A.) in my house
B.) With my band in a small room or small venue?

or will it only work in a studium?
Quote by dan_g_
Im am, with a little old bass amp as well. It is a tradgedy. And I am near the 1k mark at the moment and looking forward to puting it thorugh something a little more "real" I suppose.

If I get a 100w tube head and cab will I be able to play it quite enough to play

A.) in my house
B.) With my band in a small room or small venue?

or will it only work in a studium?

Get a tube combo!
Seriously - you don't that many speakers or headroom for your current usage.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
i cant get decent tone out of my 15 watt tbe amp unless i crank it to too loud volumes
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
traynor ycs50 has no major flaws at all
fenderish cleans
marshallesque distortion
the only prob i have is reverb doesnt sound like its working until about halfway...
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by weetadsftw
traynor ycs50 has no major flaws at all
fenderish cleans
marshallesque distortion
the only prob i have is reverb doesnt sound like its working until about halfway...

I have the YCS50 too. I like that fact about the reverb.... sometimes you only want a little bit of reverb and this way you don't have to adjust it by microscopic amounts to get it where you want.
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
I have the YCS50 too. I like that fact about the reverb.... sometimes you only want a little bit of reverb and this way you don't have to adjust it by microscopic amounts to get it where you want.

so then it has no problems! i only wish it had a bit more gain.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff