Page 1 of 2
well i have an ibanez rg350dx which has packed in so i need a new guitar.

i would like something similar that is RELIABLE. its the second ibanez that has let me down. last was 170dx (no wonder)

most of the issues that have contributed to my guitar being unplayable are because of the edgeIII tremolo so an important question is: get better trem or no trem at all?

i play many hours a day and would like to use this as my main guitar for at least a decade so it has to be super reliable. my experience of ibanez' has been terrible. i love their sound/feel but they wont stop damn breaking. will a prestige fix this or should i look into another brand?

also, i would like something with a midrangy sound. any wood is fine. i play shred type stuff and a sound similar to gilbert or satch would be great.

im not entirely sure about budget but probably something like 1500 max.

guitars i am looking at atm are pgm301, various rg prestige, s5470, js1200. doesnt have to be ibanez but i dont have experience with many other similar guitars that i prefer. i havent been a fan of the esp guitars ive tried. never tried jackson though. oo and lag guitars look niiiice. not a fan of emgs though.
ive never tried a Jackson, although i'd recommened them, Jackson have been one of my favourite companies for a couple years, the main thing i dont like about them is most their guitars are bolt-on necks
but i'd say get a Jackson with Seymour Duncans or something
dude, youve had 2 ibbiz that let you down. I think its time for you to explore other brands.
With 1500, id be shopping second hand and looking for a Music Man or Jackson USA. Not ibanez.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
dude, youve had 2 ibbiz that let you down. I think its time for you to explore other brands.
With 1500, id be shopping second hand and looking for a Music Man or Jackson USA. Not ibanez.

+1 Not Jackson, try out some Musicman's though. Try the musicman John Petrucci Signature, Now theres a guitar that can do it all.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Maybe Schecter would (will) be good Personally, I dislike Ibanez.
Fender Stan. Stratocaster HSS 60th Anniversary
Squier Deluxe V-String Jazz Bass (active p-ups)
Peavey Valveking 112
Zoom G2.1u
...and my fingers

.: Music Heals :.
Quote by _-Joey-_
ive never tried a Jackson, although i'd recommened them, Jackson have been one of my favourite companies for a couple years, the main thing i dont like about them is most their guitars are bolt-on necks
but i'd say get a Jackson with Seymour Duncans or something

How can it be your favorite company if you've never played one?

I would recomend a Jackson Soloist:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Jackson+SOloist&category0=

They're pretty much the king of shredder guitars, and very high quality.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178

lol i remembered half way through writing it that ive played my mates Jackson Dinky & i just couldnt be arsed changing it
& i love the Rhoads shape
it makes me sad cause i loved that guitar. i liked the look, the feel, the sound. it was not perfect in any regard but it was good.

i might go try a jackson tomoz. i dont want something with a metal sound though. just a metal feel.

i would really dig the js if it had a wizard neck. it has the perfect pickup combination for me. medium output and reasonably neutral with boosted mids. coil split as well.

also how is the edge zero? is it more reliable? what is the best trem?

also if you dont think any trem can last a decade please say because then it has to be fixed bridge.
if the trem is the only problem with your ibby block it get a tremolno or buy a fixed bridge ibanez
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by Dan shreds
if the trem is the only problem with your ibby block it get a tremolno or buy a fixed bridge ibanez

not only problem but main problem. and blocking it wont help plus i would want to use a trem if at all possible.
What is the problem with your trem? is it broken or does the whole bridge lean in one direction? because if you have changed the strings recently make sure you always use the same brand because I changed My Ibanez's strings which had an adge tremolo but i changed string brand and the whole bridge was leaning in one direction. I fixed it by changing the new strings to the same brand as the one I had before.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
the three problems wither the trem are:

1 it breaks strings practically every time i pick it up.

2 the whammy bar hole has worn so that the bar falls out whever i bend over.

3 it is impossible to tune the 1st string.

and yes i know how to set it up properly.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Aug 1, 2008,
So the guitar hasn't packed in, the crappy bridge has, but you liked everything else about the guitar?

Solution - buy a better version of the same guitar, namely the aformentioned Prestige RG's. An RG1570 and a set of Dimarzios would do you right, it's not something I tend to recommend but I've a feeling you might like the Tone Zone in the bridge, match it with a Paf Pro or Breed in the neck and a Blue Velvet in the middle.Or try the RG2550 which already has the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups in it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by no_thing101
the two problems wither the trem are:

1 it breaks strings practically every time i pick it up.

2 the whammy bar hole has worn so that the bar falls out whever i bend over.

3 it is impossible to tune the 1st string.

and yes i know how to set it up properly.

Ok cool just checking lol, you won't believe some of the people that know nothing about setting up a tremolo.
Quote by thegreensquall
Quote by steven seagull
So the guitar hasn't packed in, the crappy bridge has, but you liked everything else about the guitar?

Solution - buy a better version of the same guitar, namely the aformentioned Prestige RG's. An RG1570 and a set of Dimarzios would do you right, it's not something I tend to recommend but I've a feeling you might like the Tone Zone in the bridge, match it with a Paf Pro or Breed in the neck and a Blue Velvet in the middle.Or try the RG2550 which already has the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups in it.

well the other problem is the other end of the double locking tremolo is flawed somewhere and gives me buzz. but clearly the main problem is the trem.

i prefer the look of the feel of the s5470 to the rg prestige but im not sure about the pickups and im not a huge fan of the finishes. the bw finish is orgasmic though.
Quote by hamish5178

I would recomend a Jackson Soloist:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Jackson+SOloist&category0=

They're pretty much the king of shredder guitars, and very high quality.

Agreed. A Jackson SL2 would do you fine. They also have a dual humbucker option as well, both using Seymour Duncans. Also, an Original Floyd Rose (Which is equipped on the SL2) will last you about 15+ years because it's made from hardened steel. Hell, the Schaller (made from cast iron which isn't as high quality as steel) on my Rhoads lasted 10+ before I had to switch it out. Even then, the only reason I had to switch it out was because one of the intonation holes was stripped.
Quote by Yoorai
Maybe Schecter would (will) be good Personally, I dislike Ibanez.

I second that whole statement
Quote by no_thing101
most of the issues that have contributed to my guitar being unplayable are because of the edgeIII tremolo so an important question is: get better trem or no trem at all?

It's always been my opinion that, unless you're paying mega-bucks for absolute premium stuff, Floyd Rose tremolos are not worth it. My answer would also depend on your tremolo usage. If you use the trem a lot, then you're going to want one. If you don't really use it that much, you could do without one, and all the benefits that come from just having a hardtail. I think you're on the money with the PGM. However, that's big-bucks. If you're not getting a trem, you don't have to spend so much. Ibanez do standard RG models with hardtails. Look into them.

As for other brands.. well just look around. Tokai, Yamaha, etc.
Quote by Martin Scott
It's always been my opinion that, unless you're paying mega-bucks for absolute premium stuff, Floyd Rose tremolos are not worth it. My answer would also depend on your tremolo usage. If you use the trem a lot, then you're going to want one. If you don't really use it that much, you could do without one, and all the benefits that come from just having a hardtail. I think you're on the money with the PGM. However, that's big-bucks. If you're not getting a trem, you don't have to spend so much. Ibanez do standard RG models with hardtails. Look into them.

As for other brands.. well just look around. Tokai, Yamaha, etc.

well i want to be able to use the instrument as my main/only guitar for years so im willing to pay what it takes to get good one. and yes i use the trem a lot. fixed bridge is only last resort.

what about the s5470? its got the edge zero trem rather than edge pro. when i tried it a while ago i preferred the feel to the rg prestiges i played.
Right, well then you're going to want a trem. The Floyd Rose is, by design, high-maintenance, unfortunately. Also, as for Ibanez' derivatives, they never bettered their 'Edge' from 1986. Look at this page (CLICK) for an overview of all of Ibanez' trems. The ZR Trem is the best current Ibanez tremolo. The question is, then- do you need a Floyd Rose? Look into makes like Ernie Ball, and high-end Yamaha Pacificas. They have double-locking trems by having a locking bridge, and locking tuners rather than a locking nut.

These tremolos are based more on the vintage Strat trem design. They offer the simplicity and reliability of a Strat tremolo, with the tuning stability of a Floyd Rose. John Petrucci has such a trem system on his signature:

My old guitar teacher had one, and I speak from first-hand experience when I say that you can really abuse the trem, and it stays in tune just as well as a Floyd. Malmsteen uses his non-locking trem on his old Strat a fair bit, and it never goes out of tune. So it's worth realizing that while you need a trem, you probably don't need a Floyd Rose as much as you might think.
this is why i dont mess with trems, lol.

i agree with whoever said a higher end RG. better trems, same feel.
Quote by Martin Scott
Right, well then you're going to want a trem. The Floyd Rose is, by design, high-maintenance, unfortunately. Also, as for Ibanez' derivatives, they never bettered their 'Edge' from 1986. Look at this page (CLICK) for an overview of all of Ibanez' trems. The ZR Trem is the best current Ibanez tremolo.

well i think that means the prestige guitar trems will last. So its not just me, my trem is a piece of sh*t.

what you said about the music man seems interesting. i like john petrucci but i think that guitar is a bit ugly...
Quote by no_thing101
well i think that means the prestige guitar trems will last. So its not just me, my trem is a piece of sh*t.

what you said about the music man seems interesting. i like john petrucci but i think that guitar is a bit ugly...

theres a different option with a buttload of colors.

http://www.music-man.com/instruments/silhouette.php
Yeah it's not the best looking, lol. I mainly used it as an example of alternative tremolos. The ZR Trem, like all Floyd Rose designs, is high-maintenance. The ZR lacks a knife-edge, but has exposed ball-bearings which want cleaning fairly often. Seriously look into non-Floyd Rose trems. They're a lot less faffing about, and some designs offer just as good tuning stability. What I'm saying is, your trems might not have died *just* because they were crap, it might have been that you didn't give them the high-maintenance they require, or a mixture of both. If you don't "have" to have a Floyd- don't get one. John Petrucci changed from Prestige Ibanez. It's fair to assume that at least part of the reason is because he couldn't be bothered to arse about with Floyd Roses anymore.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Aug 1, 2008,
the maintenance isnt really the problem. i know how to tune it and am not bothered much by setting it up every now and then. the problem is that when you break a string twice a week (now it more) your guitar is never in tune. It sometimes takes about an hour to restring, balance and tune the guitar. so when a string snaps an hour or so after all that, it gets quite frustrating.
Quote by Martin Scott
Well, you have all the information I can give you. It's up to you what to do with it.

yep and thanks for that. i am going to go out an try some esps and jacksons tomorrow as well as bitch to the people at the shop i bought my guitar at to hopefully get something back from warranty.
Just swap out the tremelo, will save you several hundred and you get to stay with the guitar you love.
^^^^^

I'm pretty sure John Petrucci has a guitar tech to do all the arsing about for him so I doubt that had anything to do with him changing. Come to think of it, he probably has a whole army of guitar techs. Demon guitar techs. Robotic, demon guitar techs. With laser beams for eyes.

Martin...I can see that you don't personally like Floyds, but the TS obviously likes the way they feel and play so I don't see the point in offering an alternative. His problem is he had a cruddy cheap one made of sub-par materials. Any of the top of the range Ibanez Floyd derivatives are good trems, from the original Edge through to the Edge Pro.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well, he was actually asking for suggestions, in addition to saying his trem was crap:

Quote by no_thing101

So why don't you get off my case?
Quote by Martin Scott
Well, he was actually asking for suggestions, in addition to saying his trem was crap:

So why don't you get off my case?

I'm not on your case, you just seemed more concerned with how much you yourself dislike floyds as opposed to what might be best for the threadstarter....and the bit about why Petrucci changed endorsements was just contrived bollocks frankly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
....and the bit about why Petrucci changed endorsements was just contrived bollocks frankly.
Agreed.

Also agreed that judging by the original post, the TS really wants an RG Prestige, and an RG Prestige will deliver the goods in full.

Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
well i tried heaps of guitars today.

i tried a similar esp to my rg. it was good but i was not a huge fan of the neck. it didnt have a floyd either which was worrying.

i tried a dean flying v which felt pretty reasonable to me. pity i dont like the look. it had a fixed bridge also.

i tried a bc rich similar to the esp. it looked nice but it sounded kinda veiled.

i tried a fender strat and it was not too different to the esp imo.

the jacksons were low end so didnt even bother picking them up. they looked like starter guitars and maybe some slightly better.

i prefer the feel of my rg to all of those guitars. ibanez it is... i think....
Well too name a couple under your price range...
Soloist
RR1
Render Strat American Standard
Telecaster, american standard
Gibson Les Paul
Schecter c-1 hellraiser FR
used JEM7 JEM77 or JEM777
Epiphone Elitist
Gibson Flying V
Jackson King V
Dean Razorback (if it feels comfortable and you like that style of look&music)
LTD EC-1000
Any kind of ESP
even though you dont like ibanez' heres some to give a shot
Any RG Prestige
and Any S series Prestige

Jackson DKMG/ DK2M
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Sig
BC Rich Mockingbird (DO NOT get any BC Rich for under 800$, low quality, low everything, except action)
Gibson Explorer

I could go on forever!
just try out some guitars, see what style suits you, and go with what you like! not with what some internet chat board likes.
(unless your shopping for amps. do not get a line 6 spider or marshall mg. =] )
Quote by metulkult
Well too name a couple under your price range...
Soloist
RR1
Render Strat American Standard
Telecaster, american standard
Gibson Les Paul
Schecter c-1 hellraiser FR
used JEM7 JEM77 or JEM777
Epiphone Elitist
Gibson Flying V
Jackson King V
Dean Razorback (if it feels comfortable and you like that style of look&music)
LTD EC-1000
Any kind of ESP
even though you dont like ibanez' heres some to give a shot
Any RG Prestige
and Any S series Prestige

Jackson DKMG/ DK2M
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Sig
BC Rich Mockingbird (DO NOT get any BC Rich for under 800$, low quality, low everything, except action)
Gibson Explorer

I could go on forever!
just try out some guitars, see what style suits you, and go with what you like! not with what some internet chat board likes.
(unless your shopping for amps. do not get a line 6 spider or marshall mg. =] )

did you read my last post? i DID try some guitars and i DO like ibanez.
Quote by no_thing101
did you read my last post? i DID try some guitars and i DO like ibanez.

well im sorry i didnt see your last post, dont get so bitchy!
Well then if you like ibanez try out an RG Prestige or S Series Prestige,
personally i like the S series better than RG, its just alot lighter and more comfortable, and i can live without 24 frets too.
even a Xiphos is a really good guitar, just make sure to swap out the trem!
In the Xiphos, they have some really nice pups, a dimarzio super distortion, and another dimarzio, the name escapes me right now.
but really all you need to know is, through a good amp, and with that guitar and pups, it will be an orgasm to your ears.
You bought the edge 3 twice? Well there's your problem.

Either go for an RG hardtail or an RG prestige. Or don't go RG at all.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Page 1 of 2