Page 1 of 3
Wasn't sure if this is where I should have put this, but if its not, would a moderator please move it to the correct forum please?

Okay, So I've decided to do this. I've read places that a good thing to do is practice the same thing at a constant tempo every day, for at least One hour, for 21 days. Supposedly it's supposed to improve performance and break the nasty habit of improper practice. This includes using a metronome, at a fixed tempo.

Also, Steve Vai's 10 Hour workout. Practicing Techniques such as Alternate Picking, Legato, Sweep Picking, Tapping, Scales, Modes, Chord Theory, all in one big lesson.

I also read somewhere that Chris Broderick used to practice 14 Hours daily during his summer months, between school years.

What I've decided to do, out of sheer desire to become better, is to form a 21 day, 12 hour daily practice routine, that I started today. I'm on one of my short breaks at the moment, to give my hands and mind a rest. The schedule is as followed.

Hour 1: Warm ups, Technical Excercises, and Stretches.
Hour 2: Scales and Modes.
Hour 3: Chord Study.
Hour 4: Stretches, Technical Excercises.
Hour 5: Alternate Picking, Odd Timings.
Hour 6: Sweep Picking, Chord Study Combined.
Hour 7: Technical Excercises, Stretches.
Hour 8: Music Theory Study (No Guitar needed)
Hour 9: Warm Ups, Stretches, Technical Excercises.
Hour 10: Scales and Modes.
Hour 11-12: Freeform Jam.

The reason for the constant stretching and technical excercises is to make sure that your arms are constantly relaxed, and to avoid any problems, such as Tendonitis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, or RSI. The hours actually add up to be 55 minutes, allowing a 5 minute break in between each hour, again, to allow for rest of the mind and hands, so you can do it.

I'm currently on my 4th Hour of the First day of this. 21 Days to go... Anyone else up for it?

To answer incoming questions, Yes I do have a job, and Yes I do have a girlfriend and a life. I'm 19 years of age, and I'm sacrificing spending time with family/friends/loved ones, and using every waking hour not working playing guitar for 3 straight weeks.

Just thought I'd share

~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya
Gees man, I would be broken. Do you enjoy your suicide? I mean the schedule is not a good thing. Sometimes your mind wants to play or practice something different than schedule things.. wasting of a time.
Fender Stan. Stratocaster HSS 60th Anniversary
Squier Deluxe V-String Jazz Bass (active p-ups)
Peavey Valveking 112
Zoom G2.1u
...and my fingers

.: Music Heals :.
Last edited by Yoorai at Aug 1, 2008,
sounds challenging
but good luck itll be hard to keep it up for that long i couldnt
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
sounds hard, good luck

if i did it i would have to do it in half hours instead of whole hours-12 hours is a lot, and 6 is still a lot. there isnt time for 12 hours...
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
Pshaw, I don't view it as a waste of time... That's just me though. Theres no time wasted spent playing guitar. That's what I beleive.

Oh and there is time, at least for my job... Delivery driver haha, 4 hour days, make 2000 a month... not bad at all for a 19 year old... yep...

But thanks to those who wished me luck

And yeah, a schedule is hard but I personally feel that it helps your mind learn how to practice properly... as opposed to just messing around. Messing around helps you improvise better, and put more feeling into your music. Though some of us (Me Included) hear the music in our heads, and its alot faster than our hands can keep up with, so we HAVE to practice a ton to be able to let it out.
~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya
Quote by fixationdarknes
Don't forget to have fun

Oh, I am Just finished the 5th hour... Not bored at all yet haha... My fingers are starting to get a bit tired though, Watching to make sure pain doesn't occur, etc etc.

I've got a lot of different things to play so it's varied, to keep it fun and interesting. Also I'll randomly just come up with some new pattern or whatever and practice that, making it as difficult as possible, such as 7/8th's time with string skipping, and alternate picking starting with an upstroke, so I have to change direction every time I skip a string... things like that..
Letters to Zaya
Quote by /-\liceNChains
I have a job and a girlfriend and a dog and friends.... sorry cant join you.

So do I, didn't you read the end of my first post? I have a girlfriend, a job, friends, a dog, a cat, a family. I'm just sacrificing it all for 3 weeks to better myself as a musician, and they all understand, because they all know how I feel about music.
Letters to Zaya
If you can pull it off, good for you.
I acquired myself a copy of Vai's 30-hour workout a few weeks ago and have been ploughing through the hours with that.

I'd check out the lessons in the Guitar Pro Exercises thread.
quantity=\=quality
it's better to practice well for 1 hour then just alot for like3 hours.
and personally when my friends are over im noy showing them my technique practices, im showing them a song involving it.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Yes, quality IS better than quantity, I have a reason for doing what I'm doing. I'm doing quality practice for a long period of time. What's better, perfect practice for one hour, or twelve? And yeah, I'm sure I'll decline in quality over 21 days, but not so much as to hinder the improvement. I'm not just sitting here playing things at 180bpm, trying to go as fast as I can. I'm going at MOST, 120 bpm 8th triplets, making sure every little nuance is as perfect as I can get it.

And I do the same, I don't just show people what I can do, I generally either play a song I've learned or I've written. I don't just go "Look what I can do! *plays 6 string arpeggio at 260bpm* Yeah!"

EDIT: I really don't think people are understanding truly what I'm doing here. I'm advancing my ability to play properly, at speeds I couldn't before this, to be able to express myself through music better. Yes, believe it or not, Technique DOES have alot to do with what you're able to play. I'm doign this for the sake of technique, nothing more. I'm not doing this to say I'm the best, or to write the most beautiful ballad ever(Either way I'm not a fan of ballads...). I'm doing this purely to advance my technique, and to prove to myself that I did it. I just wanted to share it, not get told by everyone that I'm wrong and I'm ruining my playing and life, etc etc

One more thing, I'm doing this also because I want a career in music, to be a professional touring musician. Before you knock me down from that dream, think about all the others. John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Alexi Laiho, Dimebag Darrell, Randy Rhoads, Steve Vai, John Morse, Joe Satriani, Chris Broderick, Paul Gilbert, Michael Angelo Batio... Do you REALLY think they got where they are by just practicing one or two good hours a day? Hell no!, They practiced hours upon hours, day by day. They all practiced more than anyone else and they got what they wanted, so really, what makes this so wrong, what makes it such a bad idea for me to do this as well, if it's what I want with my life? Just again, sharing my opinion.
Letters to Zaya
Last edited by Ryioku at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by Ryioku
*stuff*

We should mate, I've been thinking the same for a few months now.
I left the college where I was studying law and psychology to take up a full time music performance & production course, much the dismay of my family
You are going to get bored of guitar quick and trust me you aren't the first one to try this.
Quote by herman ri2
You are going to get bored of guitar quick and trust me you aren't the first one to try this.

Again, List of guitarists above who did it, and look at them now.

Not everyone in america has ADD
Letters to Zaya
I say congrats man. If I had the time, I would definately try at least a six hour program. Sadly, though, I can only do about 3 hours a day.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
I envy you. I wish I could do that but I always get distracted with some rift and start jamming with my loop station. Now I could do that for hours
Quote by ouchies
I bet you can't keep this up for one week. Try and be more realistic

Well I'm keeping daily updates with a notebook and video camera... so I can prove it in 21 days, if that's what you want.

But, thanks for the support

EDIT: Just finished my 10th hour
Letters to Zaya
Good for you... I hope you succeed... BUT: you won't. And I'll tell ya why.

The human brain get relatively bored with things very quicky. So doing stretches and/or technical exercises for 3 hours a day just won't cut it. On top of that, there isn't really a whole lot of diversity in your workout. If I've learned anything from the P90x workout (commercials), it's that the body develops alot better and alot quicker if you diversify the workout. For example, having everything in the same order every day won't work as well if you mix it up every day. What you're attempting to do (as well as every guitar player) is build muscle and stronger (specific)motor control. But having the same routine over and over again won't be as effective as diversifying.

In addition, when one is 'working out' playing guitar, you don't want to broil the muscle into exhaustion, which is why 12 hours won't work. Just like eating, It's better to do it in little chunks, so that the muscle can grow, as opposed to one large sitting. LIke, go for three 2 hour chunks with a half an hour or an hour (if not more) in between. That way, the muscle can grow, and relax, and not get worked into oblivion. AND, whilst you wait in between, you could be doing theory! Learing how to read music, and even ear training as well... If you are serious about becoming a musician, think it over. As the wise Apollo once said, 'Nothing in Excess'. No offence, but 12 hours is wayyy excessive towards what you want to achieve.
Quote by metaldud536
Yes. When the shield generator on Endor has been deactivated, Rogue Squadron is easily able to enter the Death Star II without repurcussions.

...And that's how menstruation works.
Thank you

Whilst I do plan on diversifying, like, that routine isn't set in stone. I DO plan on mixing it up throughout the days. However I didn't think about the letting your muscles sit and relax... I'm done for today, and throughout the day, I did sessons of 50-55 minutes, with 5-10 breaks between each hour. I'm thinking that what you suggested would be better for me overall, so I might try that tomorrow.

And I dunno if this counts but I didn't get bored at all the entire 12 hours...
Letters to Zaya
Actually, You know what....

Nevermind. I'm going to do it my way, 12 hours a day, 5-10 Minute breaks in between. Every human is different and theres no reason to say it won't work. Hell its better than only playing an hour day I personally think.

My entire life I've been saying I'm gonna do things then someone comes along and tells me I wont, or I can't, and I give up.

So, bring on the barrage of "you can't do this"'s, I'm doing it one way or another.
Call me stupid, but we'll see when I'm someone's idol one day.

If they can do it, so can I.
Letters to Zaya
Quote by Ryioku
Before you knock me down from that dream, think about all the others. John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Alexi Laiho, Dimebag Darrell, Randy Rhoads, Steve Vai, John Morse, Joe Satriani, Chris Broderick, Paul Gilbert, Michael Angelo Batio... Do you REALLY think they got where they are by just practicing one or two good hours a day? Hell no!, They practiced hours upon hours, day by day.

um, follow your dreams n stuff, but be realistic. those aren't the only people who practiced tons, there are thousands of (if not more) people in the world who are as good (or better) that the guys you listed. you just don't know who they are because guess what, THEY DIDN'T GET FAMOUS. most of them just love music, imo if you're trying to get good just to be famous then you've already sold out. also, don't expect to get famous just because you're good, it doesn't work like that.
Why is everyone knocking TS down? He many not be able to keep it up, but if he can't, at the least he'll still learn a lot about guitar-playing and value his practice hours more. No need to get all "you're wasting your time dip****!" on him. Chill.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Why is everyone knocking TS down? He many not be able to keep it up, but if he can't, at the least he'll still learn a lot about guitar-playing and value his practice hours more. No need to get all "you're wasting your time dip****!" on him. Chill.

Not EVERYONE is knocking the TS down. SOme of us are trying to make his goals more realistic/attainable or help him to understand his goals. WE all want him to succeed, and some of us (more than others) are trying to help him see other options and paths to get where he wants to be.
Quote by metaldud536
Yes. When the shield generator on Endor has been deactivated, Rogue Squadron is easily able to enter the Death Star II without repurcussions.

Quote by Maidenhell666
Not EVERYONE is knocking the TS down. SOme of us are trying to make his goals more realistic/attainable or help him to understand his goals. WE all want him to succeed, and some of us (more than others) are trying to help him see other options and paths to get where he wants to be.

I see your point, but honestly it sounds like he's pretty set on doing this 12-hour thing. I don't think some random interweb-people are going to change his mind about that. Just let him give it a go and make his own learning experiences.
If you're up for it next month, I'll join you.

And it's not how long you practice, it's what you practice.

Some people can accomplish something in an hour, that would take you 12.
I know it's not the length that I practice... During those 12 hours I practiced alternate picking with string skipping, arpeggios, chord construction and theory, scales, modes, at various tempos, slowly increasing throughout the 12 hours. And I made sure i played everything without messing up, because I know if I practice and mess up, I'm just practicing at messing up...

But yes, I know I am very ambitious, but the people who got famous got famous because they worked hard at it, loved music, and wanted to be where they are. The people who are as good as them if not better love music too, but they don't have the desire to be famous. Theres nothing wrong with wanting to be famous, it's just a goal in life.
Letters to Zaya
Quote by Ryioku

But yes, I know I am very ambitious, but the people who got famous got famous because they worked hard at it, loved music, and wanted to be where they are. The people who are as good as them if not better love music too, but they don't have the desire to be famous. Theres nothing wrong with wanting to be famous, it's just a goal in life.

I'm a bit confused here. Your goal of all this is to become famous? That's really a lot more to do with networking of already famous and/or successful people. There are tons of great musicians/guitarists out there who never become known.
No it's not what I'm tryign to do, I just want to be able to play what I have in my head.

I'm not doing this to become famous.
I'm doing this to get better.
Letters to Zaya
I admire your dedication, and if you can do this good for you, but I honestly see this more as a desire to become famous or say "hey, I did this" than any love of music.
Quote by Ryioku
Wasn't sure if this is where I should have put this, but if its not, would a moderator please move it to the correct forum please?

Okay, So I've decided to do this. I've read places that a good thing to do is practice the same thing at a constant tempo every day, for at least One hour, for 21 days. Supposedly it's supposed to improve performance and break the nasty habit of improper practice. This includes using a metronome, at a fixed tempo.

Also, Steve Vai's 10 Hour workout. Practicing Techniques such as Alternate Picking, Legato, Sweep Picking, Tapping, Scales, Modes, Chord Theory, all in one big lesson.

I also read somewhere that Chris Broderick used to practice 14 Hours daily during his summer months, between school years.

What I've decided to do, out of sheer desire to become better, is to form a 21 day, 12 hour daily practice routine, that I started today. I'm on one of my short breaks at the moment, to give my hands and mind a rest. The schedule is as followed.

Hour 1: Warm ups, Technical Excercises, and Stretches.
Hour 2: Scales and Modes.
Hour 3: Chord Study.
Hour 4: Stretches, Technical Excercises.
Hour 5: Alternate Picking, Odd Timings.
Hour 6: Sweep Picking, Chord Study Combined.
Hour 7: Technical Excercises, Stretches.
Hour 8: Music Theory Study (No Guitar needed)
Hour 9: Warm Ups, Stretches, Technical Excercises.
Hour 10: Scales and Modes.
Hour 11-12: Freeform Jam.

The reason for the constant stretching and technical excercises is to make sure that your arms are constantly relaxed, and to avoid any problems, such as Tendonitis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, or RSI. The hours actually add up to be 55 minutes, allowing a 5 minute break in between each hour, again, to allow for rest of the mind and hands, so you can do it.

I'm currently on my 4th Hour of the First day of this. 21 Days to go... Anyone else up for it?

To answer incoming questions, Yes I do have a job, and Yes I do have a girlfriend and a life. I'm 19 years of age, and I'm sacrificing spending time with family/friends/loved ones, and using every waking hour not working playing guitar for 3 straight weeks.

Just thought I'd share

I don't think its a great idea. I think its a recipe for getting burnt out on guitar / music.
It looks impressive on paper, and it probably feels good to tell people that you practice that much, but It's not balanced and I don't think you will find it to be all that effective. it seems this practice routine which is supposed to be for a musical instrument, leaves out the most important part.........the music. There is no listening time, no pieces of music to learn..... just theory and technical exercises. Balance is very important, not only for a good practice routine, but for life in general. I would suggest channeling your "sheer desire to get better" into a sheer desire to play and enjoy music.

regarding all that you are sacrificing for guitar:

Practicing alot is great, but I wouldn't "sacrifice" life for it. what are you going to express as an artist if you don't experience life away from the guitar?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 1, 2008,
As fun as all of this 'you should/should not do this' conversation is, a larger, more important question (at least to me) has emerged.

WHY would you come into the MT area (no less the 'Advanced Techniques' area) to tell us about your plan if you have no intent to take any of the suggestions remotely seriously, or with an ounce of consideration for the experience in this forum (and how it could help you)?

Either you are:
a) getting kicks from watching us tell you not to do it/not to go about it the way you are
OR
b) looking for more motivation to complete your goal; with more naysayers, you are more determined to 'prove' us wrong

In either case, our comments are meaningless insofar as what we, the commenters, are wanting to achieve by making them. SO, that being said, unless this thread becomes more interesting, I'm done with it.

Best of luck though.
Quote by metaldud536

ive played 12 hours a day for about a year. im good now. dont really have much of a life. no girlfriend, no job, no money. but its fine with me.no one likes me anyways
Quote by Ryioku

John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Alexi Laiho, Dimebag Darrell, Randy Rhoads, Steve Vai, John Morse, Joe Satriani, Chris Broderick, Paul Gilbert, Michael Angelo Batio... Do you REALLY think they got where they are by just practicing one or two good hours a day? Hell no!, They practiced hours upon hours, day by day.

Some food for thought: Those great guitarists got where they are because they loved the instrument, and because they had great natural talent. They also practiced some really long hours, but this was also because they loved the instrument. If you love the instrument, you can't put it down. Passion + talent = success. That applies to any really serious goal in life. This is not quite the same as really really hard work + talent = success. Hard work is necessary, but it comes from the passion. It's just one of the things that has to be added to the talent part of the equation, not the only one.

If you *want* to practice 12 hours a day, go for it, but be very careful not to get injured. But you don't *have* to practice 12 hours to make excellent progress. If you start feeling like you're forcing yourself to keep going, don't feel you're giving up if you stop and re-evaluate. Putting a damper on your passion is far worse than missing the last few hours of some technical exercises. But if you're still having fun at hours 10, 11...there's no reason not to keep going for it (but again, dont hurt yourself).

Good luck!
Let me sum this up the way that most all of these wind up getting summed up.

Your routine: too vague. Be more specific, if you're going to devote any amount of time to improving yourself, you need to have clear concise goals. I see overlapping areas, I see the same areas repeated, I see areas practiced for needlessly long times.

Your schedule: too long. Guitar isn't the only thing you'll ever do with yourself. You wanna be a touring musician, that's great, I do to. As a matter of fact, I bet half of UG would like to be one. Here's the sad truth of reality: it probably ain't gonna happen. You're devoting a HUGE amount of time to something that may or not happen; to me it makes more logical sense to reduce the amount of time you're devoting towards guitar and apply that elsewhere, gain other skills that will help you further on in life if your goals aren't met.

It's a classic case of throwing baseballs at barn walls.

Allow me to elaborate:

You've chosen a very large target (such as a barn wall), in this case your broad and widely ranged goals.

You're planning on improving your ability (such as your aim with a baseball), in this case your technical skill and prowess on the guitar.

You're utilizing a very broad routine (such as randomly throwing a baseball), to try to hone specific skills (whether you realize it or not).

Sure, you can't miss, of course you'll get better, it's impossible to not meet your goals, to not finish your routine.

But, you know what, you'll step out onto a field after all that hard work, only to see other people put in half the work you did and have the same or better results.

You know the secret?

The painted a target on that barn wall.

It's fine to have broad goals; as a matter of fact, it's great. But to really improve, you can't just attack those broad goals, you gotta set out clear, specific goals, and determine the exact way you will achieve them.

You should be able to sit down, and write out, for each minute of practice, what you're doing, how you're doing it, and why you should do it.

You may have done this, I'm led to believe you most likely have not. No offense, but I'm going to lump you in with the general "I'm gonna practice 8+ hours a day, every day." Most people that come up with those plans don't have specific goals, if you ask them why, they'll say (A) because Vai, Satch, Dimebag, whoever did it, or (B) to get better. The former is a simply STUPID reason to do so; just because it worked for them doesn't mean it'll work for you. The latter shows that a person doesn't really know what they want out of their routine.

The reason people like Vai and Satch practiced for such ridiculous amounts of time was due, at least in part, to the fact that they had reached a level that they required that much time to make any marked improvement. Again, no offense, but I have my doubts that you've reached the level where nothing less than 12 hours will give you any improvement.

You need to consider that guitar is sort of a combination of school and exercise. If you try to learn too much, too quickly, you'll forget it, and wind up more lost than when you started. The same is true for the physical, if you train too hard for too long, you'll lose strength, not gain it, your fingers need rest like any other muscle.

Downtime is an important concept, you need time to stop and process and get ready to progress further, it's not an instantaneous process.

I don't wanna be discouraging with this, and I'm sorry if I come off as an a$$. I'm not saying your not capable of following this routine, anyone can do anything they want, if they really want to.

You just gotta make sure you realize that you need little goals to realize your larger ones, and that you need to break down the path between where you are and where you wanna be.

There's more to getting better than just practicing more, even if you have a good routine, I believe it's better to improve the quality of practice, rather than just the quantity.

And TS, this isn't directed at just you, it's aimed at everyone with huge practice routines.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Page 1 of 3