No, because most of the sound is made by the amp. A great amp will sound great with a crap guitar, but a great guitar will sound bad on a crap amp.
I've watched enough clapton performances (not in person, sadly) to realize that no matter what he plays, he still sounds like, well, him. I've seen him play dozens of different strats. Some have EMGs, some have normal looking pickups. Every time, he sounded like him. The guitar's impact on his tone is minimal. By far his playing technique is the biggest factor, and to the lesser extent his amplification/speakers/effects.
Quote by Jim85IROC
I've watched enough clapton performances (not in person, sadly) to realize that no matter what he plays, he still sounds like, well, him. I've seen him play dozens of different strats. Some have EMGs, some have normal looking pickups. Every time, he sounded like him. The guitar's impact on his tone is minimal. By far his playing technique is the biggest factor, and to the lesser extent his amplification/speakers/effects.

those are lace sensors. clapton would never touch an emg.
Quote by SiegeCrew
those are lace sensors. clapton would never touch an emg.

Only David Gilmour would.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The only way to sound just like Eric Clapton would be to have the exact same equipment, in the exact same recording studio or environment, with the exact same backing musicians, and the exact same sound technicians.

Oh, and you'd have to be Eric Clapton.

Let him be what you say he is, an "inspiration." Put yourself into your music and make it unique.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by Jim85IROC

thats very true, cause my friend was lucky enough to play with Angus Young backstage at an awards show that he and his band were asked to play at. I cant remember which one exactly, but all my friend had was an OK fender amp and i some sort of a semi-hollow body, and he let Angus Young play it, and he said his equipment wasnt anything like what Angus normally uses, but all Angus did was fiddle with a few knobs, and he sounded just like how he sounds on a AC/DC album. So no matter how hard you try you may come close to the sound you are looking for, but no matter how hard you try your going to sound like you, and Eric Clapton is going to sound like Eric Clapton. It's a shame becuase i really like Slowhand too and love his tone, but no matter how hard i've tried i'm always going to sound like me, because everyone has their one unique style.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
To add to this thread. No, of course not. No one can sound like clapton except for clapton. Honestly, if you were trying to replicate his sound, i'd go for a gibson of some sort through a marshall blues breaker or plexi. I like his early stuff, and all of it was done using that sort of set-up (w/john mayall-lp, cream-sg, later cream-335). I know that's not the complete picture of his rig, but it's a basic idea.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Clapton's early BEANO days were simply Heaven... The Yardbirds were OK... His Mayall days were amazing stuff for a YOUNG lad at that time - then onto CREAM, BLIND FAITH, etc. Clapton was at his finest in my opinion in his Gibson days. I saw Cream in 67 - Amazing Concert in Detroit. Saw him in the 70's dressed all in white with a White 335? (sure looked like a white 335 but then the Acid was good back then) - another Great Show. Seen him a few more times including last year on his tour with Robert Cray, Derek Trucks, etc. Still Clapton but now making his "Strat" sing... When he's gone pretty much ALL MY HERO's will be... Gettin' old sucks.

Still lovin' Gilmour and Jimmy Page too though.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
Clapton's early BEANO days were simply Heaven... The Yardbirds were OK... His Mayall days were amazing stuff for a YOUNG lad at that time - then onto CREAM, BLIND FAITH, etc. Clapton was at his finest in my opinion in his Gibson days. I saw Cream in 67 - Amazing Concert in Detroit. Saw him in the 70's dressed all in white with a White 335? (sure looked like a white 335 but then the Acid was good back then) - another Great Show. Seen him a few more times including last year on his tour with Robert Cray, Derek Trucks, etc. Still Clapton but now making his "Strat" sing... When he's gone pretty much ALL MY HERO's will be... Gettin' old sucks.

Still lovin' Gilmour and Jimmy Page too though.

you saw last year's tour, too? awesome. i saw it when it came through NC. it was right before i started getting into guitar. clapton was my first "guitar hero." hence the reason I have always adored strats.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
last years tour was great. Wanted to see Derek Trucks and of course Clapton. Robert Cray was amazing as he always is too.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!