I just started on this song about 20 minutes ago but I have some questions.

For the first measure in 4/4 timing is bad to do the picking pattern D D U D D U D D (basically just up stroking the A string)?

And for the 0 0 7 0 0 6 0 0 5 0 4 0 3 0 2 0 what should the fingering be? And is it alright just to alternate pick all of that?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and can some one please tell me if the 0 0 7 0 0 6 0 5 has pull offs or not?
Last edited by mick13 at Aug 1, 2008,
Dude, don't be so concerned about how other people play it. If it sounds good and you're hitting the right notes then let it be.

It's boring listening to someone play a song the exact same way it was done originally. Be a little creative.
The tab I use (the one with best ratings) says it has pull offs, I think it's like that:

7p0 0 6p0 0 5p0 4p0 3p0 2 1, on the E string.

I play without pull offs, and use the middle finger for each note, except 0s (ofc lol) and for 1, where I use index.

And I think James Hetfield just uses downstrokes, but like 12Jim34 said, play it like you want (I only play downstrokes 'cause I'm not used to alternate picking, but I've been doing exercises using alternate picking so I can get used to it).
You could also play the notes on the A string on the E (11th and 12th fret). That's how I do it (and I've seen a vid were Kirk does it like this).
I think it's easier, beacuse you're playing everything on one string.
The whole song is supposed to be down picked, for the chugging parts mostly, but if it's better for you to alternative pick it then do it. As for the 7 0 6 0 5 0 exc part, I always altern. Pick that. I don't see why not, still sounds awesome. For the core riff of MOP, it's supposed to be played down picked, but you can alternative pick it. I do it like D U D D U D D U D. Sounds awesome.
Quote by Archaon
Dude, don't be so concerned about how other people play it. If it sounds good and you're hitting the right notes then let it be.

It's boring listening to someone play a song the exact same way it was done originally. Be a little creative.

+1

A beer for the wise words:

Play the song with your penis for all I care. If it sounds good, then awesome.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
It's all whatever's comfortable for you man. As long as you hit the correct notes solidly, that's all that really matters.

And it's much easier if you can learn to alt pick it IMO.
Send this to you my master...
Here's to getting worse,
hope it kills you faster...
Show me how it hurts to rot from the inside out...
This vigil burns until the day our fires over take you,
Our father we forsake you.
play it all downstrokes, you can build up more stamina that way. MoP was one of the first few songs that I learned (without solos) and watching Hetfield I just learned it all downstrokes, apparently its good for you.

do it w/e way you want, if you're gonna throw your wrist out using all downstrokes for the love of all thats holy dont do it.
Quote by Superstrat101
play it all downstrokes, you can build up more stamina that way. MoP was one of the first few songs that I learned (without solos) and watching Hetfield I just learned it all downstrokes, apparently its good for you.

do it w/e way you want, if you're gonna throw your wrist out using all downstrokes for the love of all thats holy dont do it.

well actually I'm afraid if I use all down strokes too much I will be used it more than alternate picking.
Quote by mick13
well actually I'm afraid if I use all down strokes too much I will be used it more than alternate picking.
You'll be fine using all downstrokes for rhythm and alternate picking leads; Kirk does it, so can you.

MOP is very fast, so while it is (allegedly) all downpicked, you can use an upstroke if your right wrist needs a rest (apologies if you play lefty, but I always admire my adroit alliteration ability).
Quote by metal4all
+1

A beer for the wise words:

Play the song with your penis for all I care. If it sounds good, then awesome.

+ 1