Page 1 of 2
does anyone else feel like rock is headed downhill in today's society? i mean really, theres barely any bands out there that stay true to real feel and vibe of ACTUAL rock...all most bands care about today is meeting the demands of society and making more money...ive got nothing against the bands today because i like alot of them but i just wish rock was what it used to be...its kind of sad to say but i think rock is selling out

keep rock alive, dont listen to stuff that came after the 90's hahaha jk jk
True rock n'roll is dead. As great as it was, Motorhead and ACDC are the last true rock n roll bands.

Move on. Stop living in the past
You have to search for real rock music, or check out other genres of music.

Here:Clutch-Dragonfly
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
hahaha hell no man...i cant stand anything other than rock...i love all kinds of rock: bluesy, punk, metal, ect. but i will NEVER listen to that rap, country, or pop **** it drives me insane to have to hear it
That's a really ignorant thing to say. There are other genres besides rap, country, and pop.

slayer1516, those definitely weren't the "last true rock'n'roll" bands.
while rock most certainly is headed downhill, there are still underground bands around that are pretty good, if you look hard enough.

And AC/DC and Motorhead weren't that great, and many good rock bands came after them.
OH NOES PEOPLE STOPPED MAKING THE SAME AC/DC RECORD OVER AND OVER AGAIN ROCK IS DED 4EVER!11!11

I'm so sick of people who think Nickelback is the standard for modern music complaining about how 'rock is dead', when in reality, there's an absolutely enormous amount of bands today that are brilliant.
Quote by goldmember1217
OH NOES PEOPLE STOPPED MAKING THE SAME AC/DC RECORD OVER AND OVER AGAIN ROCK IS DED 4EVER!11!11

I'm so sick of people who think Nickelback is the standard for modern music complaining about how 'rock is dead', when in reality, there's an absolutely enormous amount of bands today that are brilliant.

Exactly. Why would you want to listen to millions of abysmally similar AC/DC cover bands compete to be #1 in the MTV2 Rock Top 10? If you don't like what the radio/T.V. sells you as music then find something you do like.
Quote by GuitarPUNK1209
does anyone else feel like rock is headed downhill in today's society? i mean really, theres barely any bands out there that stay true to real feel and vibe of ACTUAL rock...all most bands care about today is meeting the demands of society and making more money...ive got nothing against the bands today because i like alot of them but i just wish rock was what it used to be...its kind of sad to say but i think rock is selling out

keep rock alive, dont listen to stuff that came after the 90's hahaha jk jk

If you look hard enough and are open minded, there's just as much good stuff as there's ever been. Just don't expect to find it on the radio or MTV.
How dare people do something original?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
what I dislike is everyone cussing out newer bands just because they don't play the cliche blues-scale rock of AC/DC. seriously, our generation is not the "old-school" rock generation, because we're not old-school. We're defining our own style, and alot of us nowadays like it. if I were to make a band that sounded like AC/DC, chances are most of our crowd would consist of Hell's Angels and old alcoholics. Kids today (including myself) just aren't into that style of music anymore. (though I love Led Zeppelin)

EDIT: and of course you won't find good bands on MTV or the radio, there never has been good stuff on there. To quote someone else, "if you listened to Zeppelin back in the 70's, you were automatically associated with the occult by many people". Zeppelin wasn't popular music, and neither is the good rock of today.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Zeppelin wasn't popular music

Led Zeppelin was pretty damn popular.
Quote by mbbmalcolm
while rock most certainly is headed downhill, there are still underground bands around that are pretty good, if you look hard enough.

And AC/DC and Motorhead weren't that great, and many good rock bands came after them.

Whether you like those bands or not is beside the point. The point in, they reperesent the true essence of rock n' roll-however cheesy that may sound. They have stuck to their guns, playing the same Chuck Berry rock n roll that they began playing decades ago. Loud, simple, rebellious, wild. There are many, many great bands today. But all the new rock bands play rock n roll through the eyes an observor-with great respect and appreciation of the genre, rather than the classic bands who helped create the stlye and never knew it as a genre that was created by other people.

Sorry for the wall of text
Nah, there's still some great stuff going on. Get involved with your local scene.

Quote by slayer1516
True rock n'roll is dead. As great as it was, Motorhead and ACDC are the last true rock n roll bands.

Move on. Stop living in the past

Punk was and still is more true rock and roll than classic rock ever was.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Aug 2, 2008,
I'd rather listen to the music being produced now than the music being produced in the 60's and 70's.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by slayer1516
Whether you like those bands or not is beside the point. The point in, they reperesent the true essence of rock n' roll-however cheesy that may sound. They have stuck to their guns, playing the same Chuck Berry rock n roll that they began playing decades ago. Loud, simple, rebellious, wild. There are many, many great bands today. But all the new rock bands play rock n roll through the eyes an observor-with great respect and appreciation of the genre, rather than the classic bands who helped create the stlye and never knew it as a genre that was created by other people.

They represented the 'true essence?' What the hell? AC/DC and Motorhead don't sound at all like Chuck Berry. Besides, AC/DC are all buddy-buddy with Walmart and opening their own store now. Seriously, there are so many bands left today ripping off AC/DC and putting out "true rock n roll." Just look at Jet.

As pointed out in this thread, there are dozens upon dozens of brilliant bands out there today. You just won't find their t-shirts on display in Target.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
They represented the 'true essence?' What the hell? AC/DC and Motorhead don't sound at all like Chuck Berry. Besides, AC/DC are all buddy-buddy with Walmart and opening their own store now. Seriously, there are so many bands left today ripping off AC/DC and putting out "true rock n roll." Just look at Jet.

As pointed out in this thread, there are dozens upon dozens of brilliant bands out there today. You just won't find their t-shirts on display in Target.

Ok, saying "true essence" was obviosly a stupid and cheesy thing to say, but I don't know how else to express what I mean. And you didn't understand what I said at all.

Those bands you are talking about, ripping off ACDC are exactly what I am talking about. They look at rock music in retrospect, rather than a growing and evolving genre. And thats why rock, as genre, is dead. It isn't evolving anywhere. And, like I said, there are plenty of great bands playing traditional rock music. Which is perfectly healthy and normal. Its like playing traditional blues, folk, country etc. You are playing music that had been established many years ago.

BTW, take away the bombast from ACDC and Motorhead and there isn't much differance between "Ace of Spades" and "Johnny B. Goode". The only major differances are aethstetic.
Quote by slayer1516
Those bands you are talking about, ripping off ACDC are exactly what I am talking about. They look at rock music in retrospect, rather than a growing and evolving genre. And thats why rock, as genre, is dead. It isn't evolving anywhere. And, like I said, there are plenty of great bands playing traditional rock music. Which is perfectly healthy and normal. Its like playing traditional blues, folk, country etc. You are playing music that had been established many years ago.

Tera Melos proves that sentence to be absolutely 100% false.
no no no no...you guys didnt understand what i meant...i agree with almost everything you said...i just worded it wrong...im not dissing modern rock or saying that rock is dieing...its just that i feel like rock is becoming more of a popularity contest...people dont play for the love of music anymore...its just about being "cool" ...i love ALL kinds of rock but i just wish people would stop caring so much about being "cool"

and by the way: rock will never die

and P.S.

AC/DC was one of the greatest, original bands out there...dont EVER put them down lol
Quote by GuitarPUNK1209
Airbourne and Wolfmother came after AC/DC and they didnt sound ANYTHING like those other bands

ACDC are complete, basic, 3-chord rock n' roll. The same stuff from the 50s. They just made it louder, heavier and added the athestics. Still a great band though.
To me rock is about being able to make people go crazy through your music i think the best way to do this is have an awesome high speed solo and a blues based riff
That gets stuck in your head and good stage presence if a band has all this to me thats rock and roll there are still rockers around check out some me your local pubs or bars
yes there are a few bands who sound like the rockers of old Eg: Jet, Airbourne ect
BUT THATS NOT A BAD THING
yes modern rock music is MOSTLY all emo **** or pop crap
YES THAT IS A BAD THING

AND YES AC/DC ARE POSSIBALY THE GREATEST BAND EVER TO WALK THE EARTH
so dont go QQing about em
bang your head to them

YOU WANT TO QQ LISTEN TO EMO BANDS
CANT FIND EMO BANDS LISTEN TO A PILE OF **** ITS ABOUT THE SAME
CANT FIND A **** GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC
Quote by rockerjesus
yes there are a few bands who sound like the rockers of old Eg: Jet, Airbourne ect
YES THAT IS A BAD THING

bang your head to them

Last edited by Broken_Drum at Sep 10, 2008,
This is a debate that is going to go on for ages. I think the problem is, the record companies that used to exist, who would trust instinct rather than how "market penetrative" a band is are no longer with us. These are the companies that would sign a band and give them a chance, which is why bands like Aerosmith and Guns N Roses were allowed to do their own thing.

These days, the companies have all merged into faceless corporations who are interested in following trends, and putting out music that mtv will play etc. This is why a lot of artists these days are choosing to put their music out themselves, via the internet. So the chances are, there are probably a whole heap of really cool bands out there who haven't been given a chance.

So hunt for good music! Don't be satisfied with indie and pop punk! (No offence to those guys who do that music or dig it, I just think its crap )
Quote by rockerjesus
YES THAT IS A BAD THING

bang your head to them

In regards to this and a lot of what "guitarpunk" is saying ACDC is possibly one of the most overrated bands ever. They are fun, they are a good time, but the reasons you love them so much, thinking they weren't in it for the popularity, is kinda absurd. Of course they were in it for the money, women, good times to be had on tour, and other things. Recently they just announced their next album will be sold as a walmart exclusive. Not any other record distributor can touch them new. ACDC has this reputation of being the best from 12 year old guitarists everywhere. I used to be one. Ha. Its funny to see the middle schoolers on this website all the time.

Also bands like tera melos and others prove what you say to be false. I think i read somewhere they pour money into their touring, and do that extensively. When you look at who they play with, they are often paired with bands that have fans who boo them offstage, but they keep going because they love it. Its pretty funny. I just used tera melos as an example because they are one of my favorite bands, but i know there are so many others. Music isnt a popularity contest, quit listening to the radio.

and to the retard i quoted. There are many "emo" bands that are truly amazing. Listen to cap'n jazz. Listen to the kidcrash. There is a link to their free albums published by the group themselves. I suggest "jokes" and "demo 06" to start with.
http://www.denovali.com/kidcrash/
Intense. They really could use the money if you do feel like donating. cool group of guys.
Expand your horizons. Just learn to get past it and listen to some new genres. And **** tha' police.
Chaos is a friend of mine
I know I'm repeating the sentiments of others, but if you really don't like what's on the radio or MTV, stop listening/watching it. Spend an hour or two on myspace and iTunes browsing music and don't click on any bands you already know, you're bound to find some good stuff. Also, try getting into different genres. Funk, jazz, hip-hop (yes, there IS good hip-hop), soul, etc.
Rock is not dead.

[/thread]

Quote by rockerjesus
YES THAT IS A BAD THING

bang your head to them

Pfft. 'emo ****' is way cooler than classic rock.
Quote by rockerjesus
YES THAT IS A BAD THING

bang your head to them

Your eloquence and mastery of the English language has encouraged me to become a classic rock elitist. Thank you for showing me the light.

ZOMGZOMG AC/DC ZOMGZOMG LED ZEPPELIN ZOMGZOMG POISON ZOMGZOMG
Page 1 of 2