Page 1 of 2
i tend to use my distortion pedal as a clean boost for bass solos i just turn the vol. level knob up with the dist. knob all the way down but sometimes distorted bass can sound really good if set right
]
the combo we borrowed for practice and gigs (lol,pretty sad) had a gain option on it. our bassist played around with it, and he distorded his a litle bit. but realy muddy bass sometimes doesnt fit with punk.
Quote by Fatal_Rage
i tend to use my distortion pedal as a clean boost for bass solos i just turn the vol. level knob up with the dist. knob all the way down but sometimes distorted bass can sound really good if set right

in solos it´s ok, though a distorted bass nearly immediately sounds like Sick of it all or trashcore
I'm not a huge fan of distorting mah bass, but I do like to basically crank the treble on it up to max. I hate that dull thud sound you get when most people play bass. I like my bass to have some flavor to it.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash
I'm not a huge fan of distorting mah bass, but I do like to basically crank the treble on it up to max. I hate that dull thud sound you get when most people play bass. I like my bass to have some flavor to it.

I've come up with a really nice bass sound for K'gesang.

It's got low end, no muddy low mid, and midrange growl.

If kittens had a really deep growl, it would sound like that bass sound.
I dont like distorting my bass. my amp has distortion but i think its broken
because it sounds mega ****ty
Distorted bass doesn't sound good in punk because punk guitar is mostly chords, and distorted bass works better with single note lines or octaves because it fills out the space.
I was playing my bass through my distortion pedal last night for ****s and giggles. I wouldn't use distorted bass in a punk band though.
I like it, as I'm sure everyone else who likes crust does.

Aside from crust though, there's not much point.
I wish you guys could hear this sweet song I recorded on bass. I ran a bass through a guitar filter on my friends recording program and it sounds sweet. It's hella distorted, and it's one of the few times it works.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
I like messin around with distortion and other effects but I never use them in songs besides an envelope filter that I use occasionally
When my band practices the bass is always distorted, cause it's pretty much in-audible unless I put all the settings up to 10, haha. At shows I like the sound to have balls, but not really distorted.
brnh.bandcamp.com
I don't like it, though a few bands I do like use distorted bass. When I bass around in my band, I like the clean feel. BUT DATS JUS ME.

Quote by Doolittle
I don't like it, though a few bands I do like use distorted bass. When I bass around in my band, I like the clean feel. BUT DATS JUS ME.

You're bass can sound a wee tad bit overdriven if you turn it up enough.
Although it usually isn't.
But it was with that first head you got.
Quote by neidnarb11890
You're bass can sound a wee tad bit overdriven if you turn it up enough.
Although it usually isn't.
But it was with that first head you got.

That was actually a combo amp, now I have the head + cab set up, which can become distorted which is lame.

Quote by Doolittle
That was actually a combo amp, now I have the head + cab set up, which can become distorted which is lame.

No no, that first head you got, and it was distorted as **** even at low volumes. Then you exchanged it for the one you have now. That was a combo?
Or are you talking about your former combo amp (our current "PA")?
Being in a primarily ska group, we don't really do anything distorted. Even on the non-ska songs, I prefer overdriven guitars, but that's not really the topic of this thread, now is it?
Bass sounds amazing when its clean because it is not compressed nor does it encroach on any of the other musicians.
I prefer a punchy, sometimes slightly gainy sound. I only use my fuzz for special occasions.
I do not like distorted bass at all.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I like clean bass with lots of treble. In my last band, my bassist was using a guitar head with a bass cab, and the head didn't have enough output for bass, so he had to use the distorted channel. My bandmates thought it sounded punk as ****, I absolutely hated it.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by neidnarb11890
No no, that first head you got, and it was distorted as **** even at low volumes. Then you exchanged it for the one you have now. That was a combo?
Or are you talking about your former combo amp (our current "PA")?

Ah yes, I've blocked that thing out of my memory heh

Quote by lavazza
^I see PMS will split because the guitar and the bass are arguing^^

Nah, I clash with everyone, so it's nothin'

Adding some subtle distortion and cranking the mids can really help fill out the sound of a band with only one guitarist during solos. Other than that, I prefer clean bass.
Quote by Doolittle
Ah yes, I've blocked that thing out of my memory heh

I thought I was going crazy for a second.

Adding some subtle distortion and cranking the mids can really help fill out the sound of a band with only one guitarist during solos. Other than that, I prefer clean bass.

Or if there IS no guitar ( )
nah, i like a trebly sound to my bass. my friend says i might as well play guitar again :P
soymilk please <3
Doesn't bother me as long as they don't use a pick, **** that picks on a bass.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Page 1 of 2