there are little black spots on the underneath of mys trings next to the frets--- should i change them? i've had them on about 4 months but i dont't hear any loss of tone
The tone was dead months ago, change your strings as that black is rust and corrosion. They are gonna snap soon pretty much.
Those are marks where the string has been pushed against the fret, unless there are marks all over theres no real need to change them but it may be worth looking into some string cleaner.
Quote by Acquiescence
there are little black spots on the underneath of mys trings next to the frets--- should i change them? i've had them on about 4 months but i dont't hear any loss of tone

That's way too damn long for any untreated or uncoated string. replace. now.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Zarros
Not to hijack but is it bad if you get these within two weeks?

In my experience, I've only seen spots that quickly on an acoustic with uncoated strings in a damp environment. You probably want to check where you're storing the thing. Get a dehumidifier for your place if it's in the open or possibly air out your guitar case if it's stored in there.
Quote by DJeannot
In my experience, I've only seen spots that quickly on an acoustic with uncoated strings in a damp environment. You probably want to check where you're storing the thing. Get a dehumidifier for your place if it's in the open or possibly air out your guitar case if it's stored in there.

My hands sweat like crazy whenever I play so that might be it. Someone told me I may have acidic sweat but is that even plausible?

(Ill stop now, you can have your thread back haha)
Quote by Zarros
My hands sweat like crazy whenever I play so that might be it. Someone told me I may have acidic sweat but is that even plausible?

(Ill stop now, you can have your thread back haha)

some people can have strings last longer than others.

Like I can have a pair of strings on for 3-4 weeks before they start to lose tone or anything because I simply don't sweat on my hands.

What you should do is try some coated strings, they're alittle more expensive, but the life is longer and they play better.
Quote by Zarros

Yes, it makes your strings rust faster.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
CHANGE THEM!

those strings are dead..you should change them at the very longest once a month
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3