im trying to use a metronome right now, but i just cant get the hang of it.

i can't get 4 notes in a beat no matter how slow it is and can only ever land on the beat if im playing 1 note per beat.

can anyone tell me how to use a metronome?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I'm the same way sort of. I feel i have fairly good timing on my own or with a band but I just can't get the hang of using metronomes properly.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
4 notes in a beat is a 16th note.
if its doing a 4/4 beat, then every beat is a 4th/quarter note

two notes in between each beat is an 8th
4 is a 16th
8 is a 32nd
and i dont think it goes beyondf that. i mean it may but i severely doubt youll see it
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Quote by atla18

4 is a 16th
8 is a 32nd
and i dont think it goes beyondf that. i mean it may but i severely doubt youll see it

sorry, i think i was unclear - i know that i just can't physically do it with a metronome. thanks for trying to help anyway

Quote by atla18

4 is a 16th
8 is a 32nd

It does, but you won't see it in contemporary music.
Okay, if you are having trouble keeping time with your guitar, then just for a few minutes ditch the guitar. Set the metronome on about 80bpm and clap along with every beat, so that you are playing even quarter notes. Then, go to playing eighth notes. Lower the speed if it's too fast. After you've mastered eighth notes, then move on to sixteenth notes. Again, lower the speed if it's too fast (at 80bpm, I'm sure it will be). Once you've mastered that, you can go on to playing eighth note triplets.......

Just repeat the whole process for any rhythm you're having trouble with and you'll be fine.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Playing "in groups" will help to solve it.

Start with the first 5 notes (also, make sure the metronome is set slow enough --
probably around 60BPM is good place to start). Now, try to play the 1st note on
the click, notes 2,3,4, then note 5 on the next click, then STOP.

Repeat that until notes 1 and 5 fall EXACTLY on the click and you're comfortable doing
it. Now, "add a group". The next 4 notes. You'll be trying to hit the clicks on
notes 1, 5, and 9.

Then just keep adding groups until you can comfortably play all the way through
in time to the clicks. Then, you can increase BPM and do similar group work as
needed.
thanks iron dude, ill try that.

and edg, how do i do that? im using the online metronome thing

You'll want to stick to simple rhythms at first. Just now that for everytime you hear a click you have to play a note on then the click, then one before the next click.

Just try to get used to eight note rhythms, two notes per click, and then try 16, 4 notes per click, then you shouldn't have to go much faster than that unless you're in a crazy band. Work your way up as far BPM goes, get faster and faster until your comfortable with the speed, then go up 5BPM and go until your comfortable with that.

also. Try counting 1 2 3 4 on each click. if it's eigth notes do 1&2&3&4 or with 16ths you can go 1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a

get it?
Quote by Iron_Dude
, then just for a few minutes ditch the guitar. Set the metronome on about 80bpm and clap along with every beat, so that you are playing even quarter notes.

great advice.

once you can do that... then try it on guitar.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
great advice.

once you can do that... then try it on guitar.

Thanks. I had the same issue with strumming in time back when I first started, and my teacher showed me how to clap in time. I can now strum the hell out of that Beatles song.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
hey i have been playing guitar for about a year, and i haven't ever really used a metronome. but i found this website and it produces the different bpm, and i had a question. when i am playing a scale am i supposed to hit a note every time the metronome clicks, or do i play 2 or 4 notes in between the clicks and then on the click or what? i seriously dont know how to get
benefits out of a metronome. any replies would be helpful. thanks!
Last edited by jellyjam17 at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by jellyjam17
hey i have been playing guitar for about a year, and i haven't ever really used a metronome. but i found this website and it produces the different bpm, and i had a question. when i am playing a scale am i supposed to hit a note every time the metronome clicks, or do i play 2 or 4 notes in between the clicks and then on the click or what? i seriously dont know how to get
benefits out of a metronome. any replies would be helpful. thanks!
also sorry for posting on your forum but i couldent figure out how to post.

A metronome keeps a steady beat. You can stop your foot in time with the clicks and play however you like. Mainly, a metronome will stop you from speeding up and slowing down.