i was thinking of selling my 5150 II and my mesa single rectifier solo head and going to a rack based setup.

im interested in using a mesa 2:100 recto power amp and a engl e530 preamp.

i really like the sound of my 5150 for rhythms especially when i hava a bbe 482 in the loop.

i play high gain extreme metal, which goes from staccato notes to, fast leads, melodic chord progs etc.

i like the engl pre because of the recording capability and boost options, i also hear it has a good clean channel.

how do you think this setup will stand up to the amps i already own. is it worth the switch? any body have any experience with either of these?
I personally can't see much point to going to a rack unless you use a LOT of effects, etc., or like to combine pre and power amps.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
well i use a bbe 482, and a isp decimator pro rack g. but have been having trouble getting them to work together. i also am interested in eventually using a tc-electronics system for reverbs and such on my solos, because as of right now they sound a bit sterile, and i think that could bring some life into it.
In which case, I'd say go rack - as you already have some rack equipment.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'm not a terribly big fan of the Engl 530. I know it's all subjective but I was much happier playing around with the Tech21 SansAmp PSA and the Soldano SP-77. I could get the SansAmp to do literally everything the Engl could, and about a thousand more things as well. I have a friend with a couple of Mesa preamps, and they sound quite good, but I haven't had an opportunity to sit around and pick them apart yet.

The most essential thing you might not have thought about yet for a versatile rack rig is a quality switching system. Basically it allows you to switch in/out any combination of effects/processors/preamps/etc with ease. I spent some time playing around with the cheap (Voodoo Lab), the expensive (Axxess), and found bliss with the RJM RG-16.

Also get yourself a good power conditioner and a bazillion patch cables (or one of those DIY pedalboard kits). When dealing with guitar stuff you generally don't need a very deep rack case (I'd say no more than 14 inches rackable depth if that, I've never needed one deeper than 12 inches) so don't spend the extra money on a case that's 20 inches deep and built for PA power amps. But do make sure and get a case that's at least 2U bigger than you think you will need as something else always comes up.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM