Im currently learning stairway to heaven solo and i fingerpick the solo but cant play completely it fast(yet) but every video i watch the player is using a pick but whats better to play the song with figers or a pick? Also just what is better to play any song with??? Thanks
i used to think the pick was superior to the finger picking method, then my uncle came and licked out a few riffs I was shredding with his fingers. Either way is a learned behavior, so its a matter of preference. Its widely accepted that the electric guitar sounds better with a pick becuase of the clarity it offers. Personally i pick my electric and finger pick my acoustic.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
I play with pick for the intro, It's a great song to get good at finger picking, so I'd finger pick if it was me, but it's up to you.
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
i do fingerpick the intro i use a pick for the middle part of the song but i wanna know to pick or fingerpick the solo... so can u still shred with fingers???
You play the solo with a pick. It gives the notes that extra bit of clarity needed.

EDIT: You probably play faster fingerpicking, because it's basically 4 or 5 plectrums, isn't it.

Well, not exactly, but that's how I see it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I think you can go quicker with the pick with less practice, but if you get really good at it I think you can go faster with fingerpicking, I mean you have 4 fingers vs 1 pick.. but it takes more practice I think.

personally I play the solo with a pick, I think it's easier like that and it sounds better imo. When you fingerpick it makes the note sound more bassy, if that makes sense..
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
why would you play the solo with fingers? wouldnt get the same attack really, and it would be muuch easier haha. But fingerpick the intro and stuff
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
yes that does make sense so thanks... any tips on learning to play lead with the pick?
learn how to alternate pick. Thats a very important technique to know.
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
at the moment i can only fingerpick it but thats the way ive learnt to play how long do you think it will take to learn to play with the pick??
at the moment i can only fingerpick it but thats the way ive learnt to play how long do you think it will take to learn to play with the pick??
music is music, it doesn't matter how you do it, it is still music no matter which way you pick. which ever way feels better to you is the best way to do it (that's what she said?).
Quote by Sir Anonymous
Hybriding?

This.

Pissed me off learning it for Cliffs Of Dover

EDIT: You can do what you want. It just depends how you want to deliver the music. There's a quote for guitarists that goes (this applies to righties) "Your left hand is what you know, your right hand is who you are."
Last edited by YourDad at Aug 1, 2008,
my personal technique for playing that song is kind of conplex...
on the intro, I start out playing with a pick, then in the middle part I still play with a pick...but for the solo, I always use a pick.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by pkg2008
What Is Hybriding???

I think that just means using both simultaneously or switching back and forth by holding the pick in between your index and mid fingers up past the first knuckle while finger picking a part.
^^ Why would you post the same thing 4 times in a row?
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix