Well i'm sick of the feedback my distortion+, tubescreamer, and english muff'n give my classic 30 (plus the tone isn't what i'm looknig for) and my crate V58 is just useless so i plan on selling them plus the tubescreamer. i was looking at new amps and i came across this Carvin all tube power amp it uses EL34's and can be biased to use other tubes.

I think this power amp would go great with my english muff'n because the english muff'n is desinged to mimic a marshall plexi pre-amp and that, along with an el34 power amp and an avatar 2x12, would get me a pretty good plexi type tone (i think).

What ohms should i get for cab to pair with the power amp?

What do you guys think? Are there any other EL34 power amps for less out there (the only other one i know of is the marshall one and it is $1100).

If this is a stupid idea, then can someone suggest an amp that is plexi sounding for less than $1000 that would go great with a distortion+ and an english muff'n for a boost?

Thanks!
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Why not just get a Marshall Plexi clone and cab...

Well i thinking of getting a ceriatone 18 watt TMB combo or a 36/18 watt combo (is there any difference besides wattage), i just have to convince my parents to spend that much on an amp and to buy from that site

Also is there any advantage to getting the head and cab?
I think a head and 2x12 is easier to transport than a combo. Just my opinion.

The Ceriatone 18 watter is a great amp, and those guys do great builds and have excellent service.
Quote by al112987
I think a head and 2x12 is easier to transport than a combo. Just my opinion.

The Ceriatone 18 watter is a great amp, and those guys do great builds and have excellent service.

Yeah i've heard a lot of good things about Ceriatone and i've even talked by email to the guy that does the builds and he seemed like a really nice person.

What difference would there be with 2X12 and 1X12 (volume wise, tone wise)? I just don't want to have to move a huge speaker cab and pay extra if the difference isn't that much
Volume wise, not really different but 2 speakers push more air so you get more "oomphf" and might percieve more volume?

But imo, 1x12 tends to sound a little bit boxy. The 18 watter traditionally goes through a 1x12, if you buy the 36 watter, you might want to try a 2x12.

I'm not going to lie, I feel safer carrying a head and a cab seperately. I'd rather take a 30lbs head and a 40 lbs cab, than risk dropping a 60 lbs combo.
Yeah i see what you mean my classic 30 sounds a bit boxy and compressed when i crank it (one of the reasons i don't like it).

And i think i'm getting the 36 watter and a 2x12 (which is gonna take ages to save up for) cause i'm gonna need some clean headroom but i'd like to have overdrive at lower volumes to

Yeah i don't like moving my classic 30 it's really tough to move

Thanks!
Quote by al112987

I'm not going to lie, I feel safer carrying a head and a cab seperately. I'd rather take a 30lbs head and a 40 lbs cab, than risk dropping a 60 lbs combo.

Up until I read that, Ive disagreed with everyone whos sed that a cab and head are easier to transport than a combo, but youve just swayed me.

Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
The Carvin power amp is solid and sounds good. I would try and run some type of preamp though. The guitar signal is a high impedance instrument level signal, and most power amps are designed for low impedance line level signals.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM