I searched, and nothing came up. I'm surprised that I did not see one of these.

I could have put this is in the Classic Rock forum, but Mark is a very versitile player, so it could have gone either way.

So, anyway here it is. The only Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits thread.

Discuss.

=)
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
His solo in Sultans of Swing made me want to own a Fender.

By the way, there's a Dire Straits thread in the CR forum.
LOL
Well, he uses a Gibson Les Paul, and he finger picks. not sure what amp or what amp settings he uses though.
Quote by slidething31
Quote by biohazardist
Well, he uses a Gibson Les Paul, and he finger picks. not sure what amp or what amp settings he uses though.

I've seen him play Strats.
LOL
Yeah, he uses a Les Paul for Money for Nothing, though.

Strats, and PRS's are his main guitars I think though.
Quote by slidething31
Quote by mixture25
how dyou get that nice sound he uses in money for nothing?

if you don't have a les paul I've found you can get fairly close with a strat by putting at the neck+middle position and turning one of the tones all the way down (can't remember which at the moment).

On topic - I only have one Knopfler solo cd, which I don't really care for. I love his stuff with Dire Straits, but his cd "Get Lucky" is just too much of a celtic sort of thing for my liking. Phenomenal guitar player though.
Last edited by stratoclap at Apr 21, 2010,
he's is own man, a unique distinctive style.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Get Lucky is definitely one of the best albums I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Absolutely extraordinary playing from all musicians involved.
Les Paul, middle position with bridge humbucker tone control set close to zero, through a cry-baby wah half-rocked.

Full article on recording Brothers in Arms at:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may06/articles/classictracks_0506.htm

John Illsley in the live room at AIR Montserrat, with a selection of guitars...
"I remember Mark's Les Paul Junior going through a Laney amp, and that was the sound of 'Money For Nothing'," says Dorfsman. "We were actually going for a sort of ZZ Top sound, but what we ended up getting was kind of an accident. Mark would be in the control room and we'd run a lead out to the main area, and I remember getting a channel set up to monitor, heading out to the room to move the mics around, and Mark's guitar tech Ron Eve getting on the talkback and telling me not to touch anything because it sounded amazing as it was.

"One mic was pointing down at the floor, another was not quite on the speaker, another was somewhere else, and it wasn't how I would want to set things up — it was probably just left from the night before, when I'd been preparing things for the next day and had not really finished the setup. Nevertheless, whether it was the phase of the mics or the out-of-phaseness, what we heard was exactly what ended up on the record. There was no additional processing on that tune during the mix.

"Later on, we tried to recreate that guitar sound at the Power Station with the same amp, same setup and same models of microphone, but we could never get it. I'd drawn extensive pictures and had a little map of how everything was set up, but there must have been something weird going on to make the guitar sound that way in Montserrat, because in New York it sounded like a cleaner, karaoke version of the same thing. I messed around with it for a good couple of hours, but Mark was just getting bored and wanted to move on. The whole thing was very confusing.

"Later on, a lot of people asked me how I got the sound on the record, but it was just one of those happy accidents that have not happened to me very often. I don't know if something was broken, but we could not recreate that sound again. All I know is, it was the sound of Mark playing, using his fingers instead of a pick, together with the Laney amp. It felt and sounded so good that I just had him do five or six passes and later comped something together and wound up using a couple of the passes in the final mix, putting a double in at certain points even though that wasn't something he normally did.
Last edited by ColdGin at Apr 25, 2010,
Went to see him a couple of weeks ago in the royal albert hall London. I must say his solo stuff isn't as good as dire straits', but I like get lucky though
Last edited by Joowst at Jun 22, 2010,
I have always loved his playing. he puts alot of soul with his music.

Man, I have watched alot of Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins stuff. I is pretty amazing. he has definetly got my respect.
----------------------
good times

---------------------------

-- A.L.W.--

----------------------

when you just get tired of all the effects and riffs.

I'm going through sultans of swing with my guitar teacher, knopfler does some really cool stuff that you dont fully appreciate just listening to it

I'm thinking of getting the first dire straits album, what are some opinions on it? How are the other albums?
Quote by Cold Flame44

I'm thinking of getting the first dire straits album, what are some opinions on it? How are the other albums?

Evolved ?

My personal favorites are Dire Straits' first 2 LPs, "Dire Straits" and "Communique" and the BBC sessions recording though. I like the raw rockin' gee-tar-straight-in-amp sound, with a special favorite: the Rockpalast concerts (you can find them on youtube).

After that, DS LPs are over produced, sound over-processed.