Like the title says, I have an Ibanez RG370DX and I find the Ibanez pickups absolute ****e, in fact I prefer the pickups on my beginner level Ibanez.
So I was thinking about changing to EMG's and well could someone explain to me whats the difference between passive and active,and which EMG model is passive or active or could you suggest a reasonably priced pickup? If I've put this in the wrong thread I'm sorry.
Active pickups require a 9V battery for them to work and can have a much higher output than most passive pups. With a nice tube amp, it results in your amp being driven more which essentially means br00talz. They also require 25K pots.
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Having the active set is like having a mini preamp in your guitar, gives you more gain and more punch.

EMG makes passive pickups but they sound like **** in my opinion. Their active humbuckers are popular in the metal community (particularly the 60, 81, 85 models), but I personally think they are characterless, sterile and sound very bland.

Also, it depends on what your definition of reasonably priced is, but the pickups run about $200 per set. A bit more expensive than Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio, but not super costly.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 1, 2008,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_(music)

EDIT: link doesnt work, but search in wikipedia. it is all knowing
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
Emg's have a battery powered preamp which increases the output. But in doing so it robs the guitar of a bit of its natural resonance, which is why EMG's sound sterile. Passives have no preamp and are powered by the amp. EMG 81, 85, and 60 are the most popular active models and EMG Herts are the passives. Most people with EMG's put an 81 in the bridge and a 85\60 in the neck and they sound great. I have no experience with the hertz models so i couldnt tell u how those sound. Converting your guitar to actives will require some extra routing and you'll have to change your volume\tone pots and the input jack.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
You can just try them out at a store. Try passive vs active and you can immediately tell the diffference.
I heard you raeally can't do so much besides metal with active pickups cuz they just cause distortion so if you wanted versitility i would say passives but i don't really know. how do you know if you need new pickups? i gota Crate flexwave solid state amp so does it even matter if i change pickups?
Also a trick with Emg's is running them at 18v's its makes them less sterile and alot more organic like a passive. Pretty much cures all the issues with them and you still keep the bite.

Also a great thing about them is there not picky about what guitar there put in generally they will sound the same in any guitar with just a slight brighter or darker tone change. So if you have a cheap guitar with bad wood it can make a world of difference but if you are sporting a 1000+ guitar and not playing metal you might want to stick with passives..
Quote by Shecter78787
I heard you raeally can't do so much besides metal with active pickups cuz they just cause distortion so if you wanted versitility i would say passives but i don't really know. how do you know if you need new pickups? i gota Crate flexwave solid state amp so does it even matter if i change pickups?

EMGs do not cause distortion, they just increase the output. You just have to lower the gain on the amp, it's perfectly possible to get completely clean tones out of it.

If you don't know if you need new pickups, you don't need them. And with a solid state amp, you won't be able to tell that much of a difference when upgrading to EMGs anyways.