Yeah im new even though ive been here for two years, but i rly didnt use it for a year and a half. So i have audacity. Now what do i do to record a cover song?
Thanks
you use a microphone and record it..
and also this should be in riffs and recording
member of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm silvertoness11 to join

Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
In the beginning there was nothing...

...which exploded.

UG MISSLE SILO!
Please explain a little more. Are you doing this for fun? How good of quality do you expect? Your budget. Heck you could use your phone or spend a couple thousand dollars.
Quote by guitarheroII
Yeah im new even though ive been here for two years, but i rly didnt use it for a year and a half. So i have audacity. Now what do i do to record a cover song?

Learn the song. All the parts of the various instruments of the song. Then program what you can't play using MIDI. Record what you can play. Unleash it on the world. Bask in the glory. That's pretty much it.
Quote by Kjoyea
you use a microphone and record it..
and also this should be in riffs and recording

i think your lost
I like to listen to the song a few times and actually play alone with it when recording each part for my cover. IMO, the point of a cover is to try and get as close to the original as you can. This includes instrument tones, fills, and every detail you can hear in the original track.

Start out with drums, MIDI is nice to work with when it comes to software drums.
Add some bass, guitar parts, vocals...ect.

As for recording hardware, you'll want an audio interface, mics, stands, cables, a fairly good PC or Mac computer, software such as Reaper or Audacity, and of course studio monitors are nice for mixing the song on.
Lastly you need talent and skill, both for the instruments and using the recording hardware/software. This step will make or break you.

Tweak's Guide is good to go though when it comes to recording setups. Figure out which is the best setup for you.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm
Quote by moody07747
IMO, the point of a cover is to try and get as close to the original as you can. This includes instrument tones, fills, and every detail you can hear in the original track.

This might be fine if you're doing it as an exercise of sorts but otherwise, what's the point? Somebody already recorded that song, and just like that for that matter, and chances are that the reason you're doing the cover is that you like the song. So why just recreate it? In my book it's much more interesting to learn the song and then make it your own. Like Hendrix did with All Along the Watchtower or Travis's excellent take on Baby One More Time.
There is no right answer to that. Everyone has their opinion. Sometimes, the same person will cover two different songs for two different reasons, and as a result, decide to do one true to the original, and do another in completely their own way.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Personally, I think if you're trying to get as close to the original as possible, then it's a waste of time. That's just me though, but if I wanted to hear the original, I'd just listen to that one.
There is poetry in despair.