Poll: Which format is best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which format is best?
1A
8 42%
1B
1 5%
2A
0 0%
2B
10 53%
Voters: 19.
As you've probably noticed, some song titles have a word/phrase and then another word/prase in parentheses. I'm writing a 3-part suite. I want them all to be related by one common name, but I'm not sure whether I should put the suite title in parentheses or the song title. I'm also not sure whether I should have the Parenthetical clause first or second. I'll give examples below and make a poll to see everyone's opinion.

Option 1A:
"Individual Song Name" ("Suite Name" pt.1)
"Individual Song Name" ("Suite Name" pt.2)
"Individual Song Name" ("Suite Name" pt.3)

Option 1B:
("Suite Name" pt.1) "Individual Song Name"
("Suite Name" pt.2) "Individual Song Name"
("Suite Name" pt.3) "Individual Song Name"

Option 2A:
("Individual Song Name") "Suite Name" pt.1
("Individual Song Name") "Suite Name" pt.2
("Individual Song Name") "Suite Name" pt.3

Option 2B:
"Suite Name" pt.1 ("Individual Song Name")
"Suite Name" pt.2 ("Individual Song Name")
"Suite Name" pt.3 ("Individual Song Name")

I'm leaning towards 1A (probably why I wrote it first), but what do you guys think?
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Aug 1, 2008,
as far as my music collection goes, I'd go to either of the B options because that way they'd be in alphabetical order
I'm leaning towards 2B. The way I see it, every piece in a suite contributes towards a whole, so it's only logical to put the name of the suite first. I would personally put the name of each individual movement in parentheses to emphasize that each piece is subordinate to the entire work. I would (and have) done it different, though. My format is generally...

[B]Suite name[/B]
     - Movement Name
     - Movement Name
     - Movement Name

If I had to reference an individual movement, I would do it in the format of 2B.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Aug 1, 2008,
I would think it sould be option B, but instead of parentheses have a colon dividing the suite name and the individual name. If you really want parentheses then I agree with 2B.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Aug 1, 2008,
i like 1a best too, my reasoning is this

each song/movment is going to be its own set of ideas, essentially its own song that will be tied together by an overall theme. like this

"understanding the chimp" ("tales of the orangutan" pt.1)
"becoming the ape" ("tales of the orangutan" pt.2)
"gorilla be thy name" ("tales of the orangutan" pt.3)
Last edited by z4twenny at Aug 1, 2008,

I think

"Tales of the Orangutan I: Understanding the Chimp"
"Tales of the Orangutan II: Becoming the Ape"
"Tales of the Orangutan III: Gorilla Be Thy Name"

is better.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Aug 1, 2008,
Arch, I'm trying to format it in iTunes. I do think your coded format is probably the best and I would write it that way on an Album or CD with each "movement" getting an individual track, but I can't do that on iTunes.

I appreciate all responses, but I'm going with 2B. Or would it be better to go with colons rather than parentheses a la the post above mine by non-mod Psych?
Also, since this is a suite and whatnot, you might also want to put I, II, III instead of pt. 1/2/3. Looks classier.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Pt. I, Pt. II, and Pt. III, or just I, II, and III? And if the former, should I leave out the periods?

This is not Classical or New-Classical music; it is hard rock/metal and includes "Song 2" from my profile, so I may not worry about looking classy and formal; DT had "Metropolis Pt.1," so I don't feel bad about writing that way.

As of now, I have "Monkey to Man, Pt. 3 (Darwin was right after all)" in my iTunes (without the quotation marks). Suggestions on how to format that are welcome.

Edit: No, that's not the actual title, but in my typical secrecy, I will not reveal the actual title; however, you will hopefully own the album someday and see for yourself. You'll know it's me because you listened to "Song 2" on my profile way back when and recognize it as part of the suite.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
; however, you will hopefully own the album someday and see for yourself.

if by own you mean torrent the album.....
Quote by bangoodcharlote
\Edit: No, that's not the actual title, but in my typical secrecy, I will not reveal the actual title; however, you will hopefully own the album someday and see for yourself. You'll know it's me because you listened to "Song 2" on my profile way back when and recognize it as part of the suite.
Is it as a band or a solo thing?
I was actually joking about the classy part. I got the I, II, III idea from the "A Mind Beside Itself" suite from Awake.

EDIT: It's written like this:

"A Mind Beside Itself - I - Erotomania"
"A Mind Beside Itself - II - Voices"
"A Mind Beside Itself - III - The Silent Man"

but I don't like the dashes.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by z4twenny
if by own you mean torrent the album.....

that made me giggle.

I like 2b.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by bangoodcharlote

You better pay for my fucking music!

pay for music?...... this is an interesting and intriguing concept you present.... this, how did you say again...... "pay for music"

personally when i get done with my cd i'm just gonna torrent it
i might put it online somewhere to be bought but if you don't wanna buy it you don't have to (or offer the mp3's on torrents and the high quality wav's to be bought)
thats just my 2 cents
1A is alright, but I think 2B is the best.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the post that said that you already decided.
Last edited by werty22 at Aug 1, 2008,
"Monkey to Man, Pt. 3: Darwin was right after all" is the format I'm going with. That way, if I ever make it big, radio stations can simply call the song "Darwin was right after all," but I still maintain the fact that the three songs are related, a mini concept album.

I don't think I'm going to have the songs run into each other the way "The Dance of Eternity" runs directly into "One Last Time," or "Breaking the Silence" runs directly into "I Don't Believe in Love."

After doing some thinking, I think parenthetical song titles apply to a song where the writer has a title in mind that isn't obvious, but puts the obvious line in parentheses so people can easily identify the song. An example would be Nine Days' "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)," which I know you all remember as much as you'd like to distance yourselves from 90s pop/rock (that song is actually good, though).
Quote by sue
"Breaking the Silence" runs directly into "I Don't Believe in Love."
My god I love that album

1A for me. All of them make sense though

Also, shouldn't this go in S&L somewhere?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Aug 1, 2008,