Page 1 of 2
For the last two months, I've drooled over, ebay-ed, craiglisted, forum surfed, HarmonyCentral-ed, search barred, and Guitar Center-ed until my eyes have bled in search of an amp.

Budget: ~$800 USD, maybe more in a month ($1100?)

Generals: ~30 watt tube (though I list some below that are well above that), Brit voiced, crunch, effects loop would be nice. Doesn't need a lot of built in effects. Cab or head is fine (I don't have a cab, so recommendations for that would be nice also [nothing bigger than a 2x12 though, just don't have room or a reason for something that big]). Cab can be considered outside of amp budget.

Tone(s) I'm looking for:

- The two tones from The Lemon Song - Led Zeppelin. Most of Jimmy's stuff sound cool. If you've seen the Led Zeppelin DVD, the first disc stuff has some awesome sound. Led Zeppelin in general (which I realize are a lot of different tones)

- A lot of Van Halen (of course, but in particular, the searing tone from the hook in Jamie's Cryin' when he brings it up an octave. It sounds like tubes might actually be on fire, which in Eddie's case, could be true).

Things I've considered so far:

- Originally considered ValveKing: seemed too muddy to me

- 5150/6505: sounds good, might be a little hi-gain for Zeppelin-esque sounds

- JCM 800: racked my brain the most over this, want to try, haven't. Expensive on ebay for a blind buy.

- Splawn Competition: probably perfect, 3 month wait, $1500. Customizable

- Ceriatone: Considered the 2204, but shipping is crazy high (considered just getting a working amp [no amp cabinet]). Also 18 and 36 TMB, but I don't know much about those. Plexi models also.

- Orange Rocker/Rockerverb. Haven't heard any samples, but also cosmetically pleasing. Once again, difficult to try out because hard to find. Expensive as well

So if anyone has any suggestions or comments on the above information, as well as completely different amps with similar qualities, it would be greatly appreciated.
vox ac30?
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Check out some Used Splawns and Laney's are a good choice as well... Cheaper check out the Peavey Ultra and Triple or JSX... Crunch mode has a nice Marshall tone to it. Peavey Classic 30 will work as well...
A Peavey Classic 30 would be ideal for what you described. (And it's well within the price range)
The perfect amp for your styles would be a 'late 60s spec 1959SLP. This is the amp for early Van Halen, bar none. Ceriatone should build this one. Their shipping is expensive, and it is just for the amp without a cabinet, but you can build a head cabinet for it fairly easily. Ceriatone probably makes amps with the highest quality/price of any brand. The late 60s plexi is also great for Zeppelin, not really for that early Royal Albert's Hall stuff from disk 1, but more for that "How the West was Won" tone which is also incredible.

But its also a 100 watt amp that would need a 4x12 cabinet and an attenuator. I'd go with the 36/18 from Ceriatone if I were you. The 18 watters sound like plexi's in a box, should do the styles just fine. Switch to the 36 watt setting for more clean headroom.
I would try looking for a Mesa Boogie Ace combo, on ebay. You can get a good deal, its 50 watts, 2 El-34's 5 12ax7's, 2 channels with 3 different setting for each channel, Boost or solo switch. Fan cooled. You can go wrong, If you want a good amp,Save!! get it right the first time. Go try some out at music stores.
Something plexi sounding would probably be perfect for Led Zeppelin. I bet one of those Hot Rodded Marshall amps (Orange, Splawn, Ceriatone clone, etc) would make you a very happy person.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Or if you want to get really fancy with the plexi gig...

Metropoulos, Germino, Reinhardt make the best. But you'd need to at least double your budget.

edit: With Led Zeppelin, Page only used the Orange for the Theremin (that space ship sound machine), but he did use Oranges when he played with the Black Crowes.
Quote by al112987
The perfect amp for your styles would be a 'late 60s spec 1959SLP. This is the amp for early Van Halen, bar none. Ceriatone should build this one. Their shipping is expensive, and it is just for the amp without a cabinet, but you can build a head cabinet for it fairly easily. Ceriatone probably makes amps with the highest quality/price of any brand. The late 60s plexi is also great for Zeppelin, not really for that early Royal Albert's Hall stuff from disk 1, but more for that "How the West was Won" tone which is also incredible.

But its also a 100 watt amp that would need a 4x12 cabinet and an attenuator. I'd go with the 36/18 from Ceriatone if I were you. The 18 watters sound like plexi's in a box, should do the styles just fine. Switch to the 36 watt setting for more clean headroom.

That looks like a really good idea, especially without the amp cabinet (i think that saves almost 15 kg in shipping).

And to acdcrocks0323, I know it...I would probably buy it outright today if I didn't have to wait forever...
i have a peavey classic 50... awesome... can handle any pedal u put on it... and the dirty channel is pretty nice too.. very versatile
peavey calssic 30 ? god are you guys dumb.

listen to ibanez get a lanet and add an od for evh sound
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Here are two amps that will do the gain, and fantastic cleans that are responsive to your guitar pickups and controls.

Traynor YCV50 Blue, and the Kustom Coupe 32.

However, a budget of $1100 REALLY opens things up.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by al112987
Or if you want to get really fancy with the plexi gig...

Metropoulos, Germino, Reinhardt make the best. But you'd need to at least double your budget.

edit: With Led Zeppelin, Page only used the Orange for the Theremin (that space ship sound machine), but he did use Oranges when he played with the Black Crowes.

You're quite possibly the most knowledgable newcomer ever

Just thought i'd announce that
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Peavey Classic 30, Marshall JCM or JMP Combo, or a Mesa DC-3 (the EL-84s make it have a nice british crunch with a bit of gain on either channels).
Marshall 30th anniversary 6100LM, has pentode/triode and 100/50/25 watt switch. Is quite high gain for a marshall aswell, sweet amp.
Traynor YCV50 Blue is looking promising. I haven't heard a lot of Traynor, though. Does this particular model have an effects loop?

I'm also leaning towards a the Ceriatone 36W TMB, though I'd have to get some sort of cab for it.

There seems to be divided opinions on the Peavey Classic 30. What are the pro/cons on that?
Quote by spl3001
Traynor YCV50 Blue is looking promising. I haven't heard a lot of Traynor, though. Does this particular model have an effects loop?

I'm also leaning towards a the Ceriatone 36W TMB, though I'd have to get some sort of cab for it.

There seems to be divided opinions on the Peavey Classic 30. What are the pro/cons on that?

The Blue is a great amp, check the Traynor website. But if you want something a little more versatile and with a bit more gain look at their YCS50 like I mentioned earlier.
Get a Vox AC15
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Hcmanu
peavey calssic 30 ? god are you guys dumb.

listen to ibanez get a lanet and add an od for evh sound

Please explain. The Classic 30 seems a pretty good contender given his requirements.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Maybe a VHT of some sort?
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
What's a VHT?

And I'm curious about the Peavey Classic 30 as well.

The Traynor YCS50 sounds really nice. Really thinking about that one.
Quote by Leper_Messiah_
Please explain. The Classic 30 seems a pretty good contender given his requirements.

Have you ever actually played the classic 30? Not enough gain for Van Halen even on 10 in my opinion, not too mention it would be too loud on 10 for most practical gigs.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
You're quite possibly the most knowledgable newcomer ever

Just thought i'd announce that

I'm just a college kid who really loves his hobby!

Quote by Chinomaster182
Have you ever actually played the classic 30? Not enough gain for Van Halen even on 10 in my opinion, not too mention it would be too loud on 10 for most practical gigs.

this
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
This is what i'm saving for.

http://www.fargenamps.com/ampminiplex.html

A bit pricey and may be to low in wattage for your needs. But very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_euZJYNlaY&feature=related
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I don't think I want the Peavey Classic 30 for the above reasons.

The Traynor YCS50 is looking really attractive. I like all the features it has (50 to 15 watt is nice). It seems to have a double return for the effects loop too, for each channel, which is pretty sweet.

I assume it could one day power a 4x12? And have the gain requirements for Van Halen? I also intend on purchasing a Tubescreamer once I get the amp.
Well, I meant it has the proper output for a 4x12 as opposed to the necessary power. I think it said it only had a 8 ohm out.
Quote by spl3001
Well, I meant it has the proper output for a 4x12 as opposed to the necessary power. I think it said it only had a 8 ohm out.

it's got the main speaker jack and an external speaker jack... it's switchable from 8ohm to 4ohm. Has enough gain for van halen. Enough for some good heavy sounds too such as Black Album tone.
Well, I just bought a Traynor YCS50 on Ebay, haha. I was about to make myself sick thinking about amps.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.
ttttt
rrrrr
aaa
yyyy
nnn
ooo
rrrrr

(traynor, in case you're retarded.)

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Marshall Vintage Modern Head, buy a cab separately.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

For the last two months, I've drooled over, ebay-ed, craiglisted, forum surfed, HarmonyCentral-ed, search barred, and Guitar Center-ed until my eyes have bled in search of an amp.

Lmao.... been there, I feel your pain.
Page 1 of 2