Anyone have experience with the Spider Valve tube amp? I am looking for a first tube amp and I have been recommended a Peavey Valveking but I was also wondering if anyone has experience with this amp?
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
I demo'ed one before and couldnt stand it.. Sounded just like a warmer spider III.. Not worth the money in my opnion. That said Valveking is a great amp but might not be what your looking for either...

Whats your budget and what genre of music do you play?
i have played it at my local GC and it has all of capabilities of a spider III as you might expect but has a much better tone. I have a SS spider III and i like it but am soon looking to upgrade to the line 6/ bogner amp as well. All in all i like my spider III and wouldnt hesitate to buy it in the tube variety
i used to have the head - incredibly versatile and can sound decent at low volumes.

sounds a little compressed and not entirely tube-like at high volumes and high presence settings bring out an awful artificial fizz so it's best to keep that below 12 o'clock.

however, if you play loads of different types of stuff and use effects and so on it's good value for money and sounds miles better than the solid state spiders.
I play some heavy stuff but it's mostly rock. My budget would be around $600.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
i have played it at my local GC and it has all of capabilities of a spider III as you might expect but has a much better tone. I have a SS spider III and i like it but am soon looking to upgrade to the line 6/ bogner amp as well. All in all i like my spider III and wouldnt hesitate to buy it in the tube variety

Did you honestly just compare line6 to Bogner?
Quote by al112987
Did you honestly just compare line6 to Bogner?

The Spider Valve is a collaberation between Line 6 and Bogner.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Its got a bogner power amp but by no means is it a bogner.... And he didnt touch the part the actual tone comes from which is why it still sounds like your run of the mill spider ran through a tube power amp... You could have gotten any used power amp and ran a spider III through it with the same results for a whole lot cheaper..
I've heard both the 212 and 112 versions and the 212 IMO is the far better amp. Much stronger tone probably just due to the 2 speakers in a larger cab. Other than that.. I didn't really like the 112, but the 212 had some potential.
So you think I should take the Valveking over the 112 but the 212 over the valveking?
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
honestly if you can afford the valve, you can do better than it and much better than the valveking. i dont suppose we could get a genre and budget?

though for the two, id take the spider. but thats just me liking the cleans better >_>
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/778657829.html Carvin for $300, worth a look.
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/766933316.html Randal 50 watt combo and cab, nice.
I agree that buying used is the way to go. There is an Avatar cab on the site as well.

Making a new "which amp" thread every couple of days is really only going to piss people off.

Edit: I got genre and budget from one of his other threads.
I play clean/distorted rock. And rarely some heavy stuff. My budget would be like $600.

Making a new "which amp" thread every couple of days is really only going to piss people off.

Yeah, I'm actually really sorry for that but I just need a decent answer, I swear this will be my last.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
Last edited by Assassin1680 at Aug 1, 2008,
why not a used C30 with a speaker and tube swap. thats what i did and i still ended up under $600. i know it may seem like a typical UG answer (im rarely here but i see it all the time) but it really fits the bill (it can do everything to some degree except heavy metal)
Keep your eyes open, you could find a Mesa F-30 for that price or near it on craigslist. That Randall I posted earlier is worth looking at. I have not tried the Randall but it gets good recs and is in budget so worth the trip. Since you don't need "metal" I would say look at the Crate V series, a used Classic 30, a used Traynor YCV... For more gain a used Mesa, used Peavey XXX, Ultra or 5150, 6505. But go try the amps we are recommending. Reviews and opinions are worth reading but it's your ears in the end...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Spider Valves are pretty nice and really versatile. But try one yourself and see how you like it.
try it first. a guy at my local shop whom i trust tried it next to a spider III and the III actually won out in his opinion. he said that the speakers evidentially started clipping out once you started getting near 5 on the volume knob where as the spider III stayed clear all the way to 10. try before buy definitely
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Assassin1680
So you think I should take the Valveking over the 112 but the 212 over the valveking?

Yes that sounds about right.
In my opinion the Valve King is extremely average. It's cheap but it's cheap for a reason. The Randall I was unimpressed by. The Spider Valve is good if you need versatility but some patches can sound rather digital in nature and it is very expensive for what it is. I'd go for either a Laney VC30 with a decent distortion pedal or go for a really good quality used DSL401 and give it a valve and speaker upgrade.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by gregs1020
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/778657829.html Carvin for $300, worth a look.
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/766933316.html Randal 50 watt combo and cab, nice.
I agree that buying used is the way to go. There is an Avatar cab on the site as well.

Edit: I got genre and budget from one of his other threads.

+1 to the Randall RG50TC combo.
Okay if you're already spending 600 on an amp and are considering valvekings and spider valves... don't. Spend an extra 50-100 and get a Traynor YCS50 (the newer line from Traynor). You will have all kinds of tones at your disposal and they will all sound good. Also, it sounds very good at low levels as well as amazing at high levels.
^That YCS50 seems like it will be a good amp, switchable from 50 watts Class A/B to 15 watt class A... I look forward to trying that amp.