So yeah, i'll be buying strap locks soon, and i had a few questions about them because i've never had a pair.

How exactly are they put on? I'm kinda confused about it. Also, Which would be the best ones to buy(Quality/Price-wise). I know a few people who use duct-tape instead of Strap locks, would that work better? I'm only sceptacul(spelling?) about doign that because i'm not sure if it will mess up the finish on the guitar, and lower the re-sell value.

Thanks if you can answer.
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp

Getting a better guitar amp after christmas.

save some cash and try the following.....

Buy Grolsch beer and use the rubber caps inside the bottle tops. Work's on my axe a treat!

My lead guitarist mentioned it and I thought he was winding me up until I seen his Strat set up with them.
hm.. i might try that lol.
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp

I'm not a fan of grolsch either but it does the thing. You can get drunk and save money!!

If you can find bottles with rubber washer things they work the same way.
look into some straplocks from Dunlop or Schaller. they're both good quality, easy to install. they screw into your guitar in the existing holes, and allow you to quickly remove your strap, which is handy for a case/gig bag.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
There was a post about this this morning, so I'm just going to copy+paste my reply

If you don't need to change straps regularly, go to Home Depot and buy 4 washers. It'll cost you a dollar.

I made a picture a few weeks ago

Gold is the strap button, black is the strap, silver are the washers. The washer sizes are slightly exaggerated, but you want one that is bigger than your strap button, but not by a whole lot. I was going to take pictures of mine when I posted this in an older thread, but I completely forgot.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
I have Zeppelinn strap locks..i like them because it takes 2 different things to get them off, so i am sure that they will never let me down
my strap locks didnt last long
they wore out the threading in the screw holes and they just came out... im stuck with duct tape again now.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
my strap locks didnt last long
they wore out the threading in the screw holes and they just came out... im stuck with duct tape again now.

Glue a wood dowel in the hole and you can put the screw back in.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by apollo66
There was a post about this this morning, so I'm just going to copy+paste my reply

If you don't need to change straps regularly, go to Home Depot and buy 4 washers. It'll cost you a dollar.

I made a picture a few weeks ago

Gold is the strap button, black is the strap, silver are the washers. The washer sizes are slightly exaggerated, but you want one that is bigger than your strap button, but not by a whole lot. I was going to take pictures of mine when I posted this in an older thread, but I completely forgot.

Hm, alrighty man. That's another idea too, lol. I have untill monday untill my bass gets here(Moving sucks ) So i'll probally run over to home depot, and try it. If you don't mind, could you take pics of it please?

Thanks for the help everyone else.
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp

Sure, I'll do it when I get home in a few hours, I'll measure it as well.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Alrighty, thanks alot man. Just Pm me them or something.
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp

Here's the picture of what I did on my LP, I took a picture from two different angles. I used a 3/4" diameter washer, and found one that the screw fit in.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
I like Schallers, usually, but for my SG I needed something different.

The Schallers poked me in the belly, and I was afraid I'd accidentally disengage the Dunlop Dual Design's because of where the button is located (would bounce right off my hipbone).

I found these (Ernie Ball's new Straplocks) and they're perfect.

Only thing was I had to trim the front screw some and shim the hole with toothpicks and woodglue. It's perfectly solid now, though.

So, I suggest either Schallers, Ernie Balls, or, if you're going cheap, the washer trick.
I used to have strap locks that you screwed in instead of the normal strap button things (technical I know), but like Peterfknparker they wore down the thread and ended up pulling out. My friend ahs some that are like a discs that you lock over your original strap buttons.
check out the 'Dunlop 7007SI Ergo Lok Strap System'.

They are also wwaaaayy cheaper and mean that you arent modding your guitar too much. If you want to sell it on you dont have to remover your strap locks and find the old buttons again.