OK, I know major scale + the notes on the fretboard.
Now, I understand that there are positions. (Five because and using the 5 positions not 6) From what I understood, to play from the "beginning" of the scale called the first position?
My question is, what excactly are the positions and what is their purpose, why can't I just start playing from any note I want in the scale. This is pretty confusing for me, so if someone explain this to me it'll be awseome.

Ive been working on the 5 positions of the G scale lately. Are there any websites that can show me the 5 positions for the A,B,C,D,E,F major scales?

Now if you check this G major scale out

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=G&scchnam=Major&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

Most websites Ive been on exclude the B sharp on the B string when learning the 5 positions, why is this? Its not just this note, but a few others as well.
Last edited by Jiro from GLAY at Aug 1, 2008,
1)Feel free to start on any note you want. The positions have become popular because they allow you to play without having to think consciously about each individual note and play with some degree of speed.

2)Well, of course the A major scale will just be the G major scale up a whole step(2 frets), etc. etc.
Quote by Jiro from GLAY

Now, I understand that there are positions. (Five because and using the 5 positions)

"Positions" are just different ways of accessing the notes of a scale anywhere on
the neck. Essentially the same notes, but one position might give you access to
a few higher or lower scale notes than another.

The positions are just arbitrary and could quite literaly be whatever scheme you
want. There's a "standard" 5 position scheme that is taught a lot. Basically
this was worked out to give the best fit for "1 finger, 1 fret". But, the 5 position
scheme is not the only one, just probably the most used.

Positions have really no musical significance. They are a way to organize the
fretboard and access notes of a scale -- on the guitar.