I just moved back to the US and I'm looking to buy a new amp. Right now my amp is a really crappy Fender I bought in China for about $60 . My guitar is an Epiphone Korina explorer and I use a Digitech RP250 effects pedal (though plan to stop using its amp modeling it if I can get an amp that sounds better on its own). Mostly I play classic rock (Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, etc) and hard rock + metal (Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, etc)

anyway back to the new amp I researched quite a lot and came accross the peavey amps. the valveking is a tube, which is great, however there will be some hassle in replacing broken/damaged tubes, etc, and it might not sound too nice if i plug in my effects pedal. the bandit isnt actually tube but if it has a great sound/tone I don't mind. Both are similar prices...

what i want to know is which one should I buy; the valveking or the bandit?
I'm happy with mine but there are those that don't care for it.

No hassle in replacing tubes.

An Overdrive pedal works great on this amp. I don't have a lot of experience with the Bandit. See my sig.

also, what is your total budget, do you gig with a drummer and can you go used?
I would buy the bandit if I was you. The valveking sounds dead and cold to me, and the bandit has an Effects loop so you can run your RP250 through it.
Go tube (but not necessarily Valveking). The hassle of changing tubes is negligable compared to the improvement of tone. Take care of your tubes, and you are looking at a 2 year and upward lifespan. And they aren't that expensive to replace.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by Pg.inc_music
I would buy the bandit if I was you. The valveking sounds dead and cold to me, and the bandit has an Effects loop so you can run your RP250 through it.

VK's have an FX loop aswell... but the distortion you get from the VK is way better than anything you will get on a distortion pedal.
If you are stuck on Peavey, get a used Classic 30 or Delta Blues. $300-350. More gain? Ultra, XXX, JSX. Other amps? Used Traynor YCV series or Crate V series new.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm happy with mine but there are those that don't care for it.

No hassle in replacing tubes.

An Overdrive pedal works great on this amp. I don't have a lot of experience with the Bandit. See my sig.

also, what is your total budget, do you gig with a drummer and can you go used?

I don't gig with a drummer yet as I just moved here. However I am planning on joining/starting a band at some point. my budget would be up to $500 or $550 at the most (it will take some convincing to go up to $600).
I might consider going used but I will get a new one as long as I can afford it. What do you suggest?
Quote by gregs1020
If you are stuck on Peavey, get a used Classic 30 or Delta Blues. $300-350. More gain? Ultra, XXX, JSX. Other amps? Used Traynor YCV series or Crate V series new.

I'll put some research into those. I don't think delta blues or classic 30 would be right for me. would you say they are well-rounded enough to cover everything from blues to classic rock to modern rock to metal?
Quote by alexanderm
I don't gig with a drummer yet as I just moved here. However I am planning on joining/starting a band at some point. my budget would be up to $500 or $550 at the most (it will take some convincing to go up to $600).
I might consider going used but I will get a new one as long as I can afford it. What do you suggest?

Why would you spend twice as much for something just so it is new? My Delta Blues lists at $640 and I paid $350. Craigslist ftw. Buying new only means you will lose money when you sell the amp. Buying used, that isn't usually an issue, but it's your money.
Edit: With the right od the Delta or Classic could do some metal. If metal is your main need I would look for a used Ultra or XXX or the like.
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
Go tube (but not necessarily Valveking). The hassle of changing tubes is negligable compared to the improvement of tone. Take care of your tubes, and you are looking at a 2 year and upward lifespan. And they aren't that expensive to replace.

hmm, I would agree on that one. do you know how expensive a VK's tubes would be to replace? also would the tubes make the amp quite fragile for transport (eg driving to a gig or a friends house)
thnks
Quote by gregs1020
Why would you spend twice as much for something just so it is new? My Delta Blues lists at $640 and I paid $350. Craigslist ftw. Buying new only means you will lose money when you sell the amp. Buying used, that isn't usually an issue, but it's your money.
Edit: With the right od the Delta or Classic could do some metal. If metal is your main need I would look for a used Ultra or XXX or the like.

yeah good point. again, i just moved so the only guitar shop i know is near me is guitar center, which is great, but im not sure if they will sell used. i'll check it out tmr when i go. i'm planning to buy an amp tmr.
Quote by alexanderm

Used 5150/6505 combo. That is all. Well, if you're looking for high gain anyway.

Quote by alexanderm
hmm, I would agree on that one. do you know how expensive a VK's tubes would be to replace? also would the tubes make the amp quite fragile for transport (eg driving to a gig or a friends house)
thnks

Tubes are nowhere near that fragile. Contrary to popular belief they can take it. As long as you're not driving like 70 mph on an unpaved road with the worse shock system ever you'll be fine. But make sure not to transport when the tubes are warm or they probably will break.
Alex, what major city are you near?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by alexanderm
thnks

Tubes are not expensive and they are not necessarily fragile to transport. Actually, some would say that a tube amp is more rugged because if something does break, it is a heck of lot easier to fix then with a Solid State amp.

PS. I'm not against the Bandit necessarily. Classic 30 might be pressed to do metallica but it is a great amp. There are clips on here of VK users that you can listen to to get idea, me included but I'm still pretty new at guitar playing. Find The Only Valveking Thread and work your way back.

also, one benefit of going new is you get a warrently but if you go used, that $550 will open up more options for you.

oh, and take a look at this, this is a tube amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8&feature=related
houston texas. pretty near downtown, about 15 min drive to nearest guitar center
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Tubes are not expensive and they are not necessarily fragile to transport. Actually, some would say that a tube amp is more rugged because if something does break, it is a heck of lot easier to fix then with a Solid State amp.

PS. I'm not against the Bandit necessarily. Classic 30 might be pressed to do metallica but it is a great amp. There are clips on here of VK users that you can listen to to get idea, me included but I'm still pretty new at guitar playing. Find The Only Valveking Thread and work your way back.

also, one benefit of going new is you get a warrently but if you go used, that $550 will open up more options for you.

oh, and take a look at this, this is a tube amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8&feature=related

lol nice
yea i've been playing for about 1 1/2 years.
my best bet is probably just testing them out myself and seeing which one i prefer in terms of tone, etc. now i know that tube amps aren't too fragile :P i will probably lean towards the valveking. however i'm still researching the other tube amps people have posted.
btw is it even possible to get a $1,000 amp down to $500? and does anyone know whether guitar center sells used amps? that 6505 looks pretty nice

Edit: im looking at the only valveking thread now
Last edited by alexanderm at Aug 1, 2008,
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/774360545.html He's a little high on that one, if he came down to $525 sure...
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/771311834.html That's a great amp, need a good od to do metal, but for the money, great amp.
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/740516348.html That would be worth a look too.

Of those I would grab that Ampeg and get a TS9 at GC...

Edit: If you are patient, just search craigslist daily and you can find virtually any amp. 5150's and 6505's are somewhat frequent there.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 1, 2008,
yeah, just go to GC and see what they have. Don't feel pressured into buying tomorrow tho. Take your guitar. Take good Notes. Go early in the morning if you can. Tell the Manager what you want to do and see if they will line some things up for you so you can move from one to the other quickly. That is what I did when I got to my short list.

Then you can always check Craigslist again and ask more questions here.

Sadistic_Sponge has some killer clips of a stock VK - let me know if you can't find him.
Quote by gregs1020
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/774360545.html He's a little high on that one, if he came down to $525 sure...
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/771311834.html That's a great amp, need a good od to do metal, but for the money, great amp.
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/740516348.html That would be worth a look too.

Of those I would grab that Ampeg and get a TS9 at GC...

Edit: If you are patient, just search craigslist daily and you can find virtually any amp. 5150's and 6505's are somewhat frequent there.

thnks for the links
will i be able to get a modern distortion out of those amps tho?
one drawback to this is that there's always a bit of a risk buying used and if it breaks you might not get your money back since you cant get an official warranty... in my situation it would be easier going to guitar center and buying something i know wont break down on me...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, just go to GC and see what they have. Don't feel pressured into buying tomorrow tho. Take your guitar. Take good Notes. Go early in the morning if you can. Tell the Manager what you want to do and see if they will line some things up for you so you can move from one to the other quickly. That is what I did when I got to my short list.

Then you can always check Craigslist again and ask more questions here.

Sadistic_Sponge has some killer clips of a stock VK - let me know if you can't find him.

yeah that sounds sensible
thanks for the help every1
My vote is for the VK it can handle those bands fine and all it might need to accomplish that is a speaker change but most find the stocker suitable for there needs.

Tubes are simple to replace and are pretty solid, i've seen tube amps that have been pretty abused and still sounded perfect.

Also your effects pedal will actually sound better on a tube amp, it will warm them up a bit.

Theres a few clips on my profile theres a few old stocker clips on there but all the new ones are of my VK and Ultra Ran in stereo. You can still get a feel for what a full blown VK can sound like from them though...

Also dont limit yourself to two amps.. Try them all and let your ears be the judge. And make sure you hit up the Used gear as well... You get alot more for your money..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
My vote is for the VK it can handle those bands fine and all it might need to accomplish that is a speaker change but most find the stocker suitable for there needs.

Tubes are simple to replace and are pretty solid, i've seen tube amps that have been pretty abused and still sounded perfect.

Also your effects pedal will actually sound better on a tube amp, it will warm them up a bit.

Theres a few clips on my profile theres a few old stocker clips on there but all the new ones are of my VK and Ultra Ran in stereo. You can still get a feel for what a full blown VK can sound like from them though...

Also dont limit yourself to two amps.. Try them all and let your ears be the judge. And make sure you hit up the Used gear as well... You get alot more for your money..

cool i'll check the clips out when i get my speakers installed >.<
thnks for the advice
what speakers should i replace them with? and how much will that cost?
Quote by alexanderm
cool i'll check the clips out when i get my speakers installed >.<
thnks for the advice
what speakers should i replace them with? and how much will that cost?

Most run Vintage 30's or Vintage 30 clones from Warehouse speakers. Real deal is about $110-130 the clones are $45-65..
you could replace it with a speaker from warehousespeakers.com. itll be 45 bucks.
id say get a OD pedal and an eq pedal first.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
how do i replace them? myself? or will somewhere like guitar center do it for me?

edit: btw if i am gonna get a valveking its gna be a 112. also ill use it 99% of the time for practicing in my room, and my parents wont allow me to play that loud. is it still worth changing the speakers?
Last edited by alexanderm at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by alexanderm
edit: btw if i am gonna get a valveking its gna be a 112. also ill use it 99% of the time for practicing in my room, and my parents wont allow me to play that loud. is it still worth changing the speakers?

is it still worth it even for low volumes?
ok cool. now its just a question of convincing my parents to spend 125$ extra >.<
Quote by alexanderm
ok cool. now its just a question of convincing my parents to spend 125$ extra >.<

Veteran 30 Warehouse Speaker on ebay... $45 bucks its a clone of the Vintage 30 and just as good..

Or http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=veteran30_12 $65 on there website if theres none on Ebay
go to the guitar center and put the 2 amps side by side and see the difference for yourself.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Veteran 30 Warehouse Speaker on ebay... $45 bucks its a clone of the Vintage 30 and just as good..

Or http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=veteran30_12 $65 on there website if theres none on Ebay

if they're just as good, i'll go for those instead
turns out im not going to gc today haha, which is kinda a good thing since i have more time to research
how are you getting there and how long can you stay?

are you taking your guitar?

have you checked that location's Used list? I believe you can do that. You can also call in advance and ask for a guitar or amp dude. You know....see what is in stock off your list before you get there yo...