i've heard that it does not mean that the higher the output of a pickup the better it is.

If so, why are there still players who stick by and insist on high output pickups.

what are the pros and cons of high output pickups and how do they compare to low output pickups?

thanks in advance
It depends on the type of music you play. I have used high and low output pickups, and I definitely prefer high output over low. It's all up to preference and style.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
it all depends on the style of music you play. If you are into metal and things such as that..you will be more inclined to high output pups ie: EMG, SD Blackout. If you play softer music you wont need as much output

edit: beaten to it
Last edited by Altoidwithmelon at Aug 1, 2008,
There are several options...

Ceramic magnet pickups - tend to be the highest output. Have very sharp highs, great lows, best for metal. Cleans can be fine, but will have to watch your amp gain to keep them clean.

Alnico magnet pickups (my choice) - not as high-output as above, but generally a warmer sound. Highs not as sharp, good lows, great mids. Think Slash tone here. These are great for blues/hard rock/metal. Also, a very nice clean tone.
In my experience with them, higher output pickups generally respond fast and tend to have a sharper attack. I find that since they are more powerful, picking dynamics influence the sound more as well.

Low-output pickups on the other hand are much more fluid and IMHO, they let more of the guitar's natural tone and dynamics through.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
pro: better (subjective, of course) distortion

con: worse (again, subjective) cleans and vintage tones

gross generalisation, but it's more or less correct.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
basically high output is for distortion and low output is better for cleans
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
i've read in a magazine that even with low output pickups, clarity can be maintained when there is a fair amount of gain, and still can supply all the sustain you need. eddie van halen favoured using low output pickups. after reading abt that, it seems low output pickups arent as bad till they suck at distortion, then why is it that high output pickups are still so much more popular than low?
Quote by T!AN
High output pickups tend not to do cleans as well as their lower output counterparts...

True, most dont, but I dunno emgs sound pretty good clean.
Quote by DudeLove
i've read in a magazine that even with low output pickups, clarity can be maintained when there is a fair amount of gain, and still can supply all the sustain you need. eddie van halen favoured using low output pickups. after reading abt that, it seems low output pickups arent as bad till they suck at distortion, then why is it that high output pickups are still so much more popular than low?

depends on the tone you're after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?