Sorry i'm not very familiar with mids, highs, that kinda stuff.

Firstly, what exactly does an equalizer pedal do?
I play a gibson les paul studio and i find the 498T pickup very nasal. i tried adjusting the pickup height and everything but still theres very minimal change. this 'nasal' sound, refers to mids right, if i'm not wrong.
will an equalizer help me customize my guitars sound?

secondly, recommend the most worth-the-money equalizer pedal.

Thanks alot.

btw i'm new to this forum and i have to say the people here are REALLY helpful.
They boost or lower certain frequencies. This can really help shape your tone. Also some come with a volume/gain boost. An EQ pedal would most definitely help you shape your sound. If you're on a budget try the Danelectro Fish n' Chips but if you've got the money spring for the MXR EQs.
Don't rule out the Boss GE-7; can really pack some punch in your tone.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by hamer exp jp
you have a gibson and know less about guitars then me i envy u

? Owning a high-end guitar doesn't mean you know a lot about guitar. I plan to get a Gibson with my compensation, yet I only know a certain amount of guitars out there.
its a les paul studio, its not really high end. and i would say its isnt such a fantastic guitar. there are definitely better ones out there. and right now i'm not really satisfied with the stock pickups so i'm looking to see what can be done. i wouldnt say i dont know much abt guitar i just have my doubts.
Last edited by DudeLove at Aug 1, 2008,
Your volume and tone pots on your guitar are all rolled up to 10?

Could you please describe what you mean by "nasally"? In a way, les pauls naturally sound nasally. But do you mean nasally like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anl-xbrvKqE

or like this? (around 1:17) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWeEnS0wsVo

If you mean nasally like the second video, thats just the way les pauls sound when you play high on the high strings.
damn the second video just got removed. anyway, my guitar sounds worst than the first video you showed me. that is still fine, mine sounds like theres some mid hump or something.
is it true that the 498T pickup was made with emphasized mids to give it a more modern sound?
thats why i'm wondering if an equalizer might help, rather than spending money to change the pickups
Quote by DudeLove
damn the second video just got removed. anyway, my guitar sounds worst than the first video you showed me. that is still fine, mine sounds like theres some mid hump or something.
is it true that the 498T pickup was made with emphasized mids to give it a more modern sound?
thats why i'm wondering if an equalizer might help, rather than spending money to change the pickups

Guitars are a midrange instrument so they are naturally going to have a "middy" tone to them. Try playing with the EQ on your amp before putting the money down for an EQ pedal.

With that said, a nice EQ pedal will only HELP your tone - it can't hurt it!
Quote by DudeLove

Should not be, I can access the second video just fine.

The 498 should not have a very modern tone, to me it was just a hotter vintage voiced pickup. Guitars in general are very mid range focused instruments, especially in the high mids, thus it is natural for them to sound nasally to some degree. I eventually changed mine out for a Duncan 59, but more because of the mud than voicing.

Some players actually really like nasally tone, Jimmy Page for example had this huge nasally honk of a tone live, especially when he puts those pickups out of phase.

To me it just sounds incredible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Wn79EB6cQ
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by al112987

Some players actually really like nasally tone, Jimmy Page for example had this huge nasally honk of a tone live, especially when he puts those pickups out of phase.

To me it just sounds incredible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Wn79EB6cQ

hahahha jimmy page is my favourite guitarist. that was the most awesome part of the song remains the same.

yeah maybe i should make do with that so called "problem".
but i'm still considering getting an equalizer pedal, what do u think?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Guitars are a midrange instrument so they are naturally going to have a "middy" tone to them. Try playing with the EQ on your amp before putting the money down for an EQ pedal.

With that said, a nice EQ pedal will only HELP your tone - it can't hurt it!

yeah i've already tweak my amp like crazy, i believe mid range was called presence on a marshall amp right? on my clean channel the mids are a 0.
hope i can cash in on a Boss EQ pedal

i know it would take a bunch of money for a company to make a Digi-EQ pedal. what i had in mind is, that with any custom made EQ settings for media players (such as Winamp) that you saved on your PC, you can transfer a copy of the custom EQ to the pedal using a USB cable. it should come with some pre-made settings such as Rock, Pop, Bass, Flat, Jazz, and so on, but with custom EQ-s, it can hold a maximum of 4 custom settings (undecided about maximum memory space). you can also create your own EQ settings on the pedal and save them in the memory.

this is some thought that crossed my mind one time, figure id post this and see what others would think
GEAR
Peavey 5150 (block lettered)
Mesa Boogie Traditional 4x12
Ibanez RG7620 w/ EMG 707s
Ibanez RG7321
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by DudeLove
Has anyone tried the artec 8 band graphic eq?

I was wondering the same thing. But the bands seem to work at different frequencies than most EQ pedals. Plus they only go -10/+10 db instead of -15/+15 on most pedals. They sure do look nice though, and are pretty cheap. If I don't find any reviews I'll probably go for the Danelectro though, even though it looks fugly as hell.
Quote by DudeLove
yeah i've already tweak my amp like crazy, i believe mid range was called presence on a marshall amp right? on my clean channel the mids are a 0.

no, presence is different from midrange. A TRUE presence controls negative feedback rather than boosting frequencies, so its not as simple as treble, midrange or bass. Tonally, turning up your presence gives you a more biting and sparkling top end, turning it down will give you a more mellow, rounder sound. Its not exactly like boosting your treble frequencies but rather it shapes your treble frequencies. If you have a Marshall tube amp, turning up your presence can also facilitate earlier break up. The controls of my amplifier are as follows, bass, middle, treble, presence, volume I, volume II, which is a pretty typical 4 band EQ. Some amplifiers do not utilize negative feedback, so for those, presence is effectively a second treble control.

Setting your mids to zero kind of simulates boosting of presence tonally as it places more emphasis on your treble frequencies, but detracts from the overall body of your sound. A clean tone will never be able to cut through a mix with scooped mids. What are your controls set to? and what amp do you have?
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 2, 2008,
cool.. i've learnt alot from this thread.

i use a 30 watt smarvo. the amps not mine so i'll be replacing it with a vox ad30vt next month. the smarvo's a decent amp, just that the drive channel sounds terrible. the knobs on the clean channel are: volume, treble, mids, bass, and reverb.
volume usually abt 9oclock, treble 1, mids rolled all the way down, and bass full, reverb full.

these setting sound the best from all my tweaking.
Quote by fearo
Plus they only go -10/+10 db instead of -15/+15 on most pedals. They sure do look nice though, and are pretty cheap. If I don't find any reviews I'll probably go for the Danelectro though, even though it looks fugly as hell.

will the extra 5db on other pedals make a significant difference? i'm on a pretty tight budget.
i feel sorry for being such a person because i ruled out the fish n chips because its downright awful looking.
I don't think so. It's rare to boost/lower as much as 10db, nevermind 15db.

At least that's what I find. Other people may use it differently.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
I don't think so. It's rare to boost/lower as much as 10db, nevermind 15db.

At least that's what I find. Other people may use it differently.

Not to get off topic but I was watching a review of the Metal Muff on EHX's website last night and it has a midrange sweep of +/- 15dbs (in other words you can boost the midrange frequencies by as much as 15dbs or you can cut them by as much as 15db) and I though that was a little bit extreme.

I really don't see anyone boosting any frequencies by 15dbs lol.
Quote by DudeLove
dude.. if you ever make a pedal like that or find one.. PM ME

well i dont construct guitar gear (be really cool if i did, could make it a living). i know digitech made a synth-wah, wish they can make a Digi-EQ. i know all the equipment that they have to have put in the pedal will cost a lot, but i think the overall price of the pedal could be about $130.00 (im not too exact about prices when it comes to pedals)
GEAR
Peavey 5150 (block lettered)
Mesa Boogie Traditional 4x12
Ibanez RG7620 w/ EMG 707s
Ibanez RG7321
Line 6 POD X3 Live
can anyone help me...I use nux mg-100 guitar effect and the equalizer in it sends high notes more than low notes and i don't know how to fix it...please help me
Please make your own thread, this one has been dead for a decade. Generally a good idea to not necro-bump.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.