Welllll.. so i keep some guitar parts around for quite some time.. and finally i decided to build a guitar... and not just any guitar... a 72' Telecaster Deluxe

so far i have;
a Schaller Fixed Bridge

a fender telecaster 5way switch

and 6 lefty tuners (Schaller)

i'm buying wood now (probably this weekend)

Neck (including fretboard) - ............MAPLE
Body - ..................................................... ALDER

i'm trying to use the same materials as fender does to produce 72 telecasters.. HOWEVER I DOUBT I WILL BE ABLE TO GET A PIECE OF ALDER -> check out this post to find out more link

any suggestions what kind of wood would suite my needs

Pickups ................................................. Fender Wide Range / P-90? /some kickass SD humbucker?

I haven't really decided on the pickups yet. i'm into some sorta rock/punk rock... and since a fender USA strat i need something to handle a little more OD and something with some more sustain than a single coil.... so i guess the Seymour Duncan pickups would do the job... (suggest which?)
any opinions about chosing the PU would be apriciated!

I guess that would be all for now... stay tuned
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Last edited by Serjem at Aug 2, 2008,
For all those who only care about the look of the guitar... here it is

that's about something i'm going for
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
When you said "with pics" I expected a complete unit not 5 components lol.
5 way switch: Not Needed for deluxe.
I play Bass and Guitar for Bitches. Bitches LOVE Bass and Guitar.

Quote by thellamaking
i think you need a 3 way switch dude.

i thought of this.... however if i used 2 humbuckers would it be able to use one of the fender's S1 Switching systems?

here's a pic from my 06 frontline

on the other hand... i came across with an idea .... to wire the 5way switch like this; (i'm not sure that's even possible ahhh what the hell )

p1: Nothing (some sorta killswitch or something - just to cut the signal away)
p2: Bridge Humbucker
p3: Both Humbuckers
p4: Neck Humbucker
p5: Nothing (same as above)
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Serjem
i
p1: Nothing (some sorta killswitch or something - just to cut the signal away)
p2: Bridge Humbucker
p3: Both Humbuckers
p4: Neck Humbucker
p5: Nothing (same as above)

That is not only possible, but also easy. As for the Fender switching you mentioned, I'd have to look into it.
very cool. imma be watching this. i love teles.

i have a squire version of this guitar, and a thought, instead of the 5 way cause it would look a bit off, since the deluxe uses the gibson style 3 way up by the strap button and has 4 knobs, keep the 3 way switch, but if you want those pickup positions, use the push/pull pots for coil tapping and series modes, and i even used the 4th knob for out of phase wiring.
Quote by cedricsmods
^ do what Chris said.

Yes sir i will!
the gibson style switch looks badass indeed... anyway.. they make only 3 way switches, right?
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
Why don't you think you'll be able to source any alder? It's not an uncommon wood.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
Why don't you think you'll be able to source any alder? It's not an uncommon wood.

a friend of mine told me that the company where i'm buying wood has no alder.... however i haven't checked if it's true yet, because they don't work on weekends... and yeah i think that was bull**** (what my friend was saying) it seemed wierd to me at first place... i think i will be able to get a piece of alder
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Serjem
a friend of mine told me that the company where i'm buying wood has no alder.... however i haven't checked if it's true yet, because they don't work on weekends... and yeah i think that was bull**** (what my friend was saying) it seemed wierd to me at first place... i think i will be able to get a piece of alder

If you don't mind me saying, surley even in a formerly communist country there is more than one company that supplies wood? I mean you seem to have gotten your mitts on everything else and yes that would be rather odd if they didn't have any alder.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
If you don't mind me saying, surley even in a formerly communist country there is more than one company that supplies wood? I mean you seem to have gotten your mitts on everything else and yes that would be rather odd if they didn't have any alder.

i don't mind ... i'm kinda proud of it anyway (formerly communist country)... huh... the answer is no... not if the country is like... half an square inch big
however there are locals who do woodwork... but their main suplier is the company i'm buying wood from
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
I'm excited to see this build. When I finally get around to making my own guitar it will be based off a '72 tele.

<off topic> Slovenia is small, but beautiful! Do you happen to know if Sever guitars are still being made there? They have the snazziest strat-based designs I've ever seen. </off topic>
Tell You What, If your going for a 72 deluxe with a 5 way, Take a look at a Jim Root Tele. He has a 5 way, and EMG's
I play Bass and Guitar for Bitches. Bitches LOVE Bass and Guitar.

Weren't the deluxes made of mahogany? I could be waaaay wrong. Also, If you go with the Fender Wide whatever humbuckers you'd have to open it up for a coil tap because I'm pretty sure that they're only made with 2 conductors. And p90 would have no coil tap ability at all since it is single coil. But you could always wire in a push/pull pot as a phase switch.
Quote by Jimmyboba
Tell You What, If your going for a 72 deluxe with a 5 way, Take a look at a Jim Root Tele. He has a 5 way, and EMG's

the JR tele has a 3 way switch.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.