Page 1 of 2
lolll about the title... I read it in the "Most annoying Questions a Non-guitar Player Asks a Guitar Player"

Anyway,

Do you think your guitar skills are good? By this question, I am actually asking a few things.

1. Are you personally happy with how you play, and how you are progressing?
2. Do you think you have experience in live gigs and being in bands, and feel like a real musician?
3. Would you consider yourself creative with writing music and songs?

I don't mean any of this to be bragging, just your personal opinion of yourself.

In my own opinion, I think I am quite good at the guitar.. I am not great at playing speedily, but I am definately getting alot better... The reason for this is because last night I was looking at some tabs for songs I couldnt even hit a note for when I looked at them a year ago and now they seem pretty achievable so I got a burst of confidence and inspiration to really get into it more.

Thanks guys/girls for posting.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
I'm a bit "ish" about it.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by dgme92
I'm a bit "ish" about it.

yea, me too. i'm decent, but not really good
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I started a month ago, and I can say I'm good =P I'm pretty comfortable with my rate of learning/practice as well, aside from liking my own playing. I'm at a point where if I mess up in front of people, I don't make excuses.
I consider myself "decent".I should be alot better than I am though taking everything into consideration.

Sometimes I impress myself,most of the time I think to myself "c'mon man that is suppose to easy what the hell is wrong with you,I know you can do better than that".

but it is fun none the less.And it matters just what you want to be,I' doubt I'll be a shredder like Satriani or Malmsteen but then again I don't try to be.
i don't think im all that great now, but i've cleaned up my sloppiness rapidly in the last month or so. I've also started learning legit theory, and i think im on my way to being good. i've been playing in shows and writing music, but i haven't been in an actual band and all; thats the one thing im looking for

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
i think for the style of music i play with my band ie: post-hardcore, im decent, but not progressing as fast as i could be, mostly due to lack of practicing i guess. i think im more talented as an artist than a guitarist
i suck

but really, I'm not too bad, I've seen worst for how long I've been playing.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Personally, no, I refuse to be happy with how I play because, although I've been playing for a year, I still can't memorize a solo. I know, I know, it takes time, but I just feel that until I can play fast enough to be able to sweep and such, I won't be all that pleased by my progress.

That aside, however, I was able to play properly whilst barely screwing up after only three months. Keep in mind, though, that I have played every single day since June 1st of 2007.

I've got zero experience at gigs, but I've played in front of people at my school before, and they seem to be impressed, so, that motivates me further.

Well, I've written a few...Interesting songs. People like hearing them, so I'm gonna keep writing them (So far, in our band, the drummer and I are the only songwriters, as far as I know). When it comes to music..I get some really great tunes, but unfortunately, it's not as often as I'd like it to be. Besides, when I compose my own, I write a riff, and then play something I already know. I figure "Hey, I'll come up with something that could connect with that later."
I come from the net. My format? Guardian. To mend and defend; to defend my new-found friends - their hopes and dreams; to defend them from their enemies.
WE are usually our own worst critics but consider this.Yes it is important to never be complacent yet in a band aspect it is who you play with that makes and band good or not ,not just the players individual ability.

Chemistry goes a long way to making a good band besides being a shredder or awesome player.

And playing live in a bar situation the sad fact is a good portion of the crowd won't hear a mistake unless it is a extreme one because they aren't technical about it most people just want to loosin' up and jam and dance after working all week and a good portion of people aren't really paying attention to you anyway they are busy talking to a bud,getting drunk and trying to get laid.
I'm pretty bad... I've been playing for a year, but I barely have time to practice. I try to get in three 45-minute sessions a week. Can play a few songs all the way through. A couple of easy solos, that's about it...
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
I have only ever played once live... my guitar teacher held a concert at the local bowls club for all his students... the feeling you get when you come off the stage is just unexplainable.

Quote by Våd Hamster

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by LK_revival
Chemistry goes a long way to making a good band besides being a shredder or awesome player.

Couldn't be more true. Chemistry with both your band mates and the audience members goes a long way.

I play in my dads blues/classic rock band from time to time. We've never rehearsed. He gives out song lists to learn and we learn them on our own separately show up for the gigs and play them. Most of the time they sound quite a bit different from the original. Every gig is a new experience, half the time he'll throw songs at us that we've never heard or played before and we just kind of have to keep up.

Despite all this, we've got great chemistry with each other and the audience, so instead of the songs coming out sounding a mess, they just come out more powerful. We always draw the largest crowds in the places we play and get the best response.

Anyway, am I a good guitarist? That's up to the people who hear me play. If they're enjoying themselves then I supposed the answer is yes. But for me, I'm never good enough, and there's always more to learn. That's the atitude that I've gotta take, and it keeps thing's new and exciting and gives me a reason to pick up the guitar and play for hours every day.

Am I creative? Maybe, again that's up to the people that hear the songs I write
I consider myself decent, ive played in front of people a few times with my broken up band. =(

I really need to improve my ryhtym, strumming, timing and general right hand technique, I can solo with blues pentatonic shizz for years, just im not a very good ryhtym player which im really trying to find a way to improve on.
no.
i'm horrible.
i've played for about a year, been serious for about a month.
and i can't play anything other than fourth drink instinct by CIWWAF. I'm gonna start trying to get in 2-3 hours a day.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
I've been playing for a year come October 22nd and I don't really consider myself good. I am however very pleased at how I'm progressing, I can see a clear difference in my speed, accuracy etc. It doesn't really bother me how well I can play, as long as I can see that I'm improving, I'm happy.
I think im decent at best. Ive been playing for almost a year now and I have still yet to learn much about the guitar really, just a few chords that I taught myself, my parents kept telling me "We will find someone to teach you". Guess what? They still havent. So in the meantime ive just been learning songs by looking up tabs on here. I guess I noticed that ive made a good amount of progress though. When I first started playing I thought, wow I will never be able to play any of those solos or anything that looks like that.

I guess im getting better though, I can play most of yyz - rush now, I just need to get the solo and the part after the intro down.
Happy but improvement is needed as always.

2. Do you think you have experience in live gigs and being in bands, and feel like a real musician?
I used to play in a band so I think so.

Not bad
Meh. I'm ok. Most of what I play is Thrash and Metalcore/Melodeath. I've been at the same skill level with that, I never get better at it. But If I were to play any generic classic rock song in front of people I could pull it off pretty well.
I'm not too satisfied for either of those 3.

1) Whilst I do regard myself as a fairly good player, there is a lot of things I want to improve upon.

2) I have played over 12 gigs, but don't feel like a musician. I'll feel like a musician if I make it big time or as a session.

3) Nah, I'm not very creative.
As far as my playing goes,everyone I knwo thinks I'm great,and my guitar playing dad says im progressing well,so I'm happy,but can still improve a bunch.

I had one gig,and my fingers froze up for the first minute and i played bad,but recovered well,but still no I dont.

If I had a band,I'm sure I could work out a few riffs,I do it on my own very well.
meh
1. Are you personally happy with how you play, and how you are progressing? Absolutely not. I need to get some kind of program going to get myself on track.
2. Do you think you have experience in live gigs and being in bands, and feel like a real musician? I'm in a real band and we're going to record soon. However the other guitarist blows me completely out of the water.
3. Would you consider yourself creative with writing music and songs? I'm pretty creative but the thing is I can never play in one specific genre, like my music can't be classified... the stuff I write on my own.

EDIT: Check out the vid in my sig. That's a pretty easy song to me but for some reason it didn't come out well.

A: Im slightly happy, still working on it, trying to get a Joe Perry thing going.

A: I think I do, but I havent done anything huge. Planning on it though.

A: I get inspiration from all music, so pretty creative.
1. No, I think Im awful, but its human nature to be over-critical of oneself. When I think about how long Ive been playing (not long), I can actually remember being utter baws at the start, so I suppose im making good progress.

2. nah, no gig/live experience at all. Id crap it playing in a guitar shop never mind at a gig.

3. Very creative, but id be hopeless at writing songs, fact.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
I personally think I'm good. I've been playing for 2 years, and im completely self-taught. I memerize some songs, but I'd much rather write my own. I have written alot of songs, and I always plan to use them once i get in another band. Same for solos, It is impossible for me to learn a solo note for note. I always like to add my own thing to it, and thats why I improvise most of the time. At my school, im known as the guitar player who shreds and loves metal, which i am. I have all kinds of people tell me all the time im good. I know how to do alot of things with a guitar, the next thing i am doing is learning how to sweep pick. I started a month ago, and i can already play the chorus of Best and The Harlot perfectly.
I'm happy with the way I'm going. I should be practicing more dilligently and figuring out songs more....

I have experience in bands that last about a week.
And I don't know what I should call myself yet; a keyboardist or a guitarist.
Keyboard is in higher demand and that's what gave me the epic finger strength to play guitar, but guitar is so much more fun.

Not in the slightest.
Except when I get done listening to primus and start writing guitar parts.
I don't even shred
Not as good as I'd like to be, but better than I wouldn't want to be.

I love what I write. I like how I improv. I can play pretty good techincally. Not extremely fast, but for what I play, good.
I've never played a show though. that's being worked on.

I'd say my proudest achievement is writing though.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
1) I'm not happy with my skills, there are some songs that would love to master but I can't.

2) I gig a lot with my band now, especially in the summer, and the gigs are normally good, so I do have experience as a musician.

3) I would say I can write good metal/shred songs, but other than that I'm rubbish.
hmm... great... self-evaluations... i always hated these... umm, I'm ok, i guess. I'm very good for how long I've been playing. about 4-5 months and I can already cover a lot of songs. about 25 to a maximum... but I love how I'm progressing... I hate to sound flattering to this site, but if it wasn't for tabs, i don't think i'd be able to cover even one song... and for my own creativeness, I think that i'm only branching off different riffs and adding my own... but I'm trying to change it enough that it sounds nothing like where i branched it from. to the point where its all my riff. if i had so perform live with a band, I don't think i'd be able to refuse... I love pressure of a crowd sometimes, it just tells my brain to work its best and it works, i play even better under pressure than i do without it...
I can play chords along with most song, play riffs, write decent songs, I love to perform on stage and I've played quite a few shows and counting.

I cannot solo for the life of me. like atall, I know one scale and I can make somthing that sounds like a solo, it's not wowing anyone, it pisses me off. I don't know how to improve it, I'm fast but idk
Well here's an issue. With myself being obsessed with all things metal, there are really no limits to technical skill in that genre. However obtaining speed is completely different than obtaining good musicianship. Some people have both and they've worked their asses off for it. I feel in terms of a metal guitarist i'm good but still intermediate.
Yes and no...while I haven't been playing that long I think I've made a good amount of progress especially that I'm self-taught. I think it helped that I have background in other instruments before I picked up a guitar though. I find that the more I play, the harder it is for me to see as much progress. I'd like to get better, maybe even take some lessons.

Not at all...I've never been in a band or played live. I think I'm still in that "I'm terrified of having people hear me play" phase but I'm trying to get past that. I would absolutely love to be in a band and I hope that once I get an electric I'll be able to tell whether that can be a reality or not.

I consider myself to be creative in general, and I've always loved writing but recently realized that writing songs is much more difficult than just writing. I've been pushing myself to just get some ideas out and see what happens. I'm hoping to have a couple solid songs soon that are bearable to listen to.
I would say I'm decent but I don't think I'm especially good. Some days I'll be really pumped and think "hey, I'm not doing too bad", because I've just learned a new song, improved in technique, or written something cool. Other days I'll think I'm terrible. So I guess it just depends on when I'm asked.

As for gigging...I've never played in front of a crowd. Closest thing would be trying out guitars at Guitar Center. I'd really like to be in a band though, and I think I'd like playing for a crowd.

Creativity...I think I'm creative. I've never written a whole song though. Just a few riffs. I'd like to have someone to jam with and bounce ideas off of.
Im pretty good for 13 thirteen year old my epic shred soloz are not malmsteen and satch pwnage but you can definitely hear their influence

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Considering that guitar is just a hobby for me, I'm pretty pleased with how I am progressing. If I were planning to make a living out of this, there are a few things I would need to do to make better use of my time, but that isn't a concern.

I don't really think you need to gig to be a "real musician" as long as your creating music and enjoying I think that counts as being a musician.

My creativity is admitedly pretty limited, but I think a lot of it has to do with my terrible memory. I can create riffs, but then I forget them pretty shortly after. If I recording equipment or someone to jam with that shared my interest in music I could probably start coming up with some nifty stuff.

Pretty much, I'm a bedroom rocker and I know it.
I spent like 1 or 2 years without touching a guitar so I'm pretty rusty right now. But in my old days I was pretty good. Not really good but pretty good. I'm very satisfied with my progress now.
I guess im alright, i stopped playing for a long time because i just wasnt interested, but ive been getting better alot lately, so i guess im getting there.

i really need to learn theory though =/ (i cant even read music, but im one of those people who can listen to a song and figure it out most of the time so, im happy with that).
I've played a few performances, and ive gotten many applauses/cheers for my playing, BUT i personally dont like the way I play, ive been playing for like 6-7 years, but in and out, and i get angry when i solo, cause i fail hard a lot, it takes time for me to learn soloing, because im not fast and i've fractured my wrist a couple of times before, and that caused my fingers to act all weird so that affects me. But if people say they like it, then i could be total crap, but if im getting the cheers im looking for, then its all good.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Yeah I have only played one show by the way guys... but the feeling you get when you come off stage is just unexplainable.

Quote by Våd Hamster

Page 1 of 2