FYI: this is related to guitar, but the overall question is about guitar center so I figured it could go in the pit.

Ok, so 2 months ago I bought a $100 tweed hardshell case for my guitar from GC. It's falling apart. The spots where it clicks together to close the case are falling off! This is ridiculous! When it's closed and i pick it up, I can feel the top half shaking. I'd rather use my crappy free fender gigbag.
So anyways, I need a new case. I went to guitar center and told them that I bought it 2 months ago and need a new one because mine was crap, and he said it was past a month so I couldn't return it, i could only buy a new one. I said screw that and left.

So my idea is to bring my guitar inside of the almost broken case into GC to use it to 'test out an amp'. When I go in they will open the case and search it and write down everything inside for when I leave. Then, I will switch the crappy case with a brand new one, pull the tags off, and switch my guitar into it. THen when I leave, they will check the case and make sure the guitar I have matches the one I had when I came in. Will this work? I'm pretty sure they won't notice a different case as long as it looks the same (both tweed).

Am I wrong? Do they check the case's serial number or something?
And yes, I know I'm a jerk, but so is GC for selling me a crap case and not letting me get a new one.
selling faulty equipment is bad too. Trust me, my conscience died a long time ago. I just want to make sure I wont get caught.
or you can put a guitar of them in it and say, i wanna try it out over there in the corner, and then the guitar falls out and its broken en you are like: hahahaha you deserved it
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
They won't let you in the door. It would be easier and make much more sense to test the amp with the guitars there, so your story doesn't work.
Quote by Dionietzsche
They won't let you in the door. You could just as easily test the amp with the guitars there, so your story doesn't work.

No dude. I see guys bring their own guitars in all the time. They have employees at the door specifically to write down any gear you bring in so you can't be like "I totally brought this guitar in" when you're leaving.
You can trade it in for a similar one you know...
They wont give you money, but you have 2 years warranty, so they have to trade it (unless you shat on it and broke it, in that case, ahah *points*)
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Last edited by Popsai at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by bbcstw
No dude. I see guys bring their own guitars in all the time. They have employees at the door specifically to write down any gear you bring in so you can't be like "I totally brought this guitar in" when you're leaving.

In that case I don't see why not, you'd have to be sneaky as a hobbit though.
Quote by Popsai
You can trade it in for a similar one you know...

That's what I originally wanted to do but the douche employee said it was past the 1 month garuntee so I had to buy a brand new one.

And I just checked my case and there's no serial code or anything like that on it. They couldn't prove anything. I think I'll go for it.
Quote by bbcstw
That's what I originally wanted to do but the douche employee said it was past the 1 month garuntee so I had to buy a brand new one.

And I just checked my case and there's no serial code or anything like that on it. They couldn't prove anything. I think I'll go for it.

No, 1 month is to return it, at least here you have 2 years warranty.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

What if they notice that the parts that click together are no longer falling off and it feels sturdier that the case you brought in earlier?
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
do it and tell us pitmonkeys how it went. also, if you go to jail, at least you got a guitar case.

hey, that's a great t-shirt!

"i went to jail and all i got was this orange jumpsuit, 'cause they took the case back..."

Quote by bbcstw

I'd go for it, sounds like they deserve to give you another case.

I would try to make sure they don't notice anything messed up on it though so you have no prob leavin with the new one. I'm sure they have already thought of people that might try this.
problem is are the cases kept near the amps you trying out,best thing 2 do is say you got £150 or suttin 2 burn and your thinking bout getting an amp and then just wander about after using the amp,buy something small near the cases and walk out,the small purchase should divert suspision away from you...what sorta thief buys thingd....
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
Quote by lookie here
What if they notice that the parts that click together are no longer falling off and it feels sturdier that the case you brought in earlier?

I don't think they inspect cases that closely. There mostly afraid of someone walking in with a squier strat and leaving with an american fender strat.
What's the worst that could happen really,they take the new case and give you back your old one and tell you to leave and never come back,which i'm assuming you don't want to do anyway because their service was crap
They won't call the fuzz like
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93
Walk out naked with a sock around your dick. He'll be so surprised he won't shoot you. Then rape him. Hard. With melted butter as lube.

Join the Xbox Live group
good luck man, I hope you pull it off. I've found that there's a lot of asshat workers at GC, but for every 5 asshats, you get one great employee which whenever I go to GC I go to him....he usually can work something out. If you know of any guy like that, see if he, she, or he/she can help you out
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Quote by centorium
problem is are the cases kept near the amps you trying out,best thing 2 do is say you got £150 or suttin 2 burn and your thinking bout getting an amp and then just wander about after using the amp,buy something small near the cases and walk out,the small purchase should divert suspision away from you...what sorta thief buys thingd....

Yeah, actually that's a really good idea. I'll buy some really small stuff they'd expect peopole to steal like picks and strings.
Try buying another tweed case, and then bring the old case in a couple days later saying that it is broken and you want your money back?
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Well I've decided to go for it, but you all can keep posting if you like. Anyways I'll bookmark this thread and let you all know how it went. I expect to do it sometime next week.
Quote by lookie here
Try buying another tweed case, and then bring the old case in a couple days later saying that it is broken and you want your money back?

Do this ^ it's much less risky and it will work. Just make sure you avoid the first guy you talked too.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Originally Posted by centorium

Yeah, actually that's a really good idea. I'll buy some really small stuff they'd expect peopole to steal like picks and strings.

wow serously...i neva had a GOOD idea b4,my last idea involved dolpins and donkey punching..nuff said?

anyway as an added touch put a sticker or suttin on your case just b4 u go in shop(so its fresh and can peel easy) and then swap it over,that will really throw em
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
Quote by bbcstw
Well I've decided to go for it, but you all can keep posting if you like. Anyways I'll bookmark this thread and let you all know how it went. I expect to do it sometime next week.

Unless you get shot or arrested
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Walk in with a shotgun wearing a balaclava you can get way more than a tweed guitar case that way.

haha

but no.

that would never work. nobody's scared of shotguns anymore.

now, lowspeed chainsaws on the other hand...

Posting in epic thread.

Tell us how it went. And I like the stickers idea. Get two of the same somewhere, and put on right the corner of it, then once you get the other case, put the other on the exactly corner. They really can't deny anything unless they REALLY look at it. I highly doubt they're going to be paying attention to the case anyway.

Good luck, bro
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Has anyone considered that they will probably see all this on CCTV?
Quote by shav0r

I hope to god threadstarter doesn't see this post
I think you should choose the strawberry ice cream.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by GiantRaven
I hope to god threadstarter doesn't see this post

So do I, to be honest but he's been fairly warned now and my conscience is asleep again.
Quote by shav0r

You mean video cameras in GC? Doubt it. Besides once I make the actual switch I'll be out of there in 30 seconds. And I like the sticker idea a lot.
Quote by JMTrio134
Haha go for the buy a new one, return the old one plan.

You'll never pull the original idea off.
Easy to get out, but not easy to actually make the switch.

I'm hesitant to give them more money... I could just imagine them saying "we can only give you store credit" or some crap, and I don't want to buy anything else from GC again, and then I'd be stuck with two cases. I'd rather try the switch. Worst come to worst with that, I get caught and leave with my crap case. (I highly HIGHLY doubt they would bother calling cops for something like that)
...how did this case fall apart, ar eyou sure you just havent been wreckless with it? im not accusing you or anything but i just wanna know both sides.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by hyroglyph!c
...how did this case fall apart, ar eyou sure you just havent been wreckless with it? im not accusing you or anything but i just wanna know both sides.

Oh ya, that's understandable. No, the case itself is in fine condition with no scratches or marks. It's the bolts/latches or whatever they're called. They are coming unbolted and getting shaky and loose. I honestly think that it's going to come unscrewed one day when I'm walking and my guitar will faceplant into the pavement.
you should bring in your case with some sort of firearm in it, and when they check it be all like 'wut?' and then they won't bother you for anything.
Yeah so... How'd it go?
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
hehe I can see it now,

TS: "Hey guys sorry its taken so long for me to reply but I went to jail for a week and spent about 2 hours going 300m home because I was bumraped so many times I could hardly walk."

I oppose your idea but I can understand you are angry at them. There has to be a better way to solve this.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.