Page 1 of 6
Well, ive convinced my fionce to take up bass and shes new to the electronics side of instruments and ****. Im helping her but since i play guitar im not exactly the go-to guy for this. ive narrowed it down for her to several different basses in similar price range. Its more than likely the 2 short scale basses that we will have to choose from.
Since I play metal thats what she will be learning mostly among other things, maybe a bit of orchestra since she plays violin. I also need to get her an amp, nothing big, 10 to 20 is enough for her

Here are the choices (dont know how to post pics)

Bass:
1. Ibanez GRRM20 Mikro Short Scale - $169.99
2. ESP AX 32" Short Scale - $249.00
3. Rogue SX100 Series II - $99.99
4. Dean Z Metalman - $199.90

Amp:
1. Peavey MAX126 Combo (10 Watts, 1x6) - $69.95
2. Ibanez IBZ10B Combo (10 Watts, 1x6) - $74.95

What do you think of these?
if you have any suggestions feel free to let me know

NOTE: Dont recomend Gibson of Fender Products, i wont consider them
Dont flame me cuz you think gibson and fender are the sh*t
dont call me stupid or dumb for not having the same opinion as you
Thanks
My suggestion ? Have her read the FAQ at the top of the page; there's a tonne of good feedback there on starter basses and amps of good quality. And what's with the Fender angst anyway? Just curious.
I have an Ibanez and its great, and I haven't played either of those amps but Peavey is more highly spoken of than Ibanez.

And not all music played by violin is "orchestra".
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I recently bought a 200W Acoustic(this is the brand) bass amp and was extremely pleased with the sound. you may want to check out the smaller versions Acoustic has to offer.
Here's a good test for when you know you're ready for marriage.

Can you spell fiancee without looking it up.

Unlucky man, getting married at 16 - OUCH! Gotta hurt. Did she like threaten to castrate you till you asked her?

NOTE: Dont flame me cuz I think getting married at 16 is stupid.
dont call me stupid when you tell me "but im in love"
Thanks

Anyway... The squier starter pack should be considered.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Here's a good test for when you know you're ready for marriage.

Can you spell fiancee without looking it up.

Unlucky man, getting married at 16 - OUCH! Gotta hurt. Did she like threaten to castrate you till you asked her?

NOTE: Dont flame me cuz I think getting married at 16 is stupid.
dont call me stupid when you tell me "but im in love"
Thanks

Anyway... The squier starter pack should be considered.

I believe he asked for help buying a bass
I did help him, read the bottom line

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
1)Do not get short scale. It is generally considered detrimental to tone, and for no real playability advantage. Plenty of tiny people like anarkee manage fine on full scale basses.

2)We would never recommend Gobson around here, there basses do not have a great reputation. However, there is a reason that Fender is the most popular brand of bass in the world. They are damn good at what they do. Let your fiancee try everything in the price range then make a choice. Don't avoid a bass just because it is of a popular brand. It is most likely popular because it is very good.

Just try everything. The FAQ has some 'approved' started basses.

3)As far as amps go, it is again a matter of trying them out. However, until you have around 150W, playing against a drummer will be very tough if she ever decides to play with other people. Bass needs far more power than guitar.

However, for private practise, the FAQ also has a good list of cheap amps.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
1. Read the FAQ.
2. Rogue is **** and the Dean is just a gimmick.
3. Get her a teacher.
4. Think about a Fender, if you love your fiancee so much then you could respect if she likes it even if you hate it.
5. Those little amps are pretty bad. Get a small Fender or one of the newer Acoustics, they seem to be pretty decent.
6. Squier VM series is epic. Epic as grilled cheese with bacon.
Why won't you consider Fender? Fender accounts for the vast majority of bass guitars, and some of the Squier range is pretty solid for the price. I'm not saying "GET A FENDER!", just curious as to why you'd so specifically rule it out.

Oh, and from my personal experiences, short scale bass' aren't that great, and this is coming from someone who has the hands of a 13 year old. No, really.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Look at the Squire Vintage Modified Precision/Jazz Bass. Both are them are extremely good for you money. Oh, and you said Fender not Squire. As for an amp I would go with the Peavey.
Here's another suggestion. Have your fiancée get a UG account and we'll help her pick her equipment out.

I am always suspicious when someone tries to foist short scale basses on people based solely on their sex or size. Sorry, its just a personality quirk I have.
A dictionary would be better, then you would learn how to spell fiancé right. Get a warwick...
i think you're stupid for ruling fender out when you clearly know bugger all about bass

i know this because you wouldn't be here asking if you knew anything, you'd be reading the FAQ that several of us regulars spent weeks putting together to stop threads like this creeping in.

that is all
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
1. fender and gibson suck to me AND her, so there
2. i consider myself lucky to have a good woman like my brittany at 16
3. thanks gm jack for the shorscale info
4. i understand violin is more than orchestra but thats what she played in school
5. she can use my bands bas amp if she wants more power or moer likely get her own
6. bass is moer powerful than guitar from my experiance, it dont have to be more watts, but less and still be louder

and id rather have my own thread

she cant try out alot of basses and amps because she isnt aloud to go about with
me or go out much at all anyway
she trusts me to get the info for her so she didnt make a ug profile
im not saying anything about sex or race with the short scale query
shes an inch shorter than me and am sure she could handle a baritone bass if she wanted to but she herself stated a short scale might be better

despite my knowledge of bass, i know fender blows, not cuz they are name brand
but simply because they ****in suck, they, F U C K I N, S U C K!
so fender lovers please shut the **** up
AND I WILL SPELL FIONCE ANY GOD DAMN WAY I WANT
don't rant. it makes you look like a brat. please.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
and despite what you think i know about bass, i can play it, im teaching her
knowing about bass and how to play are completely different
dont ask i dont have one

and please, no fender, gibson, Or squier, as its crappy(er if thays possible) fender

buy the gsr200 and a fender rumble 15, take off the logo if it hurts you oh so much.

edit: dean in profile pic. lols.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by Deth is iminent
4. i understand violin is more than orchestra but thats what she played in school
5. she can use my bands bas amp if she wants more power or moer likely get her own
6. bass is moer powerful than guitar from my experiance, it dont have to be more watts, but less and still be louder

she cant try out alot of basses and amps because she isnt aloud to go about with
shes an inch shorter than me and am sure she could handle a baritone bass if she wanted to but she herself stated a short scale might be better

Yeah, it shows you are sixteen. Very well, I'm off to buy some Absinthe and some tamales. Toodles.
"don't rant. it makes you look like a brat. please."

dont say things about my age, and post things i asked not to
thats all i ask, to answer my question, despite the faq, and to not push fender and friends on me nor ask why its not an option
I'm not a huge Fender fan, but it is pretty stupid to say they suck. They are on the of the highest regarded companies in the world and for good reason. They certainly don't blow, and if you think that they blow because you think they suck, you really need some growing up to do. If I were her, I wouldn't trust you to go and get info about basses if you make those assumptions, ESPECIALLY after you've said you don't know much about basses at all as it is.

Short scales have horrible tone. Absolutely horrible. Unless they're a piccolo bass. Which I sincerely doubt your missus will be getting anyway. If she can handle a full scale (not baritone. A baritone bass is something completely different) bass, then she should get a full scale bass- size plays very little part in this- it's more about technique.

As has been said, check the FAQ. We didn't spend weeks compiling it for nothing. It's there to help. And if she isn't allowed to go out much, use one of the times she is out to quickly sneak away to an instrument store. You should never buy something without trying it IMO.

"don't rant. it makes you look like a brat. please."

dont say things about my age, and post things i asked not to
thats all i ask, to answer my question, despite the faq, and to not push fender and friends on me nor ask why its not an option

Is it too hard to go to the FAQ and get the answer yourself?
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Aug 1, 2008,
wow, I'm not helping you. F'in hothead.
I know that these guys on the forum can be thickheaded sometimes but you're acting even more stubborn than them.
Have your GIRLFRIEND (you're 16) try some of the basses out before you shun them.
Trust the bassists, we need more watts to cut through the mix.
You know what? Screw you, Fender makes good basses. Have you even tried them?

Delirium, by this time you should know: It's pretty much everyone's opinion on this forum to try something out before they buy it. I know you don't want to assume this (and that's fine) but it is true.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Last edited by KKING911 at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by watchingmefall
Yeah, it shows you are sixteen. Very well, I'm off to buy some Absinthe and some tamales. Toodles.

im very short tempered as you've noticed
if you dont want to answer my question dont
but please dont question my opinions
how many times will i have to ask
every single thread i make turns into a "why do you hate fender" thread
and id like this one to not be
it would be much appreciated
He probably doesn't like Fender or Gibson cause they're big corps who have sold out.

Probably like Dean who piss all over Dimebag's name, whoring it out for all that is worth. There's even a Dime bass. Srsly. That's selling out.

I don't see why he doesn't like Fender. Fender is used so much in metal. Fender Jazz basses have a great, growl to them that really suits metal players.

Most metal bass players use basses that variate from Fender basses.

Most "metal" basses like ESPs, Deans etc have jazz pickups or p bass pickups.

You can get Fender's in black yunno.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Deth is iminent

1>Gibson, yes. Fender, no. Fender does not suck in any way.
2> I agree with Indie
3>ok
4>ok
5>If I were her I'd rather not have to rely on someone else's stuff.
6> You're wrong.
7> Spell allowed right
8>You can't change rules in language.
9> How do you plan on getting married if she can't go places with you.
10> Maybe she likes other stuff than you do.
11> See #1

Basedit:
Quote by Deth is iminent
im very short tempered as you've noticed
if you dont want to answer my question dont
but please dont question my opinions
how many times will i have to ask
and id like this one to not be
it would be much appreciated

Maybe you should explain why you dislike Fender so much. Also, lrn2English.
Last edited by hippiebass at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by Deth is iminent

guess you shouldn't actively attack it.

the faq answers ever question you've asked, and every question your planning to ask.

the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by KKING911
wow, I'm not helping you. F'in hothead.
I know that these guys on the forum can be thickheaded sometimes but you're acting even more stubborn than them.
Have your GIRLFRIEND (you're 16) try some of the basses out before you shun them.
Trust the bassists, we need more watts to cut through the mix.
You know what? Screw you, Fender makes good basses. Have you even tried them?

Im working on getting to the music store with my FIONCE (thats what you call the person your ENGAGED to) but it will be a while so i was hoping someone would give me answers without the bull**** this time

and no it doesnt, i have a band with a bass player in it, i would know, i have ears to
and yes ive played fender guitars and basses
i dont like the feel, tone, or look and neither does my FUTURE WIFE thank you
despite the name fender is ****
oh well. I guess they don't like Fender.

don't get mad, but I gotta ask- what's life like at your home?

is it chaotic?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by hippiebass
1>Gibson, yes. Fender, no. Fender does not suck in any way.
2> I agree with Indie
3>ok
4>ok
5>If I were her I'd rather not have to rely on someone else's stuff.
6> You're wrong.
7> Spell allowed right
8>You can't change rules in language.
9> How do you plan on getting married if she can't go places with you.
10> Maybe she likes other stuff than you do.
11> See #1

8. then i spell **** wrong, condemn me for a grammatical mistake if you must
9. her parents are tightasses, all 4 of them
10. youd think my fionce would tell me what she likes wouldnt you?
Quote by Deth is iminent
FIONCE (thats what you call the person your ENGAGED to)

It is spelt FIANCÉE, fiancé if you're marrying a man

Quote by Deth is iminent
9. her parents are tightasses, all 4 of them

She has 4 parents?! Woah, that must have been one crazy night when she was concived.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Deth is iminent
Im working on getting to the music store with my FIONCE (thats what you call the person your ENGAGED to) but it will be a while so i was hoping someone would give me answers without the bull**** this time

and no it doesnt, i have a band with a bass player in it, i would know, i have ears to

I feel like talking to her instead of you, she might actually take the advice and input of the people SHE WAS ASKING IN THE FIRST PLACE!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
jonno, you don't have to be a ****head too. neither do any of these guys. Raul, go suck a big tamale.

answer my question, and I'll give you a more detailed answer with further options. ok?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Jonnomainman
It is spelt FIANCÉE, fiancé if you're marrying a man

She has 4 parents?! Woah, that must have been one crazy night when she was concived.

well my future "wife" might explain the sex my partner, if not, mentioning that HER name is brittany would clarify

and no you stupid asshole
her parents divorced and got remarried, 1 mom, 1 dad, 1 step-mom, and 1 step-dad
does that help dumbass
you're an idiot

and because i'm feeling nice here's why

Quote by Deth is iminent

1) every bass in existance is a variation of a fender
2) it's your mess, you gotta clean it up
3) no one needs a short scale bass
4) violin has no bearing on bass guitar except maybe she realises it doesn't all happen in a day it takes time to learn
5) fair enough
6) you are so wrong it's not even funny, bass needs roughly 3 times the wattage of guitar to happily cut through the mix

we'd all rather have our own threads

you're engaged to a girl you're not allowed to stand next to?

despite your lack of knowledge of bass fender doesn't blow because fender invented the electric bass and still make the best selling, best sounding and best playing basses on the planet, you hear a bass on an album and i can almost guarantee leo fender invented that bass. stuff doesn't suck because it just does, it only sucks when there is a valid reason for it to suck such as dean's poor build quality, low end ibanez' lack luster tone ESP LTD hit or miss build quality and rogue's poor everything.

you will spell fiancee how the oxford english dictionary spells it or you're a fucking moron

on a side note your attitude will get you nowhere here, have some respect for the more knowledgeable users on this board and you might actually get some help
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by the humanity
jonno, you don't have to be a ****head too. neither do any of these guys. Raul, go suck a big tamale.

answer my question, and I'll give you a more detailed answer with further options. ok?

your question about how life is at home?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Spelling mistake, actually.

SSSHHHHH!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by Deth is iminent

You spelled Fiancee wrong again. (How do you type is so there's an accent on top of it?)
You're ignorant. You realize that choosing a bass isn't about looks right? Also, tone is about 90% amp and 10% bass. Fender isn't shit no matter how much you hate them. Also, you asked for opinions so you're going to get different opinions than yours.

Bass:
1. Ibanez GRRM20 Mikro Short Scale - $169.99
2. ESP AX 32" Short Scale - $249.00
3. Rogue SX100 Series II - $99.99
4. Dean Z Metalman - $199.90

Amp:
1. Peavey MAX126 Combo (10 Watts, 1x6) - $69.95
2. Ibanez IBZ10B Combo (10 Watts, 1x6) - $74.95

Basses:
1> Good quality, bad tone.
2> Mediocre
3> Very low quality