so now im here... stuck with the idea of building my own "custom" guitar. Well Here we go. Well no. not yet... first i want to ask a few questions. and it's based on a Flying V witha little twist!

if you have a Gibson Flying V what are the Knobs is it 2 Vol and 1 tone or one volume and 2 tones?

if you were a metalhead like me what pickups would you get for this project?

I got a book for it so i dun need messure ments

I got this all down on my saved list on Steward MacDonald:
Strapbuttons
Economy Tuners (6 in a Line)
Pickguard Screws (But no Pickguard, If you could get me a Website where i could buy a Flying V Style Pickgaurd, do it)
Mono Jack with Strat Style Cover
Gotoh Strat Style Tremolo
Precut Rose Wood Fretboard(With a Purchase of a Black Dye for the 'board)
2' of Fretwire
Black Color Pigment

If there is anything else i need that you know i need or ( like Flying V Style Wiring) or other things i should buy instead of whatever. Put the link on your response PLEASE!!! I need/Trive on LINKS!!! i'll get the Model Of the body in the Top, Bottom, Bottom Side Etc. ASAP!!1 thanks

If the person, that i might be getting wood from, turns out that he don't have Dry wood... I'll go with a Strat Style Guitar... i'll keep you guys on that!!
Gear:
Squire Hot Rails Stratocaster
Dean MXL (for Sale)
Marshall DFX 100 Amp
Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal
Vox Wah
Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
Last edited by Multiplayerjon at Aug 1, 2008,
its 2 volumes and 1 tone. Or you can have it 1 volume and 2 tones.
But the stock Gibson flying V's are 2 vol 1 tone,
If you need a wiring diagram:
This site has hundreds of diagrams:
http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/category/.wiringresources/

And heres the one you'll be looking for:
http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUHH3T2101

^ 2 humbuckers, 2 volumes (1 for each pickup) 1 tone, 3 way switch.

And for the pickups, if your going to buy stuff from stew mac and your feeling creative, they have pickup kits. Or if you don't feel like winding a piece of wire around a pickup a couple of thousand times, Dimarzio or EMGs would be a good pickup for metal.

http://www.emginc.com/ this site tells you all about EMGs and were you can buy them (if you scroll down to the bottom left and corner)

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/ this is the site for learning about dimarzio pickups.

Also seymour duncan make all types of pickups. The even make exact gibson replica/ copy pickups if you want your flying V to be original: http://www.seymourduncan.com/

Have fun!
Also for the pickguard:
http://pickguards.us/priceflying.html
or
http://www.pickguards.com/GibsonExp_V_FB_Bass.htm

Also if you have a paypal account try ebay. It will save you heaps of money, trust me!

Hey man, if the guy you are buying the wood from doesn't have dry wood. Look somewhere else. Don't not build your dream guitar because some guy doesn't have one type of wood.
Once again try ebay, stew mac may even sell it, if you google search it im sure you will find something.

Have fun!
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Aug 1, 2008,
I'd get some EMG 85's modded to 18 Volts. The 85 will balance out the small trebley body with some good bass producing a neutral sound, but be as METAL OUT YOUR ASS as possible with usable cleans.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
I'd get some EMG 85's modded to 18 Volts. The 85 will balance out the small trebley body with some good bass producing a neutral sound, but be as METAL OUT YOUR ASS as possible with usable cleans.

+1

Also, consider an ebony fingerboard.
okay yeah... so EMGs the way to go... i mean like Alexi Laiho does use Seymour Duncan Blackouts you know... but whatever... i have a site for EMGs.

Ebony, well, Ebony is expensive! And my dad Doesn't want me to build a neck anyway... sucks to have dads when you wanna build! so he says he'll get me a strat complete neck but could i Dye over the frets? but then that would take the Inlays away not fair. anyways, thanks for the Pickgaurd links! i am gonna do the 2v, 1t way. my dad says to get a Kit... so do you guys know anykits i could get for the 2v and 1t??? please!

I do know what im doing! i just don't have the money yet.

oh do you know how i could take out the jack hole on the top of the guitar (on the pickguard?) cause i want a Strat like Jack on the bottom Wing! oh nevermind i'll use the '58 pickguard and dispose of the jack plate!

okay well thanks guys!
Gear:
Dean MXL (for Sale)
Marshall DFX 100 Amp
Vox Wah
Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
Quote by Multiplayerjon
okay yeah... so EMGs the way to go... i mean like Alexi Laiho does use Seymour Duncan Blackouts you know... but whatever... i have a site for EMGs.

Ebony, well, Ebony is expensive! And my dad Doesn't want me to build a neck anyway... sucks to have dads when you wanna build! so he says he'll get me a strat complete neck but could i Dye over the frets? but then that would take the Inlays away not fair. anyways, thanks for the Pickgaurd links! i am gonna do the 2v, 1t way. my dad says to get a Kit... so do you guys know anykits i could get for the 2v and 1t??? please!

I do know what im doing! i just don't have the money yet.

oh do you know how i could take out the jack hole on the top of the guitar (on the pickguard?) cause i want a Strat like Jack on the bottom Wing! oh nevermind i'll use the '58 pickguard and dispose of the jack plate!

okay well thanks guys!

Hey, if you buy a warmoth neck you can get an ebony fingerboard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
how much you planning on spending?
If you are thinking of using a kit to look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Unfinished-Flying-V-Kit-Free-Shipping_W0QQitemZ310072229361QQihZ021QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

EDIT: I have the same problem with my dad too. But im going to see if he'll let me build a mini electric bass when im finshed my 2 guitar kit projects now (not really a kit. Just a whole heap of parts bought off ebay)

Good Luck
does Warmoth Really? i have never checked Warmoth out...

And no im not building a Flying V... it's like a rhoads fliped over, longer wing on the bottom but a lot less top wing you see??

I guess i'll start drawing for you guys
Gear:
Dean MXL (for Sale)
Marshall DFX 100 Amp
Vox Wah
Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
Quote by Multiplayerjon
rhoads longer wing on the bottom but a lot less top wing

Thats the guitar i have been wanting to get since i got my Rhoads! I have always thought it would look cool, and really weird.
Quote by cfhwarhead
Thats the guitar i have been wanting to get since i got my Rhoads! I have always thought it would look cool, and really weird.

the flipped rhoads... ...Nah, I'm kidding, this will look quite cool.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
okay here we go... heres what I am now doing... Sorry... i change my mind all the time

From Stewmac.com:

i'll Get the Picture in today
    Gear:
    Dean MXL (for Sale)
    Marshall DFX 100 Amp
    Vox Wah
    Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
    Here's the Head (These Pictures May Not look like this, This is a PLAN)
    http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee226/OMFGJON/DeadWingLightHead.jpg[/IMG

And The Body (These Pictures May Not look like this, This is a PLAN)
    http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee226/OMFGJON/DEadWingLight.jpg

These i just drew. Remember that the things placed in the image may not be in the exact place. also note i don't have the neck preview cause it's quite simple.

Be sure to correct me if you think therre is something wrong or something would be needed
    Gear:
    Dean MXL (for Sale)
    Marshall DFX 100 Amp
    Vox Wah
    Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
    Sorry But i can't pay for the Flyod Rose Trem System... That will be replaced for a Strat-trem thanks for the support
    Gear:
    Dean MXL (for Sale)
    Marshall DFX 100 Amp
    Vox Wah
    Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
    Neck Mounting Plate
    ThroughBody Neck (Ebony, 24 frets

If you're having a neck-through blank, why are you ordering a neck mounting plate (for a bolt-on neck)?

Also, I'd advise against the EMG Select pickup - they're a bit naff.
    The Order Costs $537.73... It's looks good cause i got $1200+ And if i sell my Old Dean which would be $200 so i would have $1400+ to spend and when i am done i would have at least $800

Works out well
    Gear:
    Dean MXL (for Sale)
    Marshall DFX 100 Amp
    Vox Wah
    Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
    Quote by -MintSauce-
    If you're having a neck-through blank, why are you ordering a neck mounting plate (for a bolt-on neck)?

Also, I'd advise against the EMG Select pickup - they're a bit naff.

lol i didn't notice that xD

I reason y i am buying the Selects is the budget... i need to watch it... i might invest in blackouts when i am finished... this IS my first guitar building experience ever
    Gear:
    Dean MXL (for Sale)
    Marshall DFX 100 Amp
    Vox Wah
    Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
    Quote by Multiplayerjon
    okay here we go... heres what I am now doing... Sorry... i change my mind all the time

From Stewmac.com:

i'll Get the Picture in today

first of all, stewmac is a ripoff for the floyd rose (it's 165 on warmoth for the same exact bridge in chrome), second, get some better tuners then those. again, warmoth has a set of gotohs for 25 and change.
      third, Carvin has cheaper neck through necks and body blanks
      fourth, you don't need a neck mounting plate.
      fifth, get a real EMG or EMG HZ instead of a select. even better, get a D-activator by dimarzio.
      Current Gear:
      Audient iD22 interface
      Adam S3A monitors
      Quote by Anonden
      You missed a few things: Strap buttons, wire, screws (pickup, control plate etc), nut, knobs, and glue

If you are going for a strat type trem, then you'll need some decent tuners. Those economy ones won't satisfy you... And if you have so much money leftover then why cheap out on the pickups?
      so perty much your telling me to go to Warmoth? I'll check it out... when the rest of my internet acess returnes which is at 3:00
      Gear:
      Dean MXL (for Sale)
      Marshall DFX 100 Amp
      Vox Wah
      Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
      Quote by supergerbil
      You missed a few things: Strap buttons, wire, screws (pickup, control plate etc), nut, knobs, and glue

If you are going for a strat type trem, then you'll need some decent tuners. Those economy ones won't satisfy you... And if you have so much money leftover then why cheap out on the pickups?

I got all those thank you... yeah i think i'll go with the floyd rose at warmoth... just a lot cheaper than STEWMAC.com
      Gear:
      Dean MXL (for Sale)
      Marshall DFX 100 Amp
      Vox Wah
      Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
      allright i ordered monday(sorry if i didn't tell you) ffrom both sites

so i ordered a Unfinished prerouted Soloist body, and Full shred by Seymor duncan from warmoth

and from stew- neck parts for strat-like neck, i think my dad ordered it, cavity covers, and mounting plate for neck and wilikson trem, no floyd, not a good idea to buy for a first buiild

and everything else i boiught at my local shop
      Gear:
      Dean MXL (for Sale)
      Marshall DFX 100 Amp
      Vox Wah
      Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!