Ive been searching for a good bass tone for quite a while and i dont know what works. I
dont quite have normal tastes in tone as i like a clickin' treblly tone. I need a tone that can be clearly heard over 2 heavey metal guitarists. Right now I have my setting is
bass:-5 mid:+5 Trebble:+10.
I set this eq on my amp and the same on my bass(it has active eq) .I was wondering what settings do bassists like Steve harris(maiden) and david ellefson(megadeth) use? Ive realy been trying to get thier tone for quite some time.
Quote by corrda00
Ive been searching for a good bass tone for quite a while and i dont know what works. I
dont quite have normal tastes in tone as i like a clickin' treblly tone. I need a tone that can be clearly heard over 2 heavey metal guitarists. Right now I have my setting is
bass:-5 mid:+5 Trebble:+10.
I set this eq on my amp and the same on my bass(it has active eq) .I was wondering what settings do bassists like Steve harris(maiden) and david ellefson(megadeth) use? Ive realy been trying to get thier tone for quite some time.

Seeing as Harris used flats I'm guessing that you're not going to sound anything like him by extensively cutting bass and boosting treble.
There's a section on tone in the FAQ, have a look there

EDIT: I know what you're trying to get at though when you boost highs because you need to be clearly heard over two heavy metallers, but remember, if they're playing screechy distorted riffs and stuff then boosting highs is not gonna get you heard, you need to be contrasting the guitars. I suggest bass +2/ mids +4/ treble flat or just below/above. Try this out, hope I helped.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Aug 1, 2008,
steve harris' tone is all in his monsterously strong finger, flat wounds strings and low action. that is his signature click
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Mine is Bass+7, Mid+5, Treble +3 FYI. It's amazing! With the tone on my jazz at 10 and the fretboard pickup slightly higher than the bridge pickup. I drool everytime I play it.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
wats with all this steve harris stuff? dont any of you care bout David ellefson??? Oh well. I already use low action and pluck super hard. now all i need is flat wound strings. I know what your getting at ive seen steve play before.
What bass is it and what amp is it? I suggest you set the EQ flat on both and gradually tweak it until you find a sound that works for you.
I dnt know about steve or dave but i find cutting the bass by 2 and increasing the mids +4 and the treble+2 and picking nearer the bridge gives quite a good tone for that sort of music because it cuts through and doesn't overpower the guitars when playing low notes. A little overdrive might help also.
I can get an almost Steve Harris tone on my J-bass after looking at a picture of his amp in the Killers sleevenotes and copying his settings. It was Treble- Max - Bass -2 - Mids +2. With a low action it sounds close enough to Steve's tone, but obviously to get his exact tone you need the SH77 flats and a P-bass.
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"