Page 1 of 2
Hey dudes, first of all, I just want to ask if riding bike is good for getting in shape? I've been running almost every day all summer and I'm getting really sick of it. I decided to ride a bike around our lake, 6 miles.

I really like it so I was wondering if anyone bikes and could recommend me a decent bike? The one I rode had those thin tires, I'm guessing thats what I'm wanting right?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
where do you want to ride? roads? gravel? forests? want to do long tours covering ~100miles per day and camping in between?
Buy a hybrid bicycle
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I've go a bike, you can ride it if you like...
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by Harmonius
Buy a hybrid bicycle

and combine the worst of mountain bikes and the worst of road bikes into one
Quote by seljer
and combine the worst of mountain bikes and the worst of road bikes into one

Very funny
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I'd suggest just a standard 21-gear mountain bike, you don't want a thinned tyred bike as their primarily for racing, or a lot further distance then 6 miles. I use a Vulcan carrera Mountain bike to keep fit and it works a charm. Since you need to ask which Bike you need, it won't make that much difference to you anyway. Just head down to a local store and check a few things out.

EDIT

Quote by thedudemeister
I've go a bike, you can ride it if you like...

Pipers at the gates FTW
Last edited by dandadog at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by tr3nt
Hey dudes, first of all, I just want to ask if riding bike is good for getting in shape? I've been running almost every day all summer and I'm getting really sick of it. I decided to ride a bike around our lake, 6 miles.

I really like it so I was wondering if anyone bikes and could recommend me a decent bike? The one I rode had those thin tires, I'm guessing thats what I'm wanting right?

schwin or specialized are good mountain bikes
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by seljer
where do you want to ride? roads? gravel? forests? want to do long tours covering ~100miles per day and camping in between?

Smooth roads, I want to do bike races with my friends. My friends did RAGBRAI this year, a race across Iowa or something. No camping, but if I'm using it to get in shape I'll probably go around our lake 3-4 times 18-24 mi a day.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by dandadog
I'd suggest just a standard 21-gear mountain bike, you don't want a thinned tyred bike as their primarily for racing, or a lot further distance then 6 miles. I use a Vulcan carrera Mountain bike to keep fit and it works a charm. Since you need to ask whicn Bike you need, it won't make that much difference to you anyway. Just head down to a local store and check a few things out.

Carrera Vulcan. I used to build them,very good for the price.
Budget?

Main suggestions budget regardless are;
Specialized Hardrock/Rockhopper dependant on Budget.
Highest priced Giant XTC you can afford.
Or a Trek hardtail.
They'll see you right.
Is there a bike dealing site like eastbay is for shoes?

Quote by tr3nt
Smooth roads, I want to do bike races with my friends. My friends did RAGBRAI this year, a race across Iowa or something. No camping, but if I'm using it to get in shape I'll probably go around our lake 3-4 times 18-24 mi a day.

in that case I'd just skip all the mountain bike stuff and hybrids too and go for a road bike of some sort

and as far as bicycles go: local bike shop ftw if you have a good one
We don't

Quote by tr3nt
so I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a decent gay partner?

nah sorry man, wrong forum i guess
Quote by jackeleven

Its just not funny sometimes.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
I heard on the news that it lowers you sperm count when you ride a bike.......don't know where it says that.....i don't think its true though
Quote by Hakanku
I once went in to a public restroom and George Michael approached me for sex. True Story.
Quote by Blitzraptor007
I heard on the news that it lowers you sperm count when you ride a bike.......don't know where it says that.....i don't think its true though

thats if you've got a bad seat

edit: so does wearing tight pants. thats right you emo kids
Quote by Blitzraptor007

I wouldn't mind that too much, it's just bollock lock that annoys me about biking. You know when both of them go to the same side of the seat and your leg goes down to pedal....indescribable pain.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Quote by jackeleven

You would say something like that

Road bike wise, buy a fixie.
Fixed rear wheels are awesome. A little bit tricky to learn at first, but the added benefit of using your legs to physically slow down helps to build up your leg muscles faster. They're a shade cheaper too.
Giant, Specialized and Trek are still the main manufacturers I would recommend.
But where possible, try before you buy and remember that contact points can be changed at little, or sometimes no extra cost. So don't let a bad saddle or grips put you off.
How much should I pay for a decent bike?

Quote by tr3nt

$600ish and up

though you can get pretty good deals on used stuff/last years models/etc...

and fixed gear + hills = death :S
Quote by tr3nt

I'ld say atleast $400 for a single fixed gear one.
If you want gears, atleast $500-$600.
Another good thing to do is to look for sales in stores. Sometimes you can get really good deals n get like 20-40% discount of like a new but older model, like an 07 model bike... There's virtually no difference between an 08 model n a 07 model. Just bits of styling, few components n colors. So keep an eye out for the new old models in clearance sales at bike shops... You could bag a pretty decent bike for as low as $400...
http://www.bikeradar.com/
Try that, though the site isn't as good as it used to be. (RIP MBUK Forum)

Seljer hit the nail on the head there. Last years kit 90% of the time is just as good as this years and you can get massive discounts just for being a year "Out of date"
Well worth waiting until September / October when the new ranges come out.
Quote by Oli_88
Try that, though the site isn't as good as it used to be. (RIP MBUK Forum)

i forgot that one, nice work
Quote by jackeleven

Reported for trolling.
Nothing constructive to say. Gtfo.
Ta.
Quote by jackeleven

Do you have an issue with these people? If you're gonna do that atleast do something remotely original or amusing to it.
Quote by Karvid

He expected this.

I'm really digging the bike I've been riding, it's from the 70's it's a schwinn I THINK it's called world tour. it was red but it has faded to whiteish pink. The gear system is a lever you pull to change gears, I think it only has two. Works but the seat hurts my ass.

My budget is smallll... I called my bro up and he said I could get a great bike from the earlier year model for 4-500

Quote by tr3nt
Hey dudes, first of all, I just want to ask if riding bike is good for getting in shape?

No, It's not.
Studies have shown* that riding a bike to get in shape is more detrimental to your health then smoking a pack of cigarettes a day in between injecting yourself with heroin and running around inside an old abandoned coal mine

*If you don't believe me, you can counsult my sources by sending self-adressed, stamped letter to someone who has that information.
alright...lemme address as much as i can here.

yes, i recommend a road bike for fitness. mountain is only good for fitness if you plan on going to places where rocks and 5-foot drops are more of a danger than crashing at 20 mph hybrids are only good for getting to work and the grocery store. and they're so booooring.

when getting a bike, THE most important thing is fit. brand, components, materials mean almost nothing if the bike doesn't fit right. a bike that fits you well will make you want to ride. a bike that fits it's fast, easy to pedal, comfortable, easy to mount and dismount, amongst many other things. get fit at a good bike shop, they should do it for free (well, at least they should be able to tell you what size to look out for). as far as vintage road bikes (with horizontal top tubes), a good starting point is a bike that gives you at least an inch of clearance between the manly (or womanly) goods when standing over the top tube, and no more than 2 inches. harder to tell on newer bikes...

which brings me to another point...consider vintage (i.e. about pre 1994)! in my opinion, in terms of frame materials, steel conquers all. it rides very smooth, is immensely durable and--if you get a good bike--is almost as light as any aluminum frame you would consider in that price range. also, if you buy vintage, it will cost MUCH less for a bike that's easily better than most made today. a $400 vintage steel bike decked out in Shimano 600 (next to top of the line back then, is today's amazing Ultegra group) is head and heels better over a $400 bike today with Shimano Sora/Tiagra. heck, i don't even know if you can get a road bike for $400 with Shimano Sora, and that stuff's shit. also, if you ask me, vintage road bikes are beautiful, elegant machines and many of today's bikes, especially for less than $1000, are daft looking with more decals and stickers than real craftsmanship. you could even spend $200, depending on where you live, and get an amazing vintage bike with little or absolutely no work involved in restoring it (which is fun anyways). again...fit is paramount!

basically, i hesitate to "recommend a good brand," because i would like to dissuade you from getting a new bike...even those from "good" brands like Specialized, Bianchi (my favorite ), Giant, Trek (the McDonalds of bikes), or Fuji (who made DAMN good vintage bikes, and bikes that aren't anything special now). there ARE amazing new bikes, but they won't be within a reasonable price range. if you insist, avoid new Schwinn like your life depended on it. again, made amazing vintage bikes way back when, but now make almost nothing good.

if you haven't seriously ridden a bike in years, i don't recommend fixed gear. it's possible, but not particularly practical for the beginner. it's not very forgiving, and the (relatively) steep learning curve may turn you off to biking unnecessarily, and we don't want that

as for lowering your sperm count...it's not that so much as it is compressing a vessel under your balls that makes it more challenging to get 'im up. get a saddle with a cutout (e.g. Specialized Toupe, Brooks Imperial, etc), and a good amount of flex, problem pretty much solved. be wary of "gel saddles," that means close to nothing in terms of real comfort.

btw, i made a thread not too long about bikes...check it out, there's pictures of lots of nice bikes in there (including mine ):
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918752&page=1&pp=20&highlight=bicycles
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
Last edited by phobos at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by jmonko
I call shenanigans

Hey Farva, what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy shit on the wall and the mozzarella sticks?
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
Page 1 of 2