You're wrong
7 30%
You're right (I'm American)
3 13%
You're wrong (I'm American)
2 9%
Voters: 23.
Yes the poll is entirely useless, it's just there for the joke

This was a bloggy thing, so take away the general points not necessarily the Britain specific examples.

I hate this idea that has pervaded the world that there is no such thing as, 'society'. It is not true. We are all part of a community, we give to that community and it nurtures us as we nurture it.

Thatcher thought that there was no society, no ‘community’, or at least that it was not important. What was more important was advancement of the self.

I hold this to be false, that we are indeed part of a community, that it is very important and that we owe a great deal to it.

I think nothing has damaged Britain's (and other's, though America, I think, may have always been this way) society more than the advent of 'self made men' and this idea of 'I'm in it for what I can get out of society, and once i've got it it's mine and I deserve it all - why should I have to give something to anyone else!?'.

I believe that our societies have been, possibly irreparably, damaged by this prevailing idea that we should be out for ourselves, that community isn’t important and that we are singular entities playing against one and other in a dog-eat-dog world.

Some people hold the view, I refer specifically here to taxes but it can be applied more generally, that, ‘What I’ve got is mine, why should anyone else get any? I deserve it all because I earnt it all!’. I think that this is both false and damaging:

False: You did not earn it all by your self. Anyone with a job earnt it because of their; customers, employers, upbringing, education, social values, help from friends, help from family and in short: Their community, however large or small. To what extent did you earn it your self? I think it can be fairly successfully argued that you would not have anything that you have without your community and therefore little justifications of selfishness simply do not stand up to extreme scrutiny.

Damaging: This is the attitude that destroys any sort of community and unity; why should anyone give anything back to the community if they earnt it all by themselves? It’s not selfish to keep what you earned all by your self, is it? ‘I earnt it, it’s mine, I want to keep it, I shouldn’t have to give any back’ is nothing but a justification for selfishness. And, yes, selfishness is an outdated moral term that is hard to apply to society but I believe that that is the case. It is nothing more than a damaging, greedy outlook on life that comes from this idea that people should just be out on the make because getting ahead is what matters and you did it your self.

Give something back to the entity that made you what you are, gave you what you have. There is no such thing as a 'self-made man'. Everything you built, you built on the backs of everyone before you and around you.

I feel people should give back to the community and ‘nurture it, as it nurtured them’ for the good of them, the good of everyone in the country and for the good of people in this country in the future and for the type of society that it creates.

You are not a self-made man and no one is, it’s a blandishment; a justification for socially acceptable selfishness. I think that the nature of people changes in their society, and I think the marked difference between 50 - 70s Britain and Britain today is a better and more clear example than any reference made to America.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Yep, there are egos out there.

I myself believe in sharing and all that. But there are those who don't see The Harm(on)y in giving back to the world.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Last edited by Wigert at Aug 1, 2008,
That, makes quite a bit of sense, but most of the time the community doesn't go out to help the "self made man", but they end up helping anyway.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Oh come on, that pun came in a flash of genius...
Quote by meh!
Oh come on, that pun came in a flash of genius...

Well, if it was a poll about bolemics or something similar, maybe, but theres no link in the two.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
Quote by sg255
Well, if it was a poll about bolemics or something similar, maybe, but theres no link in the two.

Look up polemic

You'll see how good my pun was
Oooooooooooh

NOW I get it. touche
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
Ask not what your [society] can do for you, ask what you can do for your [society].

Words of wisdom, even if they came from an imperialist bastard.
Quote by af_the_fragile
wall of text is hard to digest!!

You'll just have to stomach it...

OH IM ON ****ING FIRE TONIGHT

Quote by meh!
You'll just have to stomach it...

OH IM ON ****ING FIRE TONIGHT

zing!

yeah you make a good point stu. i voted in your poll coz i like polls
from daylight...
...into darkness
^ Hussy

(In case anyone whines, America has separate options because I think they're a remarkably different society to most of western Europe)