Hey guys, I have some gigs coming up. I need a new amp for this, I was thinking tube. I only have liek $200 to $400, more towards $300 and the valve junior seems to fit this. I know its only 5 watts, but its tube watts so its totallllly different. How loud can it get? I was gonna try it out at GC tomorrow. Whats UG's general opinion?

also, I have a '82 tubescreamer, can I use that with it adn get a good distortion or even a DS-1? II just need some info

Thanks
It's loud, but not loud enough for a gig. Even with a very light handed drummer I don't see it keeping up with the band.

What type of music is it for though?.
I highly doubt 5 watts is enough for gigging unless you're micking it up to a pa. Even if it was loud enough on its own it wouldn't provide enough headroom and you wouldn't get decent cleans out of it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I might get a tube combo off of craiglist. Can I buy the epiphone, get it loud and get a nice tone, and mic it and have it sound good?

How many tube watts would I need to gig like this without a PA? If 5 isn't enough. Any recommendations? I guess I can go higher, but $250 was a sweet spot
Dude in the Epiphone Forums just gigged with his Valve Junior (& P.A.) - used a POD XT and they played a Gym. Everyone was amazed by his tone including the other bands - 1 dude from another band even offered to loan him an amp when they saw him setting it up - then they became true believers when they heard his VJ & Pod piped through the P.A.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
How big is the gig?

If it's bar-sized or coffee-shop sized i think a 15-25 watt tube would do you good. You can always try 30 to be sure. If bigger, 30 or more should do it
Quote by Slash42x
I might get a tube combo off of craiglist. Can I buy the epiphone, get it loud and get a nice tone, and mic it and have it sound good?

How many tube watts would I need to gig like this without a PA? If 5 isn't enough. Any recommendations? I guess I can go higher, but $250 was a sweet spot

I'd say maybe... 50 watts if you wanna be able to play good cleans. 30 might cut it but i think it'll start distorting if you have it on the clean channel at high volumes. You could mic up the Epiphone though, but you'll wanna get a good condenser mic for it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
How big of a gig are you playing?
Maybe something like a Peavey Classic 30 would fit your needs.
Quote by Jack Carver
How big of a gig are you playing?
Maybe something like a Peavey Classic 30 would fit your needs.

it's at a local place here called club congress. I don't know how big it is in comparison to other places
Here is their website: http://www.hotelcongress.com/club/
What the ****.. I live in tucson too, LOL(the east side)

i might just have to buy that JCM800, if you don't get it of course..

Nah just kidding. I'm buying a Peavey ultra off tucson CL in a few days.

Also, in that ad(which I saw earlier today, haha!), he said it needs new pententiometers.

I'm not sure what those are though
It's loud enough. If it's not, mic it.

That being said, I think the tubescreamer will sound better with it than the DS-1. But experiment and see.
Guys, ever hear of a PA? Go for a 5 watt tube, crank it to noonish, and mike it. Point it at yourself to moniter your own tone, and have it miced and sent to the PA. Golly.
Hey slash may I recommend you check out guitars etc, on speedway and craycroft?

I just went in there 2 days ago and they had alot of amps in the back. Most of them are new, and I was only there to try some mesa's, but they had a used vox ac30 and a crate halfstack, not sure how much they went for though. Always worth a try
Quote by injected
Hey slash may I recommend you check out guitars etc, on speedway and craycroft?

I just went in there 2 days ago and they had alot of amps in the back. Most of them are new, and I was only there to try some mesa's, but they had a used vox ac30 and a crate halfstack, not sure how much they went for though. Always worth a try

I'm actually going there tomorrow. Hmm, I'm gonna check out what they have Thx@!
I found that they had alot more tube amps than guitar center down the street. GC has a lot of amps, but mostly solid state, not alot of tubes or specifically tube combos. guitars etc will definitely be worth checking out :P
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Guys, ever hear of a PA? Go for a 5 watt tube, crank it to noonish, and mike it. Point it at yourself to moniter your own tone, and have it miced and sent to the PA. Golly.

Yep,I'm mic'ing mine in a dokken cover band and it's working out great.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I'm pretty sure MrCarrot has played with his 5w tube, but hey, he's MrCarrot, he can do anything.