Page 1 of 2
Here we go. This was my first guitar, bla bla bla Squier, bla bla bla sucked, bla bla bla. This will probably the 7th re-doing of this guitar, but it's also debatably the most interesting.

I started with the body, which was origionally black. Then black with white stripes. Then the stripes got rubbed off. Then I wanted it red. Then I didn't want it red. Grey. Gloss black. Tan. Natural. Burnt. Flat black. Each re-painting was poorer than the next.

Now see the body drying after the final coats of finish. Neck will be from another Squier I just bought, tuners from Guitar Fetish, bridge and saddles from my mysterious parts box, electronics from a cheap pre-wired pickguard for now, and something fancier later. (Fancier will be two Lace Sensors, mabye a Hot Rails, some Orange Drops, and a neck-on push-pull)

Anyway: initial pics! More as it comes together!

wait so is this the paint job you're gonna use? It's pretty cool. it looks completely torn apart, which is cool.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Not Art... or is it? Rofl. More power to ya dude! I'm too poor to pull anything like this off... Lovin the paint
Post them.
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Awesome paint job is awesome. The "Not Art" thing is too much for me...sorry, but I don't like anything that even remotely references punk/emo/alt. rock (I used to love those types of things, so I can say that. So stfu people).

And you know we feed on pics.
Quote by Invader Jim
Awesome paint job is awesome. The "Not Art" thing is too much for me...sorry, but I don't like anything that even remotely references punk/emo/alt. rock (I used to love those types of things, so I can say that. So stfu people).

And you know we feed on pics.

How dare you bash my tagline...that's my motto, man. It's usually not so rashly splashed on something, but it's on the back...whatever.

Pics tommorow, it's acutally all assembled and such now. Just needs tweaking on the action and such. I like this neck, but I need to either hard relic it too, or just get another. I just wanted to effing finish this.

The Pickguard will change too, to another one my roomate painted, and new electronics as mentioned in the first post. This will actually evolve rather nicely, I hope.
Quote by noisefarmer
lose the "not art" bit.

words are for singers - not guitarists.

its on the back, so nobody would really see it anyway.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Invader Jim
Goddamn, spine, I didn't mean anything by it.

Shit...

I know you didn't! Didn't I put "lol" or something to indicate our understanding? I meant to! I dunno, I was sleepy as balls last night, I might have forgotten. No hard feelings?
Woah, I absolutely love the look of that thing. I think the "not art" on the back goes really well with the distressed look, too.

Definitely subscribing to this.
I are chav.
It'll certainly be unique, which is always good. I think more pictures are necessary.

and cue: 'nice shower'
Quote by guitar/bass76
It'll certainly be unique, which is always good. I think more pictures are necessary.

and cue: 'nice shower'

It's nicer when I'm in it, nekid. Awwwwwwwwwwyyyyyyeeeeah.

Alright, I'll go take pictures of the first version of this...version. Back in 20.
Fine! Here's some poor shots with my lappy's camera.

Artsy shot:

Other shot:

Hmm, still not sure about that CBS-style headstock.

Lololollololllolololololololwaffles.
you should rust the hardware a bit.. and burn the headstock a bit.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
The headstock looks new and the body looks, well, not. You should burn the headstock a bit or do whatever you did to make the body look like it does.
Fail burn marks only work for EVH or SRV.

That turned out good I like the paint alot .

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

I think the CBS styled headstock works well with the burnt out body. But you should relic it slightly - maybe not to the extremes you did on the body, but maybe a vintage varnish or something similar.
I are chav.
Quote by boo.
I think the CBS styled headstock works well with the burnt out body. But you should relic it slightly - maybe not to the extremes you did on the body, but maybe a vintage varnish or something similar.

You guys caught me being lazy...I really wanted to play it, and left the headstock. Like I said, I'm not sure if I'll keep this neck...but if I still like this neck by the time I need to change strings again, I'll sand some finish off the neck, mabye spray a little black paint on it too, then sand that off.

EDIT: Wait, where did I burn anything? I mean I did, but it's no longer visable...is it?
Last edited by the.spine.surfs at Aug 3, 2008,
i would definitely reconsider using a black or dark pickguard. something creme color or even an aged white would work. relics dont really look good with black pickguards since you cant really see the age or dirt/blood/sweat/grit that would imply years of playing and abuse.

it's an aesthetic that would make a huge difference.

Is that a tube of lube on the ground...?

Anyways, do something goofy to the headstock like you did to the body, and then try to find an aged pickguard or something to make it look completely relic'd.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by the.spine.surfs
EDIT: Wait, where did I burn anything? I mean I did, but it's no longer visable...is it?

It does kind of look like it was burnt, but in a good way. It looks more worn out than burnt out.

If you were to do a similar process like you did on the body to the neck, it would add to the whole awesome-ness.
I are chav.
Alright, guys, I get the message. I'll try to whale on the neck a little bit tonight.

Oh, the pickguard...this isn't a true "relic" project, in that I'm not trying to accuratly re-produce the look of an aged guitar. The new pickguard will be grey with a hand-painted design done my a roomate. That, or I'll just scuff up this black one; but I do like the look of the black. With that shape of headstock and the black pickguard, it's almost like a hard-worked CBS era strat...get it?
looks ace mate. i like the headstock, i'm building a tele with one of those necks at the mo

nice choice of tabs by the way.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
I would get a saw and some sandpaper and lop off the fat part of the headstock and reshape it so it looked like the 50s ones. Then I'd paint the headstock in black and sand it back down so it matched the body. But then, I'm crazy.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Very, very cool
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by Roc8995
I would get a saw and some sandpaper and lop off the fat part of the headstock and reshape it so it looked like the 50s ones. Then I'd paint the headstock in black and sand it back down so it matched the body. But then, I'm crazy.

But then I'd have to get a 50's style pickguard with one less hole, and a three way switch, because I'm anal. Then again, this is supposed to be CBS, and it clearly dosn't have a 3-bolt neck plate.
Don't screw with the neck by trying to make it look reliced. If anything, sand off the squier logo and try reshaping it. CBS headstocks just look awful.

Also, what pickups are you using? If it's the stock Squier ones, you should replace them. Guitarfetish.com had good cheap ones prewired to the pickguard. Maybe get a black tremolo too. I like the black strat jack.

Otherwise, this guitar is pretty cool.
Quote by Mecler
Don't screw with the neck by trying to make it look reliced. If anything, sand off the squier logo and try reshaping it. CBS headstocks just look awful.

Also, what pickups are you using? If it's the stock Squier ones, you should replace them. Guitarfetish.com had good cheap ones prewired to the pickguard. Maybe get a black tremolo too. I like the black strat jack.

Otherwise, this guitar is pretty cool.

Bitter irony, that's a pre-wired guitarfetish picguard on there now. It's...decent, but as I've said before, I'll be replaceing the whole assembly eventually.
That is one very unique finish! you should come up with a cool name for it lol.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
i think it's pretty awesome, though the cream/white relic pickguard sounded good.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Pics now!

This looks really cool by the way.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard