How easy or hard would it be to build a pedal to boost my volume for solos and when I find that I can't hear myself over the other guitarist in my band?
I was thinking just one knob for Gain or Volume or something like that and an On/Off switch. Nothing special.

I have no experience with building pedals or with electronics (like capacitors, resistors, etc.), except for a Kill-pedal that i built.

Do not tell me to just use my guitar's volume knob. For some reason, my knob does almost nothing. I think this is because i have a Spider, cause when i used my little Peavey my volume knob worked like it should.

If it would be easy, what parts would i need and how would i wire it?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
google is your friend,friend.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
i dont know how to make one, but i know you can buy one for cheap. they are like 30-40 and are shaped like a wha pedal so the amount you step on it, is the amount it gets lowered(i know its the opposite but read), so put it on half, fix ur volume level, then when you bring the pedal up it will get louder
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Quote by zbest
i dont know how to make one, but i know you can buy one for cheap. they are like 30-40 and are shaped like a wha pedal so the amount you step on it, is the amount it gets lowered(i know its the opposite but read), so put it on half, fix ur volume level, then when you bring the pedal up it will get louder

I don't wanna spend much money. And this isn't the type of thing i'm talking about. I want to build something like this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-M-133-Micro-Amp-Pedal-151104-i1124435.gc
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
A highly-recommended option here would be the EHX LPB-1. It's a booster, just boosts your volume, and a really simple circuit.

This is the circuit, just follow it:
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
What if i don't want the knob, i just want it to be full? I am knew to electrics like this but this seems like the best pedal to start on building with. Would i need like a pcb board or what would i need to build it? And is this pedal just like a big mid boost, to cut through, because thats what my amps boost basically is and so i wanted a boost pedal.
Quote by cfhwarhead
What if i don't want the knob, i just want it to be full? I am knew to electrics like this but this seems like the best pedal to start on building with. Would i need like a pcb board or what would i need to build it? And is this pedal just like a big mid boost, to cut through, because thats what my amps boost basically is and so i wanted a boost pedal.

You could use perfboard just as easily as PCB way cheaper, but it can be hard to layout from a schematic if you don't have any experience.If you want it too be full without the knob you could just use a trimpot or I think you can just wire straight to the next component in some cases.

here is a simple one to build.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Itemid=26 or the one posted earlier, look them up on youtube and stuff for sound.
Quote by Invader Jim
My '63 Hofner 182 has a volume boost switch. It's just 2 resistors on a DPDT switch.

That's not a boost though...

Its probably just standard volume than some cut. The cut would make the standard volume seem like a boost me thinks...
How much would it cost for all the parts? I don't really NEED one of these, I just wanna get into building pedals.
At general guitar gadgets they do a kit for an electro harmonix LPB2 pedal. It is a boost. The kit costs $38 and includes everything you need (pre drilled case, components, switch, PCB etc) HERE is a link. They have good instructions aswell
Eh... I don't feel like spending 40 bucks on something I don't really need.
Quote by supergerbil
At general guitar gadgets they do a kit for an electro harmonix LPB2 pedal. It is a boost. The kit costs $38 and includes everything you need (pre drilled case, components, switch, PCB etc) HERE is a link. They have good instructions aswell

I think he wants to do this as a for fun and to start thing, without spending much money. I am the same, i just want an easy build, i dont want to pay 40 on it.
You could probably make a simple 1 knob boost for around 20 dollars plus shipping charges. It's the pots, Jacks, switches, and enclosures that take all the money, Build one and maybe somebody that likes it will buy it off of you and you could sell it for a certain amount of profit. Then build another one and have an extra 20$ from profit. Take them to school or something.

Stay away from kits if you can because they charge a lot more than they should, you can get a fuzz face kit for like 55$ at GGG or you could self build one for like 30$
Quote by kurtlives91
That's not a boost though...

Its probably just standard volume than some cut. The cut would make the standard volume seem like a boost me thinks...

Yeah, I know, but I wanted it to sound cooler.
Quote by kurtlives91
Haha it is neat... I would try a cap in parallel or in series with one of the resistors. Make a high or low pass filter. That could be useful.

...what?