hey i just started playing the guitar and i was wondering, am i susposed to mute the string(s) after i play a note or chord?

for example if i play 3rd fret 1st string then play 3rd fret 3rd string, do i play the 1st string 3rd fret, then release the 1st string to stop it from sounding, then play the 3rd string 3rd fret? or just hold my hand position and let both strings ring togetheras i play?

If i am susposed to release/mute after playing each note/chord how would i mute an open string such as playing open 1st string then 3rd fret 3rd string? i wont hav any fingers on the open string so how do i 'release' the string to mute it?

It would help me a lot if i could get some answers, thanks
well some music asks you to let it ring
so just listen to the music your trying to play
and you can mute a open string by placing a finger on it
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Generally you would only hold a note for it's value, unless it says "let ring".
Quote by Aisten
for example if i play 3rd fret 1st string then play 3rd fret 3rd string, do i play the 1st string 3rd fret, then release the 1st string to stop it from sounding, then play the 3rd string 3rd fret? or just hold my hand position and let both strings ring togetheras i play?
Most of the time you just play one note at a time. Play the note for it's intended value and move on to another.
Quote by Aisten
If i am susposed to release/mute after playing each note/chord how would i mute an open string such as playing open 1st string then 3rd fret 3rd string? i wont hav any fingers on the open string so how do i 'release' the string to mute it?
You can mute strings with either your palm of your picking hand or a finger from your fretting hand. I use my fretting hand when it's adjacent to the string I'm muting (watch out for natural harmonics though), otherwise I use my picking hand's palm.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Wicked_Bassist7
depends....

That was damn near pointless.

As is this post.
thanks this is helping a lot but...

if i play the 1st string open then play a note on the 6th string, how would i mute the open string with my fretting hand because my fingers are too far away from the 1st string. I dont like right-hand muting because it when im playing a song and i right hand mute the song just suddenly stops. Kinda like an awkward silence when youre talking to someone.
because if you have you hands in a claw like shape you should be able to use your pointer to barely touch the low E string. If you are just starting out give me a message sometime and i'll try to send you some techniques and junk that will HELP get started...but the ringing of one string won't matter to much in the beginning...it all goes uphill once you start!!mwuahaha