so, i posted on here a week or so ago asking if anyone else had broken a finger on their left hand just to see if i am gunna come out of it fine, and still be able to play........ to make matters even better, yesterday i cut the tip off my thumb on my right hand with a knife. at least it is my right hand, and i slap with the side of my thumb. but anchoring my finger on the body hurts like a mofo.
That must suck. I forgot which bassist it was, but he had the nerve endings ripped out of his hand by a dog, he had to wrap up his hands with medical tape every time he played, you could try that.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
at the moment i have to tape the joint in my finger to play. I tried my best to let i heal but too many withdrawls. I have lost so much playing skill, it sucks. At least my thumb just hurts, it should not impair my playing any further than the finger has, i hope.
I broke my pinky on my left hand probably a year ago. It only took a couple of weeks to heal, but it sucked ass, i had to use the buddy system so my ring finger was immobile too. Its better now, the only difference is my pinky sticks out more left than it used to, but its actually helped me.. lol
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suggest you select the least popular of the woman-creatures, and fart directly in her face.
i would definitely consider taking a break for a while, i know it'll be hard but if you keep aggravating your injuries it'll take much longer for them to heal
Well, Django could only use two fingers of his fretting hand, and he played veeery good. Algo Tommy Iommi had the tip of some fingers cut off..so, if you don't lose the complete hand, you can still play.
Now is your chance to master your slap and pop technique. With your face.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I have chipped a piece of bone right on the joint of my right index finger - oh god the pain. It basically has no intention of healing any time soon (largely my own fault because I keep using it, no choice... imminent gig). If you've done similar, do not use it. Let it heal, or at least fuse back together, and slowly resume playing once it's set. Otherwise it'll either not heal at all for a long long time, or heal all crooked and ****ty, restricting it's movement and causing a great deal of long term pain and aggravation.

As for the chunk of missing thumb, tough break I guess, just let it scab up and start re-growing skin before you try anything fancy with it. Or develop a technique without anchoring for a while.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
The worst I ever did was burn the tips of my fingers on my fretting hand. Uncomfortable fretting but not the end of the world.

For your thumb, start using the floating thumb technique. The silver lining is that it will probably result in a more efficient and faster plucking technique overall while your thumb is healing.

And very nice scooter...

Suck it up! I've seen worse.

On a more serious note. Let the finger heal up, or try floating.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by RFer
Well, Django could only use two fingers of his fretting hand, and he played veeery good. Algo Tommy Iommi had the tip of some fingers cut off..so, if you don't lose the complete hand, you can still play.

Django played guitar, and guitar strings are much less painful to play then bass strings.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
captain insano, nice broken arm. I did that a few years ago as well, but when i played guitar. but i have a steal plate in it now, so if it happens again they just need to chuck my arm in a hydraulic press, and het presto, good as new.
Quote by anarkee
The worst I ever did was burn the tips of my fingers on my fretting hand. Uncomfortable fretting but not the end of the world.

yeh i did that once, that part of the lawn mower that says do not touch....i touched it

it hurt.

and last week i was at the beach and got bit by a crab on the tip of my right index finger, and had to play bass that night.....it turned out quite funny
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I have the same problem, i broke my finger in the great AFL accident of '07 had to have K wires inserted, doctors said I had 10% chance of gettin that pinky finger on my left mobile again...however my pinky finger didnt care much for statistics and now it works fine

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by MetalBass 77
Am i the only one whos finger hasnt been insanely destroyed?

Don't worry, I haven't either. We're probably the only bassists on this forum that avoid finger injuries.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
dont forget good ol' lovalble sonsie

id never put my fingers in danger
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
ok, you too sonsie.

This is a very elite club though.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
I sprained my middle finger on my right hand playing rugby, it was weird because I could still move it, but it was really stiff. Now it leans slightly to the right, and is twisted a bit.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by anarkee

Oh I hate that. I scorched my left hand trying to resolder a broken connection to the input jack on my first bass.. After a few days the pain subsided and i got these big massive burn callouses which were kinda cool.. but then they went away in a few days.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Morphox
It'd suck if you got carpal tunnel. Like tomorrow or something.

Oh, don't say that. I just scheduled a doctors appointment because I think I might be getting it.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Because everyone like playing with knives right after breaking a finger.....
I gouged my thumb with a piece of extended metal. I wasn't able to slap without pain for a week.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
the only things ive done have been to my right hand while I was playing with a pick .
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
i dislocated my pinkie on my left hand playing goalkeeper. sucks man. just sent my babies for a set up. now no playing for another 2 weeks or so.

but what i am doing is reading up properly on theory and stuff. something i neglected for awhile.