Hey guys I'm new here and I have a some questions.
I know the basics of music theory but have never learned about the scales.
Why are they important??
Can they better your guitar skills?
Is there an online tutorial somewhere where I can learn and practice them?
Thanks
scales are important because they teach you how things sound good together, and how things sound bad together.
if you play a chord and have someone solo over the scale that the chord is made out of, it will sound good.
but if you have someone play a chord and solo over a totally different scale it will sound HORRIBLE.
yes, they can better your guitar skills cause how are you supposed to solo if you dont know scales????
i dont know of any online tutorials, but the idiots guide to music theory book is AMAZING.
and no, im not calling you an idiot.
i refer to that book like everysingle day lol
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
scales are important because they teach you how things sound good together, and how things sound bad together.
if you play a chord and have someone solo over the scale that the chord is made out of, it will sound good.
but if you have someone play a chord and solo over a totally different scale it will sound HORRIBLE.
yes, they can better your guitar skills cause how are you supposed to solo if you dont know scales????
i dont know of any online tutorials, but the idiots guide to music theory book is AMAZING.
and no, im not calling you an idiot.
i refer to that book like everysingle day lol

Thanks. I have looked at that booked a few times and it looks really interesting. I think that I will buy it.
MusicTheoryNerd is only part right. It is necessary to understand the notes (the notes in the scale) contained in the key that your rhythm player is playing his chords in so you can play something complementary and in key. But knowing the scales isn't exactly about knowing what sounds good together (althought that's part of it). The Major scale is THE basis for all western music theory. So, I'm a little lost when you say you understand music theory, but don't know the scales. Impossible.

Here's what I would suggest you do.

1. Learn the Major scale COLD in the key of C Major. In all 7 positions, and don't let anyone tell you that they are modes. They're not. They are just the same Major scale, played in 7 different positions on the fretboard.

2. When you're learning them (the patterns) also concetrate on learning which scale degree the notes in each pattern are.

3. Learn the Diatonic Chord Sequence in the key of C major.

Then you will know how to identify all the notes in the key of C Major everywhere on the fretbaord. You will also know all the chords contained within the key of C Major.

Once you understand the interconnectivity of the scales to the chords in a single key, all you have to do is physically shift EVERYTHING at once to another root on the fretboard to play in any other key. It's a lot simpler than it looks or sounds.

Check out www.reallylearnguitar.com/freetutorials.htm to see all the dtails and diagrams for all of this. Then you can decide for yourself what you need to buy. You can do it!
Jam On!
^Absolutely, but I'd like to add that you should learn the notes, not just boxes. Learn the notes on your fretboard first, then learn the notes of the scale. Be able to recite em' in your sleep. Be able to play them laterally (up and down the neck) and horizontally (up and down the strings). Scales are like maps for your fretboard, they let you know what notes will fit in a certain song. Your playing will improve drasticly by learning them.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
They don't make you a better player technically, but theoricly, yes. Scales are a must-learn, and they do still practice your technique a lot if you play them. They're a good practice to get better and faster.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

mmmhh, I know that there are lots of types of scales for the same root note (root note is tha note in which a song is played). you have : pentatonic, Dorian, dimished, harmonic, and one I think is the one you call major, i call it "natural", and it is tha one that in A minor gives you A B C D E F G notes...

try to find (like I am trying to do right now) as much "types" of scales you can, memorize them, and play over a song with them (be sure the root note of the scale you are playing is the same of the song...)

good luck, pal!