Is it possible to make a 4 string into a 5 or should i just save up the bucks and just get a 5 string?
I would save up, making a 4 stringer into a 5 will require some machine head and major neck adjustments.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
thanks man. not to turn this into another question but is the standard jazz bass 5 string model any good or i should save up for an american /24?
I believe there is, The Active Jazz V, but if it were me, I'd get the Jazz 24. But I'd try them both of them out if you can.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ive played the 4 string jazz 24 and it has a nice feel its just i love the look of the classic jazz bass, but im gonna try them out. once i get a 5 string my bass collection will be complete. 4 string with p-bass pick ups, 5 string with j-bass pick upsm and 6 string with humbuckers.
trust me, it wont be complete. the GAS will never leave you...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
trust me, it wont be complete. the GAS will never leave you...

what the hell does GAS mean? (please no fart jokes)
Guitar
Acquisition
Syndrome

I'm gonna start a bass company called Noble... then everyone will get Noble GAS!!!!

Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
GAS is like the black plague but with one difference

you cant stop GAS
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
haha but anyways i guess itll always be that one last bass. anyways thanks for the advice im gonna try out some 5 string basses maybe sunday. thanks again
I love the Jazz V 24. If I wasn't GASing for an Urge II and a Euro Spector (5er) that bass would be on my list. JazzRockFeel has one, so if you want another opinion PM him as well.
Quote by anarkee
I love the Jazz V 24. If I wasn't GASing for an Urge II and a Euro Spector (5er) that bass would be on my list. JazzRockFeel has one, so if you want another opinion PM him as well.

thanks for the advice. also ive never heard of urge, is that a company? I also like spectors so getting a 5'er is gonna be damn hard.
Urge II is Stu Hamm's Fender signature bass. Here's a picture..

And I love the Spector 5 string over the Jazz V 24, but try both and a bunch of others before making a decision.
Quote by anarkee
Urge II is Stu Hamm's Fender signature bass. Here's a picture..

And I love the Spector 5 string over the Jazz V 24, but try both and a bunch of others before making a decision.

im gonna try to try some out sunday. thanks for the advice, also have u played the jazz 24 4 string i kinda like the feel of it and i was wondering if it was like V.
The feel is the same. I like the string spacing on the Jazz V 24 as well, and it had a really nice tone. I didn't hear the single pup hum issue that some people talk about, but make sure you put the bass through its paces to make sure its for you.

Have fun and let us know what you end up with!
thanks again for the advice, the one music store i go to keeps like the same basses on the wall and like never get new ones so i have to hope that something i want to try will be up there. i definitley want to check out a new music store
nail a board to the side of ur fretboard with a bolt screwed into the top and wrap a string to the bolt and use a socket wrench to tune it.
Making a 4 string a 5 string wouldn't work. It is technically possible, but stupid. First the neck is thinner than an average 5 string so you'd have to make a custom bridge to have a string spacing that would fit the neck. which would be pretty damn small. Second the neck isn't made for 5 strings, so it's highly likely that it won't support the tension overtime and either warp or snap. You'd also have to change your pickups because they are meant for 4 strings.

So you're better off saving for a 5 string because it would probably cost you around the same to make your 4 string a fiver and it wouldn't work out too well.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.